JMS On CompuServe (Dec 01-02, 1995)

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Sat Dec 2 21:04:11 EST 1995

From: brent.barrett at 24stex.com (Brent Barrett)

#: 407842 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  12:21:46
Sb: #407736-#<Gethsemane>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Tom Knudsen 72347,1626 (X)

     The third Serling story isn't so much strange, as were the other two, but
interesting, in that after that one first encounter with him, when I was
working on the new Twilight Zone series, they found an outline by Serling that
he had never put into script form...and they asked me to do the script based on
that outline, so here, twent-some years later, I ended up sharing a writing
credit with Serling on "Our Selena is Dying."  A collaboration, much after the
fact.

                                                                       jms

#: 407843 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  12:21:47
Sb: #407771-#<PTG>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Philip Hornsey 74053,2101 (X)

     When you ask a Vorlon a question, you get what you get.

    30-Nov-95  12:41:14
Sb: #407695-#Minbari line in 1st 3 ep
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Chad Underkoffler 102512,1310 (X)

     Just putting the gun on the table where everyone can see it before I pick
it up and pull the trigger...as I have done, more subtly, in a whole bunch of
other places, right through to the first season.

    30-Nov-95  12:41:16
Sb: #407784-#Minbari line in 1st 3 ep
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Jeff Frank 70402,3015 (X)

      Actually, it was in one of the first four episodes, not necessarily the
first three.

    30-Nov-95  14:38:25
Sb: #book question
Fm: Richard L. Long 76562,2757
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Mr. Straczyns
I have been a fan of Babylon 5 for the last 3 years and really enjoy watching
the show. I have heard of the 5 year arc of the show and was wondering if you
have written or plan to write a book on the 5 year arc of Babylon 5 if you have
or plan to in the future I would sure be one to buy it. look forward to the
ride were in for this season. IT IS A GREAT SHOW.

                                                                    Richard
Long

#: 408013 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Nov-95  17:29:08
Sb: #407923-book question
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Richard L. Long 76562,2757 (X)

     It's something I'll consider when we're finished with it all; right now
it's too much to even think about.

     And thanks....

                                                                        jms

#: 408027 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  17:53:17
Sb: #407445-#<Gethsemane>
Fm: Lolita  . Maddalena 102701,3447
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

I don't know whether to thank you for the beautiful story or SLUG YOU for
making me cry for 10 minutes.  My sinus' were clogged all night.

When the brother died I blew my nose and thought it was over, but then you
bring the "new" brother to Sheridan and there I go again.  Really, it was an
almost cruel use of beauty.  Of course until the gill scene.  Eck.

Well done.  Now I have to go buy more Kleenix.

#: 408175 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  22:27:49
Sb: #408027-<Gethsemane>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Lolita  . Maddalena 102701,3447 (X)

      "...a cruel use of beauty."  What a great way to phrase it.  Never heard
that before.  Thanks.

    30-Nov-95  19:59:38
Sb: #Kosh Me This
Fm: Daniel Mercure 72470,3713
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

[Reply to message #400528, which is no longer available]

>> It's Screen Actors Guild rules; you can't have a character like this, who
isn't actually an actor, in the opening credits.

I very well may be remembering this wrong, but didn't the character "Boxie" get
an opening credit on BATTLESTAR GALACTICIA?  And what about that awful robot,
"Twixie" or "Tweety" or "Twaxxy" in the 80's series BUCK ROGERS?

                                  Daniel Mercure <tag pending> T6
                                    Alias:  CIS:DanielM
                                    INTERNET:DanielM at CIS.CompuServe.com

#: 408176 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-Nov-95  22:27:49
Sb: #408104-Kosh Me This
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Daniel Mercure 72470,3713 (X)

      Twikki had a better agent than Kosh.

                                                                       jms

#: 408142 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  21:45:09
Sb: #407561-#<PTG>
Fm: Michael Grabois 74737,2600
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

>>Basically, it would've been a one-shot, with two monks arriving to scope out
B5 for the arrival of the rest later on.<<

So who would have taken the role of Lyta as the one who gets the info from
Malcolm? As a good little Psi-corps, Talia wouldn't have done what she did. And
have we heard of TP's from other races besides humans before this episode?
        mg

#: 408177 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-Nov-95  22:27:52
Sb: #408142-<PTG>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Michael Grabois 74737,2600 (X)

     They would've gotten the info in a different way, without resorting to a
telepath.

    01-Dec-95  07:01:40
Sb: #407444-#<Gethsemene>
Fm: Joe Salemi [ZD Net] 72631,23
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

  >>       I don't think there can *be* any praise higher than to be included
  >> in the same sentence as Serling.

