[B5JMS] JMS: Legend of the Rangers question

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Sun Apr 22 09:10:48 EDT 2007

From: Ian Finlayson <bf011a3570_2 at blueyonder.co.uk>
Date: Fri, 20 Apr 2007 20:23:01 +0100

I've been a B5 fan for about 10 years or so but only recently got to see
Legend of the Rangers. I'd heard about some of the problems which
surrounded the production and one thing I read that left me curious was
that the style of the weapons room (for lack of better words) was
influenced by financial constraints.

I've looked through some old posts and couldn't see any mention of this
so I was wondering if it's true? And if it is the case I was hoping you
could give me an idea of how the weapons room was intended to look. I've
always thought it was pretty unique for a live action show and it seems
like it wouldn't be out of place in some manga.

Thanks

P.S. Just discovered World War Z after finding out you were writing the
script and wanted to thank you for bringing it to my attention. I must
admit a long term dislike for reading novels but it was probably the
first book I've enjoyed reading in about 10 years and I can't wait to
see how the film turns out.

> I've been a B5 fan for about 10 years or so but only recently got to see
> Legend of the Rangers. I'd heard about some of the problems which
> surrounded the production and one thing I read that left me curious was
> that the style of the weapons room (for lack of better words) was
> influenced by financial constraints.
>
> I've looked through some old posts and couldn't see any mention of this
> so I was wondering if it's true? And if it is the case I was hoping you
> could give me an idea of how the weapons room was intended to look. I've
> always thought it was pretty unique for a live action show and it seems
> like it wouldn't be out of place in some manga.

No, just the opposite.  The traditional way these things are done is
to simply push a button and the ship fires.  To create a zero-g
environment where a person is suspended in the center of a completely
CGI 3D environment was hideously costly and difficult, but I wanted to
try something a bit different.

> Thanks
>
> P.S. Just discovered World War Z after finding out you were writing the
> script and wanted to thank you for bringing it to my attention. I must
> admit a long term dislike for reading novels but it was probably the
> first book I've enjoyed reading in about 10 years and I can't wait to
> see how the film turns out.

It's going to be a corker.