[B5JMS] ATTN JMS: The Starlost?

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Thu Jul 28 04:26:15 EDT 2005

From: Jeff Vavasour <jeffv at shaw.ca>
Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2005 14:12:29 +0000 (UTC)

The topic of The Starlost just came up in another list I frequent.  It was a
creation of Harlan Ellison in the 70s, envisioning a five-year story arc about
the last survivors of a dead Earth, fleeing aboard a doomed ark in space.  It
was a great premise, especially given the main characters' backgrounds.  It
exuded such possibilities even through its failed 16-episode execution.
(Incidentally, the execution was flawed to the point that the writing credit
goes to Cordwainer Bird.)  I've read Phoenix Without Ashes, I've read
Ellison's essays about it, and I've read The Starcrossed, all in the vain hope
of finding out more about where it might've gone.  I've often wished to see
The Starlost done right, and to see it through to its end.  A movie would be
too short to do it justice, but a TV series or miniseries might.  Sadly, it
sounds like Harlan Ellison has washed his hands of it, perhaps because he'd
never trust the story could ever be told properly.  Yet, I suspect he'd trust
JMS.

So, to JMS, ever spoken about The Starlost?  Ever thought about a
collaboration of that sort?  I know it would also take a cable or network
channel's interest to make it a reality, but if there were interest, might
both you and Harlan be persuaded to get together on such a thing?

- Jeff