The praise is well-deserved.  I also had the juxposition of PtG at 8pm and the
Rod Serling biography on PBS at 9pm, and it seemed quite appropriate
considering PTG is your "Twilight-Zonish" episode.

My first comment to Nancy after watching PtG was, "Man, can he *write*!"  It
may not have been an arc story, but the level of character interaction, the
characters themselves, and the whole theme of the story has made PtG my
favorite episode of the first 4 in Season 3, and definitely one of the top 5 of
the whole series.

Great work, Joe!

#: 408463 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  13:01:12
Sb: #408316-<Gethsemene>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Joe Salemi [ZD Net] 72631,23 (X)

      Thanks; eventually I'll get this writing thing figured out....

    01-Dec-95  08:18:26
Sb: #B5 in Hong Kong!!
Fm: John Yuen 72466,1621
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe:

  Just a quick note that B5 season 1 is now being shown in Hong Kong (B4
tonight) and you already have Fans there, Just got a call from a friend and He
wants me to bring ALL my tapes over when I go back later this month, they want
to catch up now!

Regards
John Yuen

#: 408464 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  13:01:13
Sb: #408345-B5 in Hong Kong!!
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: John Yuen 72466,1621

      That's great.  My best wishes to all the new viewers down there.

                                                                       jms

#: 408420 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-Dec-95  11:19:36
Sb: #<PTG: Mind Wipe>
Fm: Colin Glassey 72370,743
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe,
Very good episode, there were lots of things to like about it (acting, Leta,
moral issues). but... I think you have presented "mind wipes" too positively.
It seems to be a "great" solution to social problems.  Don't like someone's
attitude?  The temptation has got to be to mind wipe them and replace their
personality with something that is more tractable, of "greater use to society".
Based on the power and ability of mind wipe to create a really useful person
afterwords, there would seem to be no downside (for a government) to its use
against ANY malifactor.  My suggestion is to indicate or play up the downsides
to mind wipe (large amounts of time spent in retraining, or mental instability,
or some chance it kills the person who is mind wiped or some other real
downside to the procedure).

I'm not even going to speculate on what a corrupt organization would/could do
with the unalloyed power you have suggested in this episode.

Good luck with the rest of the season.  -- Colin Glassey

#: 408465 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-Dec-95  13:01:15
Sb: #408420-#<PTG: Mind Wipe>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Colin Glassey 72370,743

      I'm not sure I presented it positively; I just presented it, didn't make
a moral judgement about it.  Some of those in the show did, but then we had
Edward saying it *isn't* moral, that it's a monstrous thing to do.  Like any
form of punishment it can seem fair to those not facing it.

    01-Dec-95  12:01:00
Sb: #Rod Serling Story III
Fm: Shelley Marshall 70751,2114
To: J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644 (X)

Would you please tell us about the third of your encounters with Rod Serling
(you've written about the high school career day and the watch)?

Shelley

#: 408466 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  13:01:18
Sb: #408428-#Rod Serling Story III
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Shelley Marshall 70751,2114 (X)

      Actually, I just posted it the other day...rather than posting it again,
if someone here could point out the message ID number, that would be better.
Nothing's more essentially boring than telling the same story twice at a
party....

    01-Dec-95  18:31:45
Sb: #From jms: info
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: All

      I need a little help here from US netters, 'cause something strikes me as
a bit wonky.  I've been getting the market-by-market ratings reports, and just
today I sat down to really study them, and something doesn't track. The market
report doesn't seem to reflect where I *think* the shows are currently being
aired.  So to the favor...if you're in one of these areas, let me know if the
time given here is DIFFERENT FROM the time it actually plays in your area.
(This seems especially curious to me since the report shows WTTY Indianapolis
up through the past week, and it was my understanding that they had temporarily
dropped the show until WNDY picked it up.)

New York Fri 8P; Chicago TH 7P; Philadelphia Sat 8P; San Francisco Wed 8P;
Boston Sat 8P; Wash DC Thr 8P; Dallas Wed 8P; Detroit Tue 8P; Atlanta Sun 8P;
Houston Wed 7P; Cleveland Sat 8P; Seattle Wed 8P; Tampa Wed 8P; Minneapolis Wed
7P; Miami Fri 8P; St Louis Wed 12M; Sacramento Sun 8P; Phoenix Wed 7P; Denver
Sat 5P; Pittsburgh Sat 8P; Baltimore Wed 9P; Hartford Sat 5P; Orlando Tue 10P;
San Diego Sat 4P; Indianapolis Sun 9P; Portland Wed 8P; Milwaukee Sun 11P;
Kansas City Wed 8P; Charlotte Sun 11P; Cincinnati Sat 2P; San Antonio Wed 7P;
W. Palm Beach Thr 8P.

