JMS on CompuServe (Apr 07, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/2

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Sun Apr 7 17:02:28 EDT 1996

    31-Mar-96  22:59:18
Sb: #Universes: ST vs. B5
Fm: ROB EDIN

Tom,

        Thanks for the info.  I just wasn't sure if Earth had built them,  or
if it had been a joint project.  5 stations,  hmmm?  Obviously Earth is pretty
wealthy in the 2200's,  esp. if they can build 5 of those things after a major
war..<G>

rob

 #: 482550 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  14:01:29
Sb: #479425-Universes: ST vs. B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Clarifications: B1-B3 were never finished, but sabotaged very early in
construction, so the cost impact wasn't that high.  Only B4 was completed.
When it vanished, the project was almost abandoned, but then the Minbari and
Centauri agreed to help finance the project, and the EA went ahead with a
scaled-down version, their last shot at it.  Hence, B5.

                                                                       jms

   its "TV Highlights" section, which is a first. ]

 #: 482622 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  16:18:58
Sb: #482242-San Jose Merc and B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

        Great, thanks for the info.

                                                                       jms

   its "in the situation it finds itself today." ]

 #: 482623 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  16:18:59
Sb: #482311-Comic Disappointment
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, it's kind of the Red Queen's Race sort of logic.

    06-Apr-96  10:01:05
Sb: #481612-#stuff
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

I was in BookStar yesterday and noticed that Alan Dean Foster has written "The
Dig" for Lucas Arts.  Would I be wrong in assuming that he is out of the
renumeration range for a B5 novel?

 #: 482624 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  16:19:01
Sb: #482452-stuff
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Probably, yeah.

                                                                       jms

   of the episode, hightlighting what he liked the best.  I decided to
   remove it because it is *very* long and no questions are asked to which
   JMS responds. ]

 #: 482625 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  16:19:04
Sb: #482460-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

        Wow, that's a lengthy examination.  Thank you for all that, and the
effort.  Great encouragement.  I appreciate it.

    06-Apr-96  11:43:43
Sb: #"The" John Smith
Fm: STEPHEN BURROW

In reading the credits recently, I noticed your gaffer goes by "THE" John
Smith.  Is there a good story/explanation for him being a "the", rather than,
say, "A" John Smith......  BTW, I've never figured out what the h*ll a "gaffer"
is (likewise a "grip").

        -Stephen Burrow

 #: 482626 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  16:19:05
Sb: #482495-"The" John Smith
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

        No, he's just funny that way....

    06-Apr-96  13:20:43
Sb: #<Rage'sThots:JS's Dream>
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

Joe:

I've got you now, Great Maker! Bwah-ha-ha!

Let me explain... No, there is too much; let me sum up.

Myself and two friends (Tate and Kane, if'n anyone wishes to know...) got
together to watch "Severed Dreams."  We were all suitably impressed; please see
this week's <Rage's Thots:SD> in [B5:Upcoming].

After a huge long discussion re: Bab5 in general, ItSoZ, DtD, and the triptych
(MfE, PoNR, & SD] in particular, Kane mentioned the fact he had all of Season 2
on tape.  So we watched "Geometry of Shadows,"  "Soul Mates," and the Dream
Sequence from "All Alone in the Night."

Now, here's the rub:  Pieces of the puzzle finally fell into place for me in
regards to that strange little snippet.  I think I have the answer.

SPOILER/SPECULATION SPACE

1
2
3
4
5
6
7
8
9

<*>

9
8
7
6
5
4
3
2
1

Johnny's Dream is a dialogue with Kosh, much like G'kar's in "Dust to Dust."
All words not spoken by Johnny *are* spoken by Kosh.  It's just that Johnny's
brain, not being "quiet" enough to see/hear truly, adds "signal noise" to the
communication, filling in and rounding out the discussion with impressions,
suspicions, and memories, until his mind is indeed "quiet" enough to see Kosh
qua Kosh.

The first thing said to him is "Shhh," an admonition to remain quiet, so as to
maintain communication.

"Do you know who I am?" - Kosh asking if Sheridan knows it's Kosh, but at this
point Johnny's thinking he really doesn't know much about Susan, a very private
person, much like Kosh.

He sees himself, this possible being a question to himself along the lines of
"Am I dreaming?"

"The man in-between is searching for you."  He sees Garibaldi who has ties to
someone/ something Johnny hasn't figured out yet, but Kosh is bluntly telling
him someone specific (my money's on Sinclair) is looking for someone like him.

"You are the Hand."  Kosh telling him his role.  Somehow, this reminds Johnny
of the situation of Ivanova's mother.  Perhaps "You are the hand that killed
her?"  She's dressed in mourning, while Johnny is wearing a Psicop uniform.
But only for that one snip...

Then his mind *is* quiet enough to see Kosh qua Kosh & the "I have always been
here" schtick.

I think I gotcha on the ropes, Joe.

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Dreams are faithful interpreters of our inclinations; but there is art
required to sort and understand them." -- Montaigne, "Of Experience," _Essays_.

 #: 482627 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  16:19:07
Sb: #482530-<Rage'sThots:JS's Dream>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

               Not bad....

                                                                       jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.