[B5JMS] Amazing Spider-Man #510 (SPOILER SPACE--BIG REVELATION)

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Aug 15 03:20:21 EDT 2004

From: arromdee at green.rahul.net (Ken Arromdee)
Date: Tue, 10 Aug 2004 16:16:07 +0000 (UTC)

In article <4118aa0b.41999879 at news.paradise.net.nz>,
Matthew Vincent <mbvincent at paradise.net.nz> wrote:
>>Second, these explanations, while *possible* in the MU, aren't the first
>>choice.  If Peter knows the ages don't add up, he has a choice between a
>>prosaic explanation (fake or misleading letter) or a weird explanation
>>(Marvel science).  Wouldn't you pick the prosaic one even in the MU?
>Well, all sorts of things are possible. Gwen could have mentioned
>their names in the same letter as the one telling Spidey about the
>pregnancy, without them being his and her children. ...

But Peter seemed to think it made sense that they're Gwen's kids.

If they're not *really* Gwen's kids, that only solves half the problem--the
other half is "why did Peter ever think they were in the first place, since
the timeline doesn't add up"?  Barring weird Marvel science, there is no
explanation for that.
--
       Ken Arromdee / arromdee_AT_rahul.net / http://www.rahul.net/arromdee

"One day, I shall come back.  Yes, I shall come back! Until that day, there
must be no regrets, no tears, no anxieties.  Just go forward in all your
beliefs, and prove to me that I am not mistaken in mine..."
"

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 15 Aug 2004 06:11:38 GMT

>But Peter seemed to think it made sense that they're Gwen's kids.

Seems to being the operative term.  Believe me, Peter is more skeptical than a
lot of other people, and than a lot of people seem to think he is.

So the first thing he's going to want to do is to determine if, in fact, what
he just read is *true* or not.  That's the thing of it...a lot of readers have
made assumptions -- which may or may not be true until you have the evidence in
-- about Gwen, but Peter's a good scientist, he wants facts.

And that desire for the facts led to one of the most heart-breaking scenes I've
ever written in a comic...and it's in the next issue.

>If they're not *really* Gwen's kids, that only solves half the problem--the
>other half is "why did Peter ever think they were in the first place, since
>the timeline doesn't add up"?

Once again, that assumes that Peter has bought into it instantly...wait until
next issue.