[B5JMS] And so it begins???

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Dec 30 03:15:02 EST 2004

From: Methuselah Jones <methuselah at altgeek.org>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2004 19:29:17 +0000 (UTC)

Carved in mystic runes upon the very living rock, the last words of Kerr
of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated make plain:

> "Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
> news:20041208060307.23255.00001564 at mb-m03.aol.com...
>>
>> And it's nearly finished selecting the new members of its cabinet....
>
> Petty insults?  Beneath you JMS.  I'm still waiting for you to inform
> us what the Democratic Party needs to do to fix the political system,
> since you already gave us so much information on what the Republican
> Party needs to do, immediately after telling us both parties were at
> fault.

Political humor is as old as politics. Presidents, kings, emperors, clan
leaders and chieftans have all been subjected to it. Joe's comment could
apply to any president or other leader that appoints a cabinet, past or
present, American or other. Automatically taking it and aiming at
whatever politician you're supporting suggests that you are uncertain
about that politician and/or your support of him or her. It's called
"being defensive".

You notice that I'm speaking generically; I have no idea whom you support
politically. Given the current political environment and your snide
comment about "the Democratic Party" (which apparently is OK for you to
do), I assume it's GW. This would also be in line with GW's philosophy of
"If you're not with us, you're against us."

It's important to be able to laugh -- at life in general, and perhaps
most importantly at ourselves. Mark Twain said, "Humor is the great
thing, the saving thing. The minute it crops up, all our irritations and
resentments slip away and a sunny spirit takes their place." But I guess
that only applies to people capable of recognizing humor.

--
Methuselah
"Being in a minority, even a minority of one, does not make one insane."