     Thanks for any help on this.

                                                                       jms

[NOTE: There have been dozens of replies for just about every area JMS
 listed -- BKB]

#: 408561 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  15:45:32
Sb: #Kosh-ersize
Fm: Bob Alberti 70764,410
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

  If Kosh was tired because so many people saw him in the garden,
  then Kosh needs to exert himself when he is seen?
  If that's the case, what does he look like when he doesn't exert
  himself?
  If he looks the way I do when I fail to exert myself, the show
  could get pretty ugly!
  As always, Kudos on a show which is destined to be a classic.  The Prisoner,
the Twilight Zone, Blake's 7, Babylon 5...

#: 408658 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  18:38:12
Sb: #408561-Kosh-ersize
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Bob Alberti 70764,410

     He probably looks a lot like me....

    01-Dec-95  15:53:46
Sb: #Video Toaster
Fm: Roger St. Cyr 73774,3303
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

What is a 'Video Toaster'? I've run across the term in The Zocalo newsletter.
What does the 'Toaster' do? What does it do better than its predecessor, was
there one?
Thank you.

ps I came across B5 late. I started watching in the second season. I'm very
impressed with the quality (editorial and visual) of the program. Good work.

#: 408659 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  18:38:13
Sb: #408564-#Video Toaster
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Roger St. Cyr 73774,3303

      Hey, I barely understand this stuff myself....

      Besides, I hear they've exported all the software over to DOS platforms
anyway, which don't use toasters.

                                                                       jms

#: 408588 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-Dec-95  16:39:07
Sb: #407024-#Were are the Shadows
Fm: WADE R. AIKEN 102012,1764
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

One thing you've got me curious about, we saw that the Shadows have agents back
on Earth attempting to destroy humankind from within, so where does Bester fit
into all this? Which side is he on? Does he know about the Shadows or is he
being duped? This is supposed to be a five year story so i'm inclined to
believe that each and every character introduced has a reason for being there.
So far I haven't figured out Talia Winter's. She hasn't done much of anything
to move the story along so i'm guessing we'll see her again. One other thing
about her doesn't make sense to me, when her ex-lover / ex-mentor gave her that
"gift" wouldn't he ( with his heightened telepathic abilities ) have noticed
the other personality that the Psi-corps placed within her?
                                                                        Count
Iblis

#: 408661 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-Dec-95  18:38:15
Sb: #408588-Were are the Shadows
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: WADE R. AIKEN 102012,1764

      This question will be dealt with in "Ship of Tears," around mid-season.

    01-Dec-95  19:35:28
Sb: #B-5 Action Figures
Fm: Les P. George 76162,1250
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Greetings jms,

        I have heard that B-5 action figures will be coming out soon.  Any word
on when and what characters will be featured?  Glad to see the B-5 merchandise
coming out.  The card set was great.  Keep up the great work.

Les

#: 408723 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  20:38:27
Sb: #408680-B-5 Action Figures
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Les P. George 76162,1250

      No, there are currently no plans for B5 action figures.

    01-Dec-95  20:38:27
Sb: #408672-From jms: info
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Tim Sullivan 76210,1066

     Les said in another message it plays in Atlanta on Saturday at 11, not 8.
Which is correct?

    01-Dec-95  19:43:27
Sb: #408653-#From jms: info
Fm: Les P. George 76162,1250
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

jms,

In Atlanta, the show airs at 11:00 p.m. on Saturday night.  It changed to this
time slot several months ago from its previous Sunday, 8:00 p.m. slot. Hope
this is of some help.

Les

#: 408725 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  20:38:28
Sb: #408685-From jms: info
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Les P. George 76162,1250

     Tim in another message said Saturday at 8 for Atlanta; which is the
current time?

    01-Dec-95  20:23:46
Sb: #408653-#From jms: info
Fm: paul wood 102710,3071
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Joe, Indianapolis is shown at 11:00 pm Sundays on WNDY. Sunday at 9:00pm was
the old time on WTTV. I hope this help's I'm just glad that we had a station
smart enough to listen to the fans and  pick up B5. Keep up the GREAT work!!
           Paul
         Anderson, IN.

#: 408726 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Dec-95  20:38:30
Sb: #408719-#From jms: info
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: paul wood 102710,3071

      Okay, follow-up...was there a period in the new episodes period (October
9 - Present) when WTTY *wasn't* showing the episodes, and it wasn't being shown
at all in Indianapolis?  I'd thought there was a gap there.

