JMS on CompuServe (Apr 11, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/3

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Thu Apr 11 19:38:08 EDT 1996

   logo for those who aren't in the first 100 to join the fan club. ]

 #: 485254 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:13:50
Sb: #485201-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If I can, I will....

    10-Apr-96  02:09:43
Sb: #B5 Previews
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

Joe,
        I thought I should send this reply I posted in response to someone else
your way just so you don't miss it. I'm not sure if what both I and Shane make
reference to where the previews are concerned is at all relevant, but I do
think you should know about what's been happening.

Subj:  B5 Previews                      Section: Babylon 5: General
  To:  Shane S. Shellenbarger, 104305,3404Wednesday, April 10, 1996 4:48:23 AM
From:  William H. DiPaola, 76521,1751   #484962

<<<Joe, In Phoenix, the coming attractions spot is being taken by a Kung Fu
promo and the spot normally used to promo Kung Fu is being used for the
contest.>>>

        The same thing is being done here in New York by WWOR stationed in
Secaucus NJ. If PTEN really exists no longer, why would such an advertisement
be inserted when a B5 promo could be shown in its place just as easily? I just
don't get it, and once again something smells a bit fishy in the way
syndicators seem to be treating B5.

 #: 485255 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:13:52
Sb: #484965-B5 Previews
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the PTEN change wouldn't really take effect until after year three,
assuming that goes on as it seems to be.  This year is still under the PTEN
aegis, and thus the cross promotion is necessary.

                                                                         jms

 #: 485256 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:13:54
Sb: #485012-#This season so far
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, DSS doesn't pick up individual syndicated shows.

    10-Apr-96  09:56:16
Sb: #Earth Gov Question
Fm: BRUNO  MELANCON

I just finished reading the (very good) Zocalo newsletter and the talk about
the structure of Earth government has puzzled me a bit.

Does Earth still have different nations/states with presidents/prime ministers
and so on, under rules from the Earth Alliance gov., with its own Senate and
President? Are the EA senators and president elected by all earth population?

Andorian

 #: 485257 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:13:56
Sb: #485072-#Earth Gov Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Each nation/state elects a leader, and that leader is either one of the
Earthgov senators, in the case of a smaller nation, or appoints a rep to be on
that body.

                                                                      jms

   re-watched his tape of "Comes the Inquisitor" to warm-up himself and
   his friend. ]

 #: 485258 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:13:59
Sb: #485123-Season 3 of Babylon5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  The show has consistently worked to improve, and even over such
competition of CtI, we continue to get stronger.  Evolve or die....

    10-Apr-96  14:00:52
Sb: #Dreams [no spoiler]
Fm: MARK SLOAN

Hi, Joe

I believe you wanted to top "Coming of Shadows" with "Severed Dreams". IMHO,
you have....and then some! What an episode! Congratulations to all involved!

Regards,
Mark Sloan

 #: 485259 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:14:02
Sb: #485185-Dreams [no spoiler]
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks....

                                                                jms

 #: 485220 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  14:42:19
Sb: #<SD- ISN News>
Fm: TROY STARR

JMS -

During the last minute of ISN's broadcast, the reporter mentions that there is
a lot of stuff going on that ISN hasn't been allowed to report because of
President Clark.

Just how much did the reporters at ISN know, and how long have they known it?
Has President Clark been using the information gathered by ISN's reporters
(such as what is going on out in space and what the people/citizens of Earth
think) for his own purposes?  How much control over ISN did President Clark
have (i.e. did he have someone from the political office review every news
script before they went on the air)?

Thanks.

- Troy

 #: 485260 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:04
Sb: #485220-<SD- ISN News>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'm sorry, but we cannot answer your question at this time.  We are
experincing temporary transmission problems with ISN, but hope to have the
situation remedied very soon.  Meanwhile, you can direct any inquiries for
information to the Ministry of Peace, and the Ministry for Public Information,
which has been aiding all public information broadcasts for almost two years
now.

      At the tone, please leave your name and identicard number.  Don't worry
about calling back.  We'll find you.

      <beep>

                                                                         jms

   love the show and thanks him for being available on-line. ]

 #: 485261 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:07
Sb: #485079-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and the pleasure is entirely mine.

                                                                    jms

   Lennier.  Asks how JMS got the idea for the AI B5 computer
   personality. ]

 #: 485262 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:08
Sb: #484939-#<Ceremonies - well done>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I'm doing a lot to deepen up Marcus and Lennier, to let people
see parts of them we might not have seen before.  Everyone grows on the show;
even at this point, compare Lennier to the wide-eyed innocent who first arrived
at the station and couldn't even bring himself to look Delenn in the eyes.

      Actually, no, the computer voice, Sparky, wasn't really a nod of any kind
to Hitchhiker's.  (And 2001's HAL beat them to the punch a long time before
that in any event.)  No, I just figured, if the computer system had a glitch,
what would it sound like?  Answer...Harlan.

                                                                   jms

   considering that JMS had to write for two commander/leader characters
   in the same scenes/episode. ]

 #: 485263 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:11
Sb: #484974-#Writing WWE
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, it was no problem at all.  The similarity is only if you choose
to define them by their narrow roles.  Their personalities are vastly
different.  Also, Sinclair's been through a lot in the intervening couple of
years, he's grown, he and Marcus would definitely have something of a
relationship since he would've been there while Marcus was being trained, and
so on.  And their roles in the story are very different.

      It actually came out pretty well.  I'm very happy with it.

                                                                     jms

 #: 485023 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  07:00:11
Sb: #<Ceremonies>
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

Just a quick note saying I really liked ceremonies, it was the perfect episode
to air after SD, not as intense, but not a let down, especially during the
revelations at the end of the ep.

I was disturbed about one thing though, that was Lennier's outburst, "We may
look like you..." I realize he was under a lot of pressure, but this comment
had strong racist overtones. My friend said after seeing that scene "So Lennier
is a racist, but tolerates humans because of his love for delenn."

I've seen many examples of him having good relationships with humans, and, as
with everything in the B5 universe, his bigotry is probably a shade of grey,
but it disturbed me just the same.

- Neil

 #: 485264 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:14
Sb: #485023-<Ceremonies>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I didn't see or intend any element of Lennier being racist; but there
are definitely differences in culture and physiology between Minbari and
humans.  Minbari are very careful about personal space, and they don't like to
be talked to a certain way.  Marcus momentarily forgot himself, and acted
inappropriately.  Lennier corrected him.

                                                                      jms

   point of watching every episode.  He is interested in knowing if there
   will be any models of B5 ships or the station available. ]

 #: 485265 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  16:14:15
Sb: #485173-Great show
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank you.  I'm glad you've stayed with it.  There will probably be
models at some point down the road; right now the only models are illegal ones.
I want a B5 model myself, frankly.

      Of course, I'd like mine on a 1-1 scale....

                                                                      jms

   surface mail and since they don't take credit cards and won't take cash,
   she has to get an international money order which makes it very
   expensive. ]

 #: 485270 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Apr-96  16:24:07
Sb: #485021-#Fan Club
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Unfortunately, we're not set up at the time to take credit cards; we're a
small operation.  Also, we had a number of folks ask for the regular mail route
for overseas vs. airmail because they wanted to keep the cost factor down.  So
we're kinda caught between a rock and a hard place here.

                                                                   jms

 [ NOTE: JMS re-sent the fan club order form.  I won't reproduce it here, as
   it is available on several web pages and has been widely posted on
   USENET. ]

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *