[B5JMS] What would JMS do if he confronted the gang again?

b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu b5jms at mail.fsl.cs.sunysb.edu
Fri Apr 10 04:29:34 EDT 2009

From: Professor <David.Butler.NACC at gmail.com>
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 05:21:40 -0700 (PDT)

At the end of Midnight Nation and scattered throughout B5, JMS
recounts the beating he took on the street in San Diego in 1978 one
night by a gang that nearly cost him his life. He has said, since this
incident, that he is no longer afraid of death. Given that this event
was a changing point in his life, if he were to meet this gang today
on the street during daylight, what would he do and what would he say?
I have tried to deduce his response from his writings, but I cannot
come up with a single response. Would he, for instance, "damn sure
finish the fight that he did not start?" Would he just ponder,
reflectively, and walk on and weave this second into his current
narratives? Could he somehow acknowledge these thugs and let them know
their place in the universe and what they helped set in motion? Maybe
he would call the police and press charges and let the gang pay for
its crimes?

David

> At the end of Midnight Nation and scattered throughout B5, JMS
> recounts the beating he took on the street in San Diego in 1978 one
> night by a gang that nearly cost him his life. He has said, since this
> incident, that he is no longer afraid of death. Given that this event
> was a changing point in his life, if he were to meet this gang today
> on the street during daylight, what would he do and what would he say?
> I have tried to deduce his response from his writings, but I cannot
> come up with a single response. Would he, for instance, "damn sure
> finish the fight that he did not start?" Would he just ponder,
> reflectively, and walk on and weave this second into his current
> narratives? Could he somehow acknowledge these thugs and let them know
> their place in the universe and what they helped set in motion? Maybe
> he would call the police and press charges and let the gang pay for
> its crimes?
>
> David

What I would do would vary greatly depending on whether or not there
were witnesses around.