[B5JMS] ATTN: JMS: The Siegels' Suit over Superman

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Sun Mar 6 06:21:50 EST 2005

From: Jeffrey O. Gustafson <PsicopJeffG at hotmail.com>
Date: Sat, 5 Mar 2005 21:29:57 +0000 (UTC)

The relevant article over at Newsarama...
http://www.newsarama.com/DC/Superman/Intro.htm

(There was also an illuminating article in The Comics Journal a few months
back...)

Anyway, long story short, the heirs of Superman co-creator Jerry Siegel are
suing DC/WB over half the rights to Superman.  One would wonder why now, and
it's rather complicated - over the nigh seventy years Siegel et al have
entered into various agreements with National/Detective Comics/WB in regards
to the rights, and copyright law has changed dramatically, and the first real
opportunity to claim the rights occurred in a five year window that ended in
1999.  The Siegels followed through with their intent to reclaim the rights in
1997, and have only recently filed suit, and it is all rather complicated,
though Newsarama puts it all out elegantly.  They might actually have a case.

As a creator, a comics writer, and as a Superman fan, what's your take on the
case?

      -The Jeff

Sheridan:"So how did you find out all of this?"
Bester:"I'm a telepath.  Work it out." <*>