[B5JMS] So, I'm thinking about buying a lap-top

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 20 03:16:46 EDT 2004

From: PsicopJeffG at hotmail.com (Jeffrey Gustafson)
Date: Mon, 20 Sep 2004 05:12:47 +0000 (UTC)

[REPOST - I think the original (9/14) got lost in the crash]

So, I'm thinking about buying a lap-top.

I've never owned one before, and all the computers I have ever owned
have sucked.  Plus, I'm really not that computer literate.

So, I saw this ad for an HP notebook, with, if approoved, no payments
for 12 months, and when payments start, just 41 dollars a month.
Obviously, price cannot be the only consideration, but it is a major
factor in my potential purchase.  Gettin on with it, here are the
specs on the computer they are offering...

Its the Hewlitt-Packard dv1000 Series PC.  It uses Windows XP Home,
and a 1.6 GHz Intel Pentium M 725 processor.  It uses an eighty gig
hard drive with "512MB DDR SDRAM (1x512MB)" (?) memory.  It has a
fourteen inch (ahem) WXGA (1280x768) screen, a DVD/CD-RW drive, and
some other standard stuff.  Plus a free printer I'll likely never use.
 A major plus, though, is that it's got built-in WiFi capability - a
big deal for a cash-strapped New Yorker who can probably find
thousands of places to get high-speed internet access for free (thus,
amongst other things, the desire for a laptop).

The price is $1374.00, with free shipping, and anywhere between $50
and $150 in rebates.

Is this too expensive?  Should I try a different brand?  Should I go
to an actual store?  Ditch the idea alltogether?  What about Apple?
And does this dress make me look fat?

You lovely, talented, tech-savvy folks have always been knowledgable
on such whatsits, so any help will be rewarded with a thank-you
up-front.

      -The Jeff

Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>