    01-Dec-95  20:54:04
Sb: #407447-#Submitted for....
Fm: Brian A. Thomas 75231,1122
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

 >>  Wow, that's three...I'm about ready to fall down.  High praise indeed. <<

 Well, make it four.  I was thinking about you while watching the show myself.

 You were involved with the second TZ weren't you?

 See ya,

I am me.

#: 408831 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Dec-95  01:00:03
Sb: #408743-Submitted for....
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Brian A. Thomas 75231,1122

      Yes, I was involved with Twilight Zone v2.5, the 30 additional episodes
produced for syndication, as story editor and primary writer, doing 11 of the
total 30 episodes, plus 1 for the prior network run on CBS.  It was, all things
considered, a great experience.

    01-Dec-95  21:14:24
Sb: #408653-#From jms: info
Fm: P. Walker 103013,2473
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

    In Minneapolis/St. Paul B5 airs at 8pm on Thursday nights (right after DS9
- talk about a great time slot).  The time you have was last season's time and
day.
    While I have your attention just would like to add that I do enjoy B5 very
much.  Thanks for the terrific program.

                                                Trish

  -P. Walker

#: 408832 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Dec-95  01:00:06
Sb: #408756-From jms: info
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: P. Walker 103013,2473

     Thanks...especially for the info.

                                                                       jms

#: 408776 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    01-Dec-95  22:24:48
Sb: #<<Gethsemane>>
Fm: Toni Muller 75223,1575
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

Wow, killer episode!

I like how you made us think about the whole mind-wipe issue.  Sounds like a
great solution to crime at first, but then...

The pacing was good and escalated perfectly right up to the end.  You shocked
me with "Brother Malcolm" and I was saying "Whoa," thinking what an ominous
ending this was, and then you do the Kosh/Lyta scene.  I just couldn't believe
it.  Intense!

This was the best acting so far by Pat Tallman.  It seems like she is getting
more comfortable with her character.

Keep up the good work.  I just can't see how you keep outdoing yourself, but
you do.

Toni

#: 408833 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Dec-95  01:00:07
Sb: #408776-<<Gethsemane>>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Toni Muller 75223,1575

      Thanks.  It's definitely the strongest of the first four, I think. And
Pat is nothing less than terrific.  If there was any sense of hesitation in her
appearance in "Divided Loyalties," it can be attributed to the fact that she
had just given birth to her son something like 4-6 weeks prior, if that much,
and this was pretty much her first day back in the saddle.

    01-Dec-95  22:33:38
Sb: #the year of the war
Fm: Bob Danielson 72614,737
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

JMS:

I know I'm setting myself up for [Kosh mode ON] here, but what can I
say, I'm a sucker.

Ivanova says "the year of the Shadow war" in the season 3 intro.  She
is by now well known to us all for precision in phrasing.  Does she mean
"year" [singular] here to describe the duration of the war ?

Apologies if you've answered (or un-answered) this before, I've not had
much time to go online since the new season began.

Bob

PS those of you out there who don't have the arc outline in your safes,
please let me know what you think of this as well......

#: 408834 S5/Babylon 5: General
    02-Dec-95  01:00:10
Sb: #408778-the year of the war
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Bob Danielson 72614,737 (X)

      I think it's a bit broader than that.

                                                                       jms

#: 408828 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Dec-95  00:33:34
Sb: #408465-#<PTG: Mind Wipe>
Fm: Jon Wolf 76103,2541
To: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644 (X)

  If only two weeks have passed since Edward's death, and Brother Malcolm is
being sent to Earth for training, where was the mindwipe performed?

Jon

#: 408835 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Dec-95  01:00:11
Sb: #408828-#<PTG: Mind Wipe>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Jon Wolf 76103,2541 (X)

      We established in "The Quality of Mercy" that the equipment to handle
mindwipes is there on-station, locked away until mandated by a court.  A court
assigned telepath is usually brought in to do a preliminary scan before it
happens and to verify the wipe immediately afterward.  In that same episode,
Talia was used only because a court teep wasn't available.

                                                                       jms

#: 408839 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    02-Dec-95  01:07:36
Sb: #408812-#<Rage's Thots: PtG>
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Burhaan  Ahmad 75754,3065 (X)

     "It's pretty obvious, really."

     Heh, heh....

     "Look, over there, an elephant...."

    02-Dec-95  02:15:14
Sb: #408848-#B5 Screen Saver Arrived!
Fm: J. Michael Straczynski 71016,1644
To: Burhaan  Ahmad 75754,3065

     They're BAF files to include the wav files that accompany each and every
image.  There's also a large number of bmp files for wallpaper, though.

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *