[B5JMS] Gore's speech re civil liberty

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Wed Nov 26 04:28:32 EST 2003

From: Anson Macdonald <anson_macdonald at comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 24 Nov 2003 13:22:48 +0000 (UTC)

Jms at B5 wrote:

>>Gore's platform included more gun control.  Gun control
>>violates the Second Amendment, which guarantees the Right to Keep and
>>Bear Arms, which is indeed a civil liberty.
>>

> Let's be more specific.  What it actually says is:
>
> "A well regulated militia, being necessary to the security of a free state, the
> right of the people to keep and bear arms, shall not be infringed."
>
> First, the rights invoked refer specifically to "a well regulated militia."
> Anti-gun law advocates tend to omit that part of the sentence out, as you did
> just above.

The folks who wrote the phrase "well-regulated militia" meant that the
militia would operate smoothly.  It's the justification for the "right
of the people to keep and bear arms shall not be infringed," not a
limitation upon it.  Their belief was that a citizenry easily familiar
with arms would be more easily integrated into organized militias and
the armed forces.  An armed populace was also considered the best
deterrent against adventurism by a standing army.  It follows, I
believe, that an armed populace would also be an good deterrent against
terrorism.  Even the relatively timid measure of arming pilots could
well prevent another 9/11, and would most likely *have* prevented 9/11.

> Second, most of what's been advocated is simple gun registration, which dose
> not interfere itself with the ability to keep and bear arms.

No, registration does not interfere with the ability to keep and bear
arms.  But it does make it frighteningly easy to confiscate those arms
at a later date, as administrations and goverment policies change from
one election to the next.  That's why certain rights are enshrined in
the constitution, to render such rights as impervious as possible to the
ever-changing whims of the governors and the governed.

> Third, bear in mind that some of the Al Qaeda docs that surfaced during the
> campaign refer to the fact that those working inside the US should purchase
> guns legally, not buy them off the street, because they're so easy to obtain
> here.  The resultant theory is that good gun registration laws could help to
> prevent the use of such guns by, say, terrorists.

How exactly would that work?  An honest gun owner will live at the same
address for years, fill out change-of-address cards when he moves, has
credit cards, bank accounts, occupations, etc.  It won't be hard to find
his gun years after the transaction.  A terrorist, however, will send
the gun he bought legally somewhere else immediately.  The terrorist
will also be doing his best to avoid leaving the kind of paper trail an
honest citizen would.  The gun will change hands numerous times.  The
serial number will be destroyed ASAP.  The gun will effectively
disappear.  Registering his gun accomplishes nothing, so the only
lasting effect of registration is to imperil the populace.

Refusing to sell guns to people with arabic surnames, as discriminatory
and as un-democratic as that would be, would probably be more effective
than any gun registration.  But I'm not proposing that, either.

> But the administration is too busy prying into your choice of books at the
> library to look into who's buying weapons that can, oh, I dunno...kill people.

That, we can agree on.  But a democratic administration would be no
better, just in slightly different ways.  A democrat who whines about
some civil liberties being eroded while advocating the erosion of other
civil liberties, as Gore was, is a hypocrite.

In case you're wondering, I'm a Libertarian.  Bush and Gore were equally
piss-poor choices for president.