[B5JMS] Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Aug 6 03:17:12 EDT 2004

From: Paul O'Brien <paul at SPAMBLOCK.esoterica.demon.co.uk>
Date: Thu, 5 Aug 2004 21:33:33 +0100

In message <20040805025244.12159.00002942 at mb-m01.aol.com>, Jms at B5
<jmsatb5 at aol.com> writes
>To jump in here...as much as I can, I always try to do my homework, and
>I'd have to be the sloppiest writer in the history of...well, really
>sloppy writers to not take into account the time factor in Spidey
>chronology, and deal with it straight-up in the writing.

...?!?

Have you actually READ any of the stuff that's come out of Axel Alonso's
office in the last few years?

The current Spider-Man office is responsible for TROUBLE, a miniseries
that tried to establish Aunt May as Peter's mother, with an 18-year age
gap - manifestly impossible, but that didn't stop them having a go.

This is also the office with an attitude to continuity so relaxed that
they can't even make up their mind whether MARVEL KNIGHTS SPIDER-MAN is
in the Marvel Universe *at all.*  (Mark Millar says it is.  Axel Alonso
says it isn't.)

Hell, Alonso has given interviews pretty much saying that he doesn't
really care about the subject.

And you're suggesting that readers should give the Spider-Man office the
benefit of the doubt on continuity matters?

Why should they?

--
Paul O'Brien

THE X-AXIS - http://www.thexaxis.com
ARTICLE 10 - http://www.ninthart.com
LIVEJOURNAL - http://www.livejournal.com/~paulobrien

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 05 Aug 2004 21:59:10 GMT

>And you're suggesting that readers should give the Spider-Man office the
>benefit of the doubt on continuity matters?
>
>Why should they?

Show me where in my message I mentioned the office.  I just said what *I* was
doing, nobody else.  And I can tell you that whenever I've gone into Spidey's
past, I've made it a point to research the thing to try and get it right, to
the point of referring to specific panels in previous issues as reference for
the art.

And not one person at the Marvel office has ever said one word to me about not
doing so.