[B5JMS] ATTN: JMS - Short Stories

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Sat Aug 13 04:27:14 EDT 2005

From: "John Jr" <johnnjr at gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2005 03:45:45 +0000 (UTC)

Hi!

I wonder if you (or anyone here) could give me some insight to SF short
story writing.  I have read Analog and Asimov's for a while now and
find that the short stories that are published there as well as short
stories by other authors and I find that I seem unable to come up with
an idea that is short story-ish.  Do you think that the short story has
a different purpose than the novel or are they similar but of different
lengths.

It seems to me that if you read a novel you will read a story that is
very fleshed out with character development and weaving plotlines, etc
and the thing the story is about below the plot is able to come out
gradually and almost subconciously.  The short story seems to hit the
reader in the face with the thesis behind the story.  In other words
the short story subjugates characters and complicated plot to the
blatant "meaning" of the story?

To be blunt and give an unrefined explanation of what I mean, the short
story seems more likely to be disturbing or extremely moving or
extremely thought provoking.  Where as a novel length story does the
same thing more subtley.

Is it possible for someone to be able to write novels and pruduce
viable ideas for a novel but not a short story?  I hear it very often
that short stories are the way to start but my ideas seems too big.

Any insight would be MUCH appreciated,

John