JMS on CompuServe (Apr 07, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Sun Apr 7 17:02:32 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

   of this battle, really wanted to do what they did.  It reminds the
   poster of the U.S. Civil War. ]

 #: 482628 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  16:19:10
Sb: #482545-<SD - Narn Sacrifice>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks...

    06-Apr-96  15:18:23
Sb: #B5 Abuse in Sactown
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hi, loved "Severed Dreams," but I have a big local concern I want to mention to
you.

I know you can't do much about this, but I have to vent my frustration at the
utter stupidity of our local B5 carrier, KPWB-31 in Sacramento. They are
pre-empting B5 ("Severed Dreams" -- I was lucky enough to catch it off of a
sattelite feed, but try to watch every broadcast as well) tonight at its
regular 6pm Saturday showing for a Kings basketball game.  This, in and of
itself isn't big news; they've pre-empted B5 many times before.  What really
irks me about this showing is:

 1. It's the first new episode in a while.
 2. It's the damn finest episode to date, IMHO.
 3. Their *ONLY* showing of it will be at 3am Sunday.
 4. They have marked that showing as "repeat" in the TV Guide.
 5. When called, they responded that it says repeat, because that is
    a second showing.  When asked when the first showing was going to be
    on, they went into an endless logic loop and their puny little programming
    heads imploded.

 Ugh.  This is the same station that sent me a fairly nice letter stating that
they loved B5, it was good for them, and that they would
continue to show it as long as you guys made it.  Yeah, *riiiigghht*.

 A lot of us have been swarming them with calls, and a recent caller was told
that they've been getting a lot of calls on it.  What worries me, though, is
that this, the finest episode to date, the one you suggested we all use to
bring in new viewers, will only be shown in the California Central Valley area
at 3am on Sunday.  And *worse yet*, that's the friggin' morning that we set our
clocks forward an hour, so about half the audience who will record the show
will probably get the Farming Journal or some other tripe instead.

 I'm not a violent man, but . . .

 Thanks for reading my rantings.

 I look forward to the rest of the season and the series and hope to Ghod the
idiots at KPWB realize what they have and how they're abusing it.

 #: 482836 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  22:50:38
Sb: #482553-B5 Abuse in Sactown
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nuts, you're right, that *is* very unfortunate.  Especially given how
good the episode is.

    06-Apr-96  21:55:55
Sb: #B5 Fan Club
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

What do we have to do to get the fan club applications?  Do we have to send a
letter, or do we get it if we signed up online, on AOL or the web, a few months
back?

When should we expect to receive the applications by?

 #: 482837 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  22:50:39
Sb: #482793-B5 Fan Club
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'll post the full information this coming week.

    06-Apr-96  21:56:54
Sb: #Stern on B5
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

Since Howard Stern is a big fan of your show, do you plan on asking him to
guest star on B5 sometime?

 #: 482838 S5/Babylon 5: General
    06-Apr-96  22:50:40
Sb: #482795-Stern on B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No immediate plans for this, no.

                                                                      jms

 #: 482570 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  16:04:39
Sb: #<Severed Dreams>
Fm: ELYSE M. GRASSO

Joe --

I just saw Dreams for the first time a little while ago. You're going to have
to work to top this one...

The stuff involving the Earth Alliance fleet was all very well done and
impressive, but it was the smaller moments that are sticking in my mind right
now. Londo in the customs line, and the very polite Narn whose computer did not
recognize him. Delenn facing down the Grey Council's guard (as well as the
council itself). G'Kar showing up right where he was needed. ISN going black.
Sheridan's father talking about corn. Sheridan leaving his uniform jacket
behind.

I think the word I'm looking for is 'resonance'.

Congratulations, and keep up the good work.

Elyse

 #: 482839 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:43
Sb: #482570-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks; you're right, it's the moments that make any good show.

                                                                         jms

 #: 482690 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  19:31:37
Sb: #482266-#<Severed Dreams>
Fm: KAREN E. BAHNSEN

>>It was the hardest thing we've ever done...but it was worth it.<<

        Agreed...and then some.
        My grown son watched "Severed Dreams" with me.  Two days later he was
*still* raving about it.  It's the first time he's said I *ought to tell you*
what a great job you did.  He's a fan from the beginning , but he's never been
so excited by an episode.  He kept up until I said I would.
        He said he was "on the edge of his seat."  I told him everyone around
here has been using that expression, too.  We were enthralled.  Some eps make
you think, this one really made us *feel.*  And the visuals just knocked us
over.
        My son was trying to eat his *favorite* Ben & Jerry's
Blueberry/Raspberry sorbet and was so excited by the show he abandoned it on
the end table to melt.  I didn't even notice.  <g>
        He said he's seldom seen graphics of that quality even in feature
films.  He's taking his VCR and my tapes of the last three eps to his friend's
to convert him.  He says if this doesn't do it, nothing will.
        Ha!  After all the teasing about me being "B5 Ballistic," it's about
time the kid showed some enthusiasm.  From what I've read around here,
everybody who has seen it has been hooting and cheering and tearing up in the
appropriate places.  I'd *love* to watch this in a theatre with a crowd of
fans.  What a blast!
        I really enjoyed the conference this afternoon.  We all appreciate the
time you spend interacting with us.

Karen

 #: 482841 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:46
Sb: #482690-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Any work of fiction must, on some level, make you *feel*
something for the characters, so it isn't just an intellectual exercise, or the
resolution of the plot.  If you can touch the emotions, then you've got
something very special.

                                                                     jms

   than any other episode. ]

 #: 482843 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:48
Sb: #482804-<Severed Dreams, WOW>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, this one had more CGI than anything we've ever done before.  And
thanks.

                                                                      jms

   rampage." ]

 #: 482844 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:50
Sb: #482599-#'Severed Dreams'
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

                                                                        jms

   should now be used to bring in new viewers. ]

 #: 482845 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:51
Sb: #482636->>Severed Dreams<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  If you've got someone new to the show, who might not know the
backstory very well, then probably the Michael York episode, "A Late Delivery
>From Avalon" would be a good one.

                                                                       jms

 #: 482718 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  20:09:39
Sb: #482274-#<SD - Narn Sacrifice>
Fm: AL LIPSCOMB

That makes sense. I guess the defense was tracking their movement (although the
attack force could have split up).

I bet it was a hard choice on leaving the jump gate online. The whole question
of jump gate vs jump point for the attackers must have been a hard one. Do you
come in at a predictable location with full power or do you come at a suprise
location with reduced power.

One final note, an opinion on my part. When the two EA ships turned and ran, I
think the turn looked a little to fast. I know they were in a big rush to get
somewhere else, but in the battles they just did not look that agile.

Thanks again for the hard work by your crew and yourself. I wonder if in twenty
years B5 will be noted as the first show where the fans could get answers from
the writter and producer within hours of its airing.

 #: 482846 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    06-Apr-96  22:50:53
Sb: #482718-<SD - Narn Sacrifice>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, the ships kinda turned fast there, but we were just out of time in
the episode, and had to move it along.

      In any event...thanks for the great comments.

                                                                   jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.