JMS on CompuServe (Apr 12, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/2

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Sun Apr 14 00:04:24 EDT 1996

    11-Apr-96  18:18:50
Sb: #SanFran Query
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Question: if one were to go to dinner in San Francisco, and one wanted to
go somewhere *very* nice, very tony, upscale, with *terrific* food, maybe a
view of the bay or something equally spiffy, no loud music, something very
comfortable, no pushy waiters...what would be the best place in town?  (It
preferably doesn't require reservations weeks in advance.)

      Follow up: if afterward one wanted to go to a great part of town for a
cup of coffee, with little interesting shops in the area, or in a pretty part
of town...what would one suggest?

      Thanks.

                                                                     jms

 #: 486130 S2/Star Trek: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:19
Sb: #485