[B5JMS] Err... (gulps) Ahh... JMS, I hope I didn't open a "can of worms"

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Mon Sep 27 03:16:40 EDT 2004

From: "Mac Breck" <macthevorlon at yahoo.com>
Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 03:39:37 +0000 (UTC)

"Jms at B5" <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote in message
news:20040921032940.25434.00000994 at mb-m04.aol.com...
> >So anyways, just for giggles I thought "Well I wonder
what Jerry Doyle
> >thinks about the new project?" so I sent an (ONLY ONE!!!)
E-mail.
> >Thinking Jerry's a busy guy might not even see mine.
Which, hey I'm
> >fine with, and understand, 9 out of 10 E-mails I get I
don't even
> >read, DELETED.
> >
> >So you can imagine my shock when I got an E-mail back in
a few days!

> >Now keep in mind I have the mind set of a Babylon 5 hard
core geek. So
> >when I wrote the E-mail, I was thinking "Oh, gee, I'll
bet the cast is
> >as up to date on Babylon 5: The Memory of Shadows as all
of us "here"
> >are. What better way to sneak (here's where you can slap
me up side
> >the head) some info on the new project!"
> >
> >So it's with that in mind that the following E-mail
"happened".

> >_________________________________________
> >arkofthekundert at juno.com wrote:
> >
> >"So, has JMS let you see the script for "Babylon 5: The
Memory of
> >Shadows"?
> >I gather if so that you can't talk at length about it,
but what are
> >your thoughts regaurding the over all writing of it?
Good, bad?

> >Arlen Kundert"
> >

> Allow me to explain the multitude of things you did wrong
here.

> There's fannish (I use that term in a neutral fashion
here, only to distinguish
> between a fan of what's done, and those charged with the
doing of it) fannish
> interest in something, and the day to day reality of
people who make a living
> in this area.
>
> You went to someone you did not know, asking a question
you knew in your heart
> you probably couldn't get an answer to in any event, about
a confidential
> matter which that person may or may not yet have been
informed
> himself...

> meaning if he wasn't, he'd feel out of the loop,

Yes, that would be a problem, especially considering some of
the things that went back and forth in interviews awhile
back.

> and if he was, he'd
> have to lie or be disingenuous.

...or say, he couldn't comment.

> You did not "open a can of worms."
>
> You stuck your nose where it did not belong.

And that would be *between* you and the actor, who are both
*in* the business.  If it had been asked at a con, where
both you and Jerry had been sitting next to each other at
the same table, *that* would have been OK, correct?

--
Mac Breck (KoshN) - (who's been known to send a brusque, but
IMO correct, private email, now and then, when it's

>And that would be *between* you and the actor, who are both
>*in* the business.  If it had been asked at a con, where
>both you and Jerry had been sitting next to each other at
>the same table, *that* would have been OK, correct?

Absolutely.