[B5JMS] Joe and Harlan at the Movies

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Tue Dec 27 04:30:09 EST 2005

From: Keith Cramer <remarck at hotmail.com>
Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 20:22:05 +0000 (UTC)

Harlan sent me.  Well, Harlan sent everyone, really.  There has been a
thread over on Webderland recently of rude movie behavior, and Harlan
popped in and said the following:

"Some day, when I get up the proper mind-set to retell the tales, I'll
ensorcel you with the two best "shutting up people who talk in movies"
stories in my repertoire of intentional, over-the-top violence in public
places. Until that time, if you want to enjoy one of those two tales (told
not nearly as well as I do it) you can go find Joe Straczynski's website
and ask him. He was part of the brouhaha and is one-third of my living
proof that I don't make this shit up.

Ta-ta, kiddies. -he"

Keith again.  And of couse rampant speculation ensued, and the thread
continued.  A day or two later, Harlan posted this:

"MOVIE THEATER AUDIENCE BABBLE REDUX

ANDREW LAUBACHER:

The essay that included the anecdote about the guy yelling at "Leroy" in a
NYC movie theater years ago was a section of the piece titled "The 3 Most
Important Things in Life" and, yes, it IS a terrifying, marvelous story,
available in my book.

You're right.

But you're wrong.

The two experiences to which I obliquely refer are two I've never
published. They happened TO ME, as opposed to the one you know, at which I
was merely a huddled, terrified observer.

No, the two most interesting SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU!!
stories of my own personal experience remain shrouded in silence. But, as I
suggested, you can always go over to Joe Straczynski's gabfest and tell him
Harlan sent you. I haven't busted Joe's chops soundly since the last time
we had dinner, all four of us, and I sorta miss the pleasant hiss of steam
coming outta his ears.

Yr. pal, Harlan"

Keith again:

So, if you are kindly disposed to recall the tale in question, I'm sure all
will be amused.  If you post it here, I'll copy and paste it over on
Webderland, verbatim.

Thanks for your consideration.  And thanks for B5.

-Keith Cramer

> Harlan sent me.  Well, Harlan sent everyone, really.  There has been a
> thread over on Webderland recently of rude movie behavior, and Harlan
> popped in and said the following:
>
> "Some day, when I get up the proper mind-set to retell the tales, I'll
> ensorcel you with the two best "shutting up people who talk in movies"
> stories in my repertoire of intentional, over-the-top violence in public
> places. Until that time, if you want to enjoy one of those two tales (told
> not nearly as well as I do it) you can go find Joe Straczynski's website
> and ask him. He was part of the brouhaha and is one-third of my living
> proof that I don't make this shit up.
>
> Ta-ta, kiddies. -he"
>
> Keith again.  And of couse rampant speculation ensued, and the thread
> continued.  A day or two later, Harlan posted this:
>

> "MOVIE THEATER AUDIENCE BABBLE REDUX
>
> ANDREW LAUBACHER:
>
> The essay that included the anecdote about the guy yelling at "Leroy" in a
> NYC movie theater years ago was a section of the piece titled "The 3 Most
> Important Things in Life" and, yes, it IS a terrifying, marvelous story,
> available in my book.
>
> You're right.
>
> But you're wrong.
>
> The two experiences to which I obliquely refer are two I've never
> published. They happened TO ME, as opposed to the one you know, at which I
> was merely a huddled, terrified observer.
>
> No, the two most interesting SHUT THE FUCK UP OR I'LL KILL YOU!!
> stories of my own personal experience remain shrouded in silence. But, as I
> suggested, you can always go over to Joe Straczynski's gabfest and tell him
> Harlan sent you. I haven't busted Joe's chops soundly since the last time
> we had dinner, all four of us, and I sorta miss the pleasant hiss of steam
> coming outta his ears.
>
> Yr. pal, Harlan"

> Keith again:
>
> So, if you are kindly disposed to recall the tale in question, I'm sure all
> will be amused.  If you post it here, I'll copy and paste it over on
> Webderland, verbatim.
>
> Thanks for your consideration.  And thanks for B5.
>
> -Keith Cramer

The problem is...just to tell it *verbally* takes nearly 20 minutes,
it's not something you can sum up in a few paragraphs.  It would be a
fifteen page essay, because it covered a lot of time and permutations.

So my suggestion is that somebody at a convention ask this, so it'll
get voice recorded, and can be made available for anyone who wants to
transcribe it or upload the mp3.