JMS on CompuServe (Apr 11, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/3

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Thu Apr 11 19:38:12 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

   five episodes of this season and says that he was "BLOWN AWAY" by
   them. ]

 #: 485608 S2/Star Trek: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:03
Sb: #485298-ST v Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, then, if the first five blew you away...grab something to hold onto
when you get to 8, 9 and 10.

                                                                      jms

 #: 485352 S2/Star Trek: General
    10-Apr-96  18:10:21
Sb: #484891-#ST v Babylon 5
Fm: FITZGERALDS

I don't know why people compare ST & B5.  I find the different perceptions of
the future intriguing. It makes one think and I like that. To have only one
narrow view boggles my mind.  Keep up the great work!
Nora

 #: 485609 S2/Star Trek: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:04
Sb: #485352-ST v Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and I agree.  SF profits from a multiplicity of voices, and all
who sing well and with heart are welcome to join the chorus.

    10-Apr-96  19:25:38
Sb: #484659-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

 > (Once the web site is up and running, it's our hope to have it
 > credit card ready, so you could perhaps wait for that if it's a
 > burden for now.  It should be up within about a month.)

  Joe,

  Are you guys planning to use the NetSrcape Commerce (or other) secure web
server?

  Recall that last year some fellow cracked the non-North America NetScape
browser because it only used a 40 bit encryption key. Then more recently,
another guy reversed engineered the NetScape code and discovered it used a
maximum of 256 values to generate the 128+ bit encryption key (i.e. it wasn't
very secure after all).

  So, some of us are still not very inclined to transmit credit card numbers
over the Internet.

        -Dupa T. Parrot [Tech Supp SysOp]
        <OS/2 WarpConnect & GCP> O-

 #: 485610 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:06
Sb: #485415-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, I absolutely agree, which is why that won't be the only venue for
such information.  Anybody who's not comfortable with that will have other
options.

    10-Apr-96  19:21:56
Sb: #485254-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: SYSOP LEE WHITESIDE

Is that the original logo you put up way back when?  We've likely still got a
copy buried in the library somewhere if it is.

 #: 485611 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:09
Sb: #485412-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, it's the keyhole logo.

                                                                      jms

   a friend of the poster's saw someone in San Jose who resembled her. ]

 #: 485612 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:12
Sb: #485316-B5 at SyndiCon SF
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, no other relatives that I know of.

    10-Apr-96  19:31:30
Sb: #485256-#This season so far
Fm: MARY JUSTICE

>>  No, DSS doesn't pick up individual syndicated shows.

                                                                    jms <<

It's a darned shame it doesn't. I've gotten so spoiled by the great picture
quality and digital sound on DSS that I would love to see my favorite show in
that way. If TNT someday carries the reruns, as I've heard rumored, that may be
my chance, unless they all come out on videotape.

Mary Justice at 18:50 on 10-Apr-96 using OzWin II V2.01

 #: 485613 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:13
Sb: #485425-#This season so far
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      As a proud ower of a DirecTV/DSS hookup (in my office, since it's too far
off the beaten track for cable), I have to concur on the quality of the sound
and image.  It's just breathtaking.

    10-Apr-96  16:50:22
Sb: #Green! Purple!
Fm: SYSOP DUPA T PARROT

  Joe,

  You might find this amusing...

  There's a guy in the Chicago area who's writing a book on Al Capone. This guy
managed to salvage the bathroom tile from Capone's suite in the old Lexington
Hotel (now torn down).

  These tiles are green and purple. I wasn't aware that Capone was Drazi!

        -Dupa T. Parrot [Tech Supp SysOp]
        <OS/2 WarpConnect & GCP> O-

 #: 485614 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:14
Sb: #485287-Green! Purple!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If *anyone* could be a Drazi, it's Capone....

    10-Apr-96  22:16:02
Sb: #<Severed Dreams>
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

Joe,
        I apologize for not getting this note to you sooner, but I must commend
you and your team on the excellent work done in "Severed Dreams". It truly was
awesome and inspiring to see that quality of this kind; writing; acting; FX,
and so forth, can still be found in television despite the lack of credit that
you and your team are SO WORTHY OF receiving in my view. I was talking to a
close friend last night on the phone who is an aspiring graphics artist, and he
too LOVES your show. The two of us were left feeling melancholy when discussing
the phenomenal quality of what we saw just two nights before when viewing your
show, both of us commenting on the incredible FX work done, the detail involved
in the smallest of items within those scenes and the amount of work that must
have been involved in producing them, and how you guys don't get the
recognition you all so rightly deserve. I find it astonishing to see the
top-notch work *everyone* on this show does and what they manage to attain in
terms of quality, all the while getting so little credit for such excellent
entertainment.
        The Networks can go scratch in my view. You guys are a Network unto
yourselves, and you should all be very proud of what you accomplish with each
episode that you all work so hard to produce. Screw the Emmy's and those
self-congragulatory idiots behind that Ceremony!

 #: 485615 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  00:21:18
Sb: #485584-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  I think we'll get the credit for what we've all done sooner or
later....

                                                                     jms

 #: 485312 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-Apr-96  17:41:02
Sb: #482263-#<Severed Dreams>
Fm: BRUCE "FIRESTORM" S.

>      Advertisers generally go right up to the limits of the sound, but can't
>go over it.  They just use up *all* the frequency range, so it seems louder
>and bigger.

Jms, do you know what was the reason for the sound limit imposed by the FCC?

 #: 485616 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:19
Sb: #485312-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I used to know...I think it had something to do with preventing audio
bleedovers, but I'm not 100% sure on that score.

                                                                       jms

   Sheridan is given the bad news about the approaching group of ships. ]

 #: 485617 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:20
Sb: #485497-<Severed Dreams, WOW>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yup.  Cool shot.  Thanks.

                                                                    jms

   very well, especially with the light seeming to come in and out of her
   cockpit as the fighter spun.  Wonders how it was done. ]

 #: 485618 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:23
Sb: #485434-<SD- Special Scene>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  We fixed a light atop a gimble, and pre-determined the rotation
of the starfury, then moved the lighting to match.  Gives it a much more
realistic feel.

                                                                      jms

   C&C as was done in "The Gathering." ]

 #: 485619 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:25
Sb: #485471-<SD- Special Scene>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, we did it once, in "Messages," but not much therafter.  The
main reason is the cost of renting varilights, and the height of our ceiling,
which is somewhat lower than where we shot the pilot.

                                                                    jms

   to some women. ]

 #: 485620 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:27
Sb: #485379-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Attractiveness is wildly subjective.  I still don't quite see what makes
everyone fall over about Sharon Stone.  It's all just personal.

                                                                   jms

   would have joined the Rebirth Ceremony. ]

 #: 485621 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:30
Sb: #485277-<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't think Londo feels he needs to be redeemed; his reasons as stated
were quite sincere.

      And thanks.

                                                                         jms

 #: 485622 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  00:21:32
Sb: #485246-Straight to video movie
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      WB hasn't said much about the direct-to-video movie, though they're now
discussing a true feature.  It's just the usual up and downs that come from the
studios as they try to figure out what to do with us.

                                                                     jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *