JMS on Compuserve: November 2, 1995 -- FON SPOILERS!

The Green Meddler kilgalen at tde.com
Thu Nov 2 04:27:50 EST 1995

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

THIS POSTING CONTAINS ENTIRELY SPOILER INFORMATION ABOUT THE
FOUR EPISODES AT THE END OF SECOND SEASON CURRENTLY BEING
SHOWN IN THE UK BUT **NOT** IN THE U.S.!!!!!! READ AT YOUR
OWN RISK! NON-SPOILER JMS POSTINGS ARE IN THE PREVIOUS JMS
ON COMPUSERVE POSTING; ONLY SPOILERS ARE IN THIS POSTING!!!

WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING WARNING

END SPOILER SPACE! READ FURTHER AT YOUR OWN RISK!
Subj:  Jack the Ripper			Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Wayne D. Zimmerman	Tuesday, October 31, 1995 10:57:19 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#389227

     So, in other words, if a historical, real character has been used in
some other venue, if the use of that same character in another,
wholly different world/series/show/universe is absolutely, totally and
completely the right thing for that story,
one should instead do what's *wrong* for the story and leave it out?

     Sorry.  Don't buy it.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  <Comes the Inquisitor>		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Ray Pelzer,		Tuesday, October 31, 1995 11:22:01 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#389253

<Y'know, your "mirror" comment just made me consider something:  As much as
Sebastian helped Delenn to realize "who she was", in that speech, she
really made Sebastian realize who HE was as well.
Was this both-sides-of-the-coin intentional, or just happy happenstance?>

     No, it was very much intentional; Sebastian learns quite a bit in the
course of that encounter about himself...especially when she rubs it in his
face as she does.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  B5 Fans Strike Again!		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Fred Miller, 		Tuesday, October 31, 1995 11:22:05 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#389254

     Unfortunately, no suggestions except to note that the more people in
an area who keep after their stations, the more things gradually change.

                                                                       jms

Subj:  <spoiler: Comes the Inq>		Section: Babylon 5
  To:  Catherine Becic,	Tuesday, October 31, 1995 11:22:06 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#389255

     Sacrificing oneself happens frequently...but for just one other
person, AND in a situation where no one else would ever know about it.
Bear in mind that he wasn't testing people randomly; only those who felt
that they were chosen of god, fulfillers of prophecy...people who assumed
that they were part of some grand scheme,
and thus to whom an anonymous death is an intolerable thought.

     Also, most probably never *got* that far, unable to stand the real
pain of being placed in this position.
Everybody can talk the talk; very few can walk the walk.
Most probably just yanked off the bracelets and split, on the theory that
they weren't being sufficiently coddled or glorified...or because being a
potential prophet isn't as much fun as they'd thought.

  To:  Daena Hinkelman	Wednesday, November 01, 1995 7:23:13 PM
From:  J. Michael Straczynski, 71016,1644#389981

      "It doesn't fit in with the way the Vorlons have been portrayed.  It
bothered me."

      Good.  That was the intended result.

      Part of the reason for the story was to grey up the Vorlons a little;
one shouldn't fall too easily for what other people *say* they are.

      (One might also say much the same of the old testament god who would
have Job so severely tested, btw.)

       One should always be cautious of taking *anyone* at face value on B5.

      "...you could consider them a force for good."

      Ah, but what *is* good?  And whose *version* of good are we
discussing?

                                                                       jms

Subj:  <Fall of Night>			Section: Babylon 5