JMS on AOL 12/3/95 - 12/10/95 [SPOILERS]

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Sun Dec 10 13:08:41 EST 1995

Forwarded message to B5JMS list.
Originally From: Lisa Freeman <lefreeman at sunbelt.net>

JMS's AOL postings for 12/3/95 (p.m.) through 12/10/95 (a.m.)

The following contains spoilers for the 3rd season, including
Matters of Honor, Passing Through Gethsemane, and Convictions.

[Also "Coming of Shadows" (major spoiler)!  -- mod.]

Proceed at your own risk!

/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/
/

Subj:  ATTN JMS: Feeelthy Pirates
Date:  95-12-06 17:53:02 EST
From:  Seafox01

Upon attending my local Sci-Fi/comics convention, I happened upon someone who
was selling obviously counterfeit merchandise. He had Medical and Security
Patches, Links(!), Plastic/plaster-like B5 logos/badges, Earthforce badges of
the same material, and laminated badges for Medlab, Psi Corps, and Station
boarding passes.

I have the person's card, as well as shipping info from their packing boxes.
Would this info be of use to you?

Subj:  Re:ATTN JMS: Feeelthy Pirate
Date:  95-12-07 05:31:04 EST
From:  Jms at B5

      All info on feelthy pirates gladly accepted so that we may go and whomp
them.

     Thanks.

Subj:  Epic Parallels
Date:  95-12-04 19:47:55 EST
From:  MAKagle

I noticed something when I last saw CoS (or whatever the one where the
Narn/Centauri War started).  The episode has a great deal of similarity in
structure to La Morte D'artur.

In Mallory's work, Arthur and Morden's (oops Mordred's) armies are poised for
battle but make one last attempt to talk it out.  However, a soldier raises
his sword to kill a snake and everyone attacks.  Now compare this to...
SPOILERS

<spoiler space snipped>

In the CoS episode we see G'Kar planning to kill the emperor (starting a war)
but he has a heart attack and for one moment G'Kar considers peace, but the
Centauri start the war instead.

When I studied this part in Mallory, my teacher said "If you have two armies
poised for war, can you really just stop them with a peace talk?  Wasn't the
war inevitable?"

I think this applies to the Narn and Centauri.   Anyone else notice
this?

Subj:  Re:Epic Parallels
Date:  95-12-07 05:25:59 EST
From:  Jms at B5

      There's another applicable metaphor for the sword story; you'll see it
a little later this season.  Very good catch, btw.

Subj:  The "Core"
Date:  95-12-04 23:52:47 EST
From:  Filops

    Now, here's something I found interesting.
    In the *excellent* "Passing Through Gethsemane" episode, did anyone else
notice the dialogue between Delenn, Lennier, and Dourif's character (Brother
Edward, right?), about their faiths?
    Delenn says something like, "Tell me about the defining moment of your
faith.  Not the history, not the doctrines, but the emotional core of your
faith."  Then Bro. Edward launches into his somewhat off-base version of
Gethsemane.
    And then, when Bro. Edward mentions Valen, what does Lennier say?  Does
Lennier discuss the "defining moment," the "emotional core" of his faith?
Not at all.  Lennier says, "He was the greatest Minbari.  He came from
nowhere 1000 years ago and formed the Great Council, making peace.  Some say
that he wasn't born a Minbari, but..." -- and around then Delenn cuts him
off.
    So: what is Brother Edward politely *forbidden* to discuss?  Doctrines,
and history.  And what *does* Lennier bring out, at the mere mention of the
name of Valen?  Doctrines ("the greatest Minbari"), and history.
    I find this interesting, because it touches on something I have observed
in a great many posts, in some of JMS' thoughts, and in a recent post by
PigDog.  It is the failure to understand that the essence of Christianity in
particular is not emotions, biases, experiences, and whimsical notions.
Rather, the *essence* of Christianity is a Person: the Triune God, who can be
known in Jesus Christ, who is God the Son.  And the unchanging *core* of
Christianity is a complex of statements of truth (doctrines), and
unchangeable, epoch-making events ("history").  Christianity is events like
the Creation, the rebellion of man, God taking on humanity through the virgin
conception and birth of Jesus (merry Christmas, by the way), as well as His
life, death, burial, resurrection, and ascension.
    So, people sometimes like parts of our faith (love your neighbor, and
don't kill -- except unborn babies, in both cases), and they don't like other
parts (Jesus Christ is the only mediator between God and man; certain
practices are wrong; God judges sin, etc.).  When they don't like those
parts, they often tell us we're "intolerant," or other contentless
buzz-words.  The underlying assumption is that our faith is like a suit of
clothes; we can put it on, or take it off, as the mood strikes us.  If part
of it is unpopular or untrendy, well, we should take it off.  If we don't
take it off on request, then that must be because we're bad, stupid,
fanatical people.
    No, we're just Christians.  And Christianity is based on unchanging
epochal events (history), and verbal statements of their significance
(doctrines).  If we could change it at will, we would not be serving God --
we would be trying to *be* gods.
    Now, why is that OK for Lennier in his enthusiasm for someone who never
existed, but it isn't OK for Christians, who serve someone who did exist, and
who does exist?

Dan

Subj:  Re:The "Core"