[B5JMS] Newsgroup back!

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Mon Aug 27 04:38:48 EDT 2007

From: Amy Guskin <aisling at fjordstone.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 18:02:55 GMT

(in article <1187283935.043404.102870 at 50g2000hsm.googlegroups.com>):

> On Thu, 16 Aug 2007 08:42:19 -0400, StarFur... at aol.com wrote
>>> That's not the case at all when you're posting from Google
>>> Groups, like I am; Google gives you a confirmation that your post has
>>> been sent to the moderators for review after you hit Send. <<
>
> On Aug 16, 9:09 am, Amy Guskin <aisl... at fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> That may be the _language_ they use, but I don't think it means what you
>> think it means...  I think all that means is that Google successfully got it
>> off of their server.
>
>         Stating exactly _where_ it's been forwarded to. <<

Yeah, but I think you think it's a confirmation of _receipt_ by the modbot.
Unless I grossly misunderstand something you're saying, it isn't.

Amy
--
"In my line of work you gotta keep repeating things over and over and over
again for the truth to sink in, to kinda catapult the propaganda." - George
W. Bush, May 24, 2005

> > On Aug 16, 9:09 am, Amy Guskin <aisl... at fjordstone.com> wrote:
> >> That may be the _language_ they use, but I don't think it means what you
> >> think it means...  I think all that means is that Google successfully got it
> >> off of their server.
>
> >         Stating exactly _where_ it's been forwarded to. <<
>
> Yeah, but I think you think it's a confirmation of _receipt_ by the modbot.
> Unless I grossly misunderstand something you're saying, it isn't.

        Uh huh --well here's the bottom line: modbot or not, the
system is informing me as to exactly where the message has been sent.
In fact, I just posted--for a third time--the same message I posted on
Sunday night, but which as yet, still hasn't shown up, and the same
goes for my second attempt of last night, which again, still hasn't
appeared. So here it goes --this is the auto-confirmation response I
get from Google when I post a new topic, or sometimes in the middle of
a thread, depending:

=================================
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated

New topic submitted to moderators of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
for review. Your post will appear in this group after it is approved
by moderators.

Return to rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
==================================

        Seems pretty specific to me -- how about to you?

>>> Stating exactly _where_ it's been forwarded to. <<
>>
>> Yeah, but I think you think it's a confirmation of _receipt_ by the modbot.
>>
>> Unless I grossly misunderstand something you're saying, it isn't.
>
>         Uh huh --well here's the bottom line: modbot or not, the
> system is informing me as to exactly where the message has been sent.
> In fact, I just posted--for a third time--the same message I posted on
> Sunday night, but which as yet, still hasn't shown up, and the same
> goes for my second attempt of last night, which again, still hasn't
> appeared. So here it goes --this is the auto-confirmation response I
> get from Google when I post a new topic, or sometimes in the middle of
> a thread, depending:
>
> =================================
> rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
>
> New topic submitted to moderators of rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
> for review. Your post will appear in this group after it is approved
> by moderators.
>
> Return to rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
> ==================================
>
>         Seems pretty specific to me -- how about to you? <<

No, it doesn't.  I think you're lacking a fundamental understanding of this.
Google is just telling you that they sent it off to r.a.s.t.b5.mod, not that
they have _confirmation of its actual receipt_ at Jay's server.  Honestly,
the technical stuff is over my head, and Jay probably doesn't have time to
chime in, and you really don't want to waste your time asking me to explain
something that I _can't_; but it's just like any other e-mail you send, in
that the _sender_ may believe it's been sent off just fine, but they can't
tell you whether or not the e-mail has actually been received at the other
end.

And I've been moderating regularly and haven't seen your post.  I'm about to
go in again right now -- if it's there, I'll approve it (probably).  If not,
I'll pop back here and let you know that it's still not been received.

Amy
W. Bush, May 24, 2005

> No, it doesn't.  I think you're lacking a fundamental understanding of this.
> Google is just telling you that they sent it off to r.a.s.t.b5.mod, not that
> they have _confirmation of its actual receipt_ at Jay's server.

        I think you lack a fundamental understanding of what I've been
saying, to wit:
        Where have I ever said that the message was a confirmation of
its receipt at Jay's server?
        All I've said is that there's a confirmation from the system
as to where it's been sent. That in itself, however, is an indication
that the system knows where to send it.

> Honestly, the technical stuff is over my head, and Jay probably doesn't have time > to chime in,

        Jay doesn't want to be bothered arguing with me, and frankly,
I really don't care to be bothered arguing with him either for that
matter. Aside from which, he has other more important matters to
attend to at the moment no doubt.

>  and you really don't want to waste your time asking me to explain
> something that I _can't_; but it's just like any other e-mail you send, in
> that the _sender_ may believe it's been sent off just fine, but they can't
> tell you whether or not the e-mail has actually been received at the other
> end.

        Yes, and that's a fundamental complaint that I have with this
particular newsgroup quite frankly, because as far back as I can
recall, that has _always_ been the case interestingly enough. One
would think, however, that after all this time, with the clear-cut
undeniable development of the Web and related technologies over the
course of a decade and/or more, that technical issues such as this
would have improved if anything, rather than just staying unreliably
the same.

> And I've been moderating regularly and haven't seen your post.  I'm about to
> go in again right now -- if it's there, I'll approve it (probably).  If not,
> I'll pop back here and let you know that it's still not been received.

        At least this time there would be something of a legitimate
reason behind such a technical problem --namely, the move of equipment
from one place to another and how that might have stood to foul things
up. But as I've said, this has always been the case around here, and
it has been one of the things that have turned me off to this
particular newsgroup in point of fact.

>> No, it doesn't.  I think you're lacking a fundamental understanding of
>> this.
>> Google is just telling you that they sent it off to r.a.s.t.b5.mod, not that
>> they have _confirmation of its actual receipt_ at Jay's server.
>
>         I think you lack a fundamental understanding of what I've been
> saying, to wit:
>         Where have I ever said that the message was a confirmation of
> its receipt at Jay's server?
>         All I've said is that there's a confirmation from the system
> as to where it's been sent. That in itself, however, is an indication
> that the system knows where to send it. <<

Yeah, but you've been insisting all through this thread that you have
confirmations from Google that your message has been "submitted" to this
newsgroup.  And you initially complained that posts tend to get lost around
here, despite the fact that you'd received "a System confirmation that the
message was submitted to the moderators for review right after posting
it."  If you've understood all along what I was saying, and you weren't in
disagreement with it, why did you go on and on, ultimately saying, "Uh huh
--well here's the bottom line: modbot or not, the system is informing me as
to exactly where the message has been sent."  The implication there, to
_anyone_ with a basic level of reading comprehension, is that you were
insisting that your messages had gone through and that we were just somehow
'losing' them.  Reading this post of yours further, it's quite clear that
that _was_ your implication.

>>> Honestly, the technical stuff is over my head, and Jay probably doesn't
>> have time > to chime in,
>
>         Jay doesn't want to be bothered arguing with me, and frankly,
> I really don't care to be bothered arguing with him either for that
> matter. Aside from which, he has other more important matters to
> attend to at the moment no doubt. <<

Why do you say arguing?  If you're having trouble getting posts through,
that's what he's here for: to debug any technical problems you're having.  We
just went through this with another poster -- just last week -- who was
privately very grateful for the lengths we went to to get this worked out,
and to explain to him exactly what he needed to get changed on his end.  No
arguments; just the fine level of customer service posters to this newsgroup
have always been able to expect.  Maybe if you didn't have negative
expectations and just _asked_ for some assistance, your approval-requiring
posts would be getting through by now.

>>> and you really don't want to waste your time asking me to explain
>> something that I _can't_; but it's just like any other e-mail you send, in
>> that the _sender_ may believe it's been sent off just fine, but they can't
>> tell you whether or not the e-mail has actually been received at the other
>> end.
>
>         Yes, and that's a fundamental complaint that I have with this
> particular newsgroup quite frankly, because as far back as I can
> recall, that has _always_ been the case interestingly enough. One
> would think, however, that after all this time, with the clear-cut
> undeniable development of the Web and related technologies over the
> course of a decade and/or more, that technical issues such as this
> would have improved if anything, rather than just staying unreliably
> the same. <<

Believe me, we hear from people when their posts aren't getting through.  And
it is a rarity.  If you won't ask for help -- in the usual way, writing to
the moderators address and explaining exactly what's going on, and how you're
posting -- how can anyone help you?

>>> And I've been moderating regularly and haven't seen your post.  I'm about
>> go in again right now -- if it's there, I'll approve it (probably).  If not,
>> I'll pop back here and let you know that it's still not been received.
>
>         At least this time there would be something of a legitimate
> reason behind such a technical problem --namely, the move of equipment
> from one place to another and how that might have stood to foul things
> up. But as I've said, this has always been the case around here, and
> it has been one of the things that have turned me off to this
> particular newsgroup in point of fact. <<

Well, as I said, if you don't ask for help, no one can help you.  I suggest
you write to the moderators address and provide the necessary details, and
I'm sure one of the more technically-inclined moderators will do their best
to straighten out whatever's going on.

Incidentally, it seems that a high percentage of people with trouble posting
are posting via Google Groups, not that you'd think of blaming _them_ for the
problem.

Amy
W. Bush, May 24, 2005

> Yeah, but you've been insisting all through this thread that you have
> confirmations from Google that your message has been "submitted" to this
> newsgroup.

        You know, let me just add this further little observation: it
is interesting that my last two replies in this thread have shown up,
but not my lengthier initial reply to you in response to this above
message of ours.

Gee, I wonder where it went.

StarFuryG7 caught my attention on Thu, 16 Aug 2007 20:34:28 -0700 by
saying:

> On Aug 16, 8:09 pm, Amy Guskin <aisl... at fjordstone.com> wrote:
>> Yeah, but you've been insisting all through this thread that you have
>> confirmations from Google that your message has been "submitted" to this
>> newsgroup.
>
>         You know, let me just add this further little observation: it
> is interesting that my last two replies in this thread have shown up,
> but not my lengthier initial reply to you in response to this above
> message of ours.
>
> Gee, I wonder where it went.

That's what a moderated group *is*, man. If your post isn't suitable, it
goes to the round file. Deal with it, and move on.

--
Faith does not, in fact, move mountains; it can't even cure diarrhea, or
clear up acne. It certainly won't protect anyone from his own stupidity.