[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: File Sharing, Sci-Fi TV and the art of motorcycle

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 12 03:17:26 EST 2004

From: "Andrew Swallow" <am.swallow at eatspam.btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 9 Dec 2004 02:33:11 +0000 (UTC)

"Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20041207205024.21692.00001492 at mb-m11.aol.com...
[snip]
> You mean, aside from the fact that it's massively illegal?  I mean, to a
> certain extent, the task here is to show that it's immoral to steal a car
> because one might scrape the paint or affect the business of local repair
shops
> after it's been cargo-shipped to some distant city.

1.  The laws on media copyright were not authorised by the
general public.  They were got through Congress by a
mixture of enormous bribes and con tricks.  Most
politicians thought they were industry only bills and
did not bother reading them.  If warned that they were
handling proposed laws designed to send voters to
jail Congressmen would have negotiated every clause
and required a lot more proof.

Hollywood will be punished for that cheat.

Avoid jury trials against members of the audience,
juries do not like cheats.

Could similar laws to the current ones have been negotiated
with the general public?  Probably but it would have taken
several years.

2.  There is a difference between downloads and unpaid
downloads.  PayPal and credit cards exists - use them.

Andrew Swallow