[B5JMS] ATTN: JMS - International Writers

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Tue Feb 12 04:42:27 EST 2008

From: Neeklus <StrayRogue at gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 30 Jan 2008 06:35:55 -0800 (PST)

Hi there,

I won't bore you with the details of how I've just graduated from X or
how I've been watching films and TV for Y years. Instead I'll get
right to the meat of the problem/quandary: I want to a script writer.
Well I am a script writer. I've written some scripts. But what I want
to do with them now is sell them.

Now the Complete Book of Scriptwriting is an excellent bible for the
naive youngsters like myself. However it doesn't answer all the
niggling little questions that keep floating around my mind. First and
foremost I live in the UK. Bearing in mind that Hollywood is the place
to be if you want to be in the business, is there anyway an unknown
international wannabe can actually make a sale without having to jet
over to the US at the drop of a hat?

I guess my main concern is that I have this script that I'm pretty
proud of. It is for a niche show, something I think I'm in tune with.
But when I send the producer my nice polite letter inquiring if they'd
be interested in this wonderful script, will he or she look at my
address and instantly think "way too much hassle"?

This brings me on to my next question - We live in the age of
technology and super-fast internet connections (or at least some of us
do). Is email hoping to replace snail mail?

Another pertinent issue is the WGA strike. I want to make it clear I
don't want to step on any toes or in any graves. I don't want to be a
"scab" - I completely sympathise with the raw deal that writers get,
and I do believe the WGA are fighting for a noble cause. Should I
mention any of this in my letter?

I shall close by hoping someone, anyone can help me.

Good luck, and thanks for reading.

Nick Thorburn

> I won't bore you with the details of how I've just graduated from X or
> how I've been watching films and TV for Y years. Instead I'll get
> right to the meat of the problem/quandary: I want to a script writer.
> Well I am a script writer. I've written some scripts. But what I want
> to do with them now is sell them.
>
> Now the Complete Book of Scriptwriting is an excellent bible for the
> naive youngsters like myself. However it doesn't answer all the
> niggling little questions that keep floating around my mind. First and
> foremost I live in the UK. Bearing in mind that Hollywood is the place
> to be if you want to be in the business, is there anyway an unknown
> international wannabe can actually make a sale without having to jet
> over to the US at the drop of a hat?
>
> I guess my main concern is that I have this script that I'm pretty
> proud of. It is for a niche show, something I think I'm in tune with.
> But when I send the producer my nice polite letter inquiring if they'd
> be interested in this wonderful script, will he or she look at my
> address and instantly think "way too much hassle"?
>
> This brings me on to my next question - We live in the age of
> technology and super-fast internet connections (or at least some of us
> do). Is email hoping to replace snail mail?
>
> Another pertinent issue is the WGA strike. I want to make it clear I
> don't want to step on any toes or in any graves. I don't want to be a
> "scab" - I completely sympathise with the raw deal that writers get,
> and I do believe the WGA are fighting for a noble cause. Should I
> mention any of this in my letter?
>
> I shall close by hoping someone, anyone can help me.
>
> Good luck, and thanks for reading.
>
> Nick Thorburn

The answer is...if by "show" you mean trying to sell a TV show, it
doesn't matter where you live because you can't sell a show unless
you've worked in the TV industry for x-number of years.  Just not
gonna happen.  Networks only buy from people they know and have a
working relationship with.

jms

(PS, for those who played the "what's that?" google earth game last
time, here's a new one to check out:

30 30 38 24s S
115 22 51 37 E

This one should generate some discussion.)