[B5JMS] JMS Interview at fanboyplanet.

b5jms at cs.columbia.edu b5jms at cs.columbia.edu
Fri Oct 22 03:22:46 EDT 2004

From: tphile <tphile at cableone.net>
Date: Wed, 20 Oct 2004 22:45:38 -0500

Mathew Krull wrote:

> tphile wrote:
>
>> Jan,
>>
>> I took a look at JMSNews.com and noted that you and Ranger1 are the
>> JMS forum moderators there.  Not just a fan or member, but moderators.
>> Which says a lot about your posts here,  and if there might be any bias,
>> or slanted perspective and how objective or credible your comments are.
>>
>> and I don't think much of a site were the front page archive ONLY
>> the JMS usenet posts.  and not any replies or rebuttles from others.
>> It gives only one side of a discussion which is neither free speech or
>> a fair debate.
>> Its no wonder that his messages read rather odd,  he is talking to a
>> different audience than this one.
>>

> The whole point of the website is archiving JMS' posts.  Not his
> discussions or debates, his posts.  Says so right at the top of the page.

Yes, it certainly does say so.
and thats fine if its an archive of his stories, or columns or such.
but an archive of a discussion or debate should be comprehensive and
include all sides or its not worth much.
Like the Presidential debates that only broadcasts one of the debaters
but pushes the mute botton on the opponent
or imagine you are on trial where the prosecutor makes his case but your
defense cannot.
The results are pretty predictable.
If a newcomer wants to know what all the uproar  about sins past is
about.  Do you think you will get the full story from just reading the
JMS posts?  or from going to the racmu forum where all the messages are at?

tphile

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)
Date: 21 Oct 2004 07:56:19 GMT

>Yes, it certainly does say so.
>and thats fine if its an archive of his stories, or columns or such.
>but an archive of a discussion or debate should be comprehensive and
>include all sides or its not worth much.
>Like the Presidential debates that only broadcasts one of the debaters
>but pushes the mute botton on the opponent
>or imagine you are on trial where the prosecutor makes his case but your
>defense cannot.
>The results are pretty predictable.
>If a newcomer wants to know what all the uproar  about sins past is
>about.  Do you think you will get the full story from just reading the
>JMS posts?  or from going to the racmu forum where all the messages are at?

1) Anybody who wants the full story of any discussion can go to google and get
it, it's not like they disappear into the ether.

2) For something like the archive, you would need to get the permission of
*every other person who posts* to incorporate their material, since all public
messages are the copyrighted property of the person who posted them (not many
know this part of internet law) and may not be used without permission in any
other forum or venue.

Which is why my sig reads the way it does.

The jmsnews people are following the law, nothing more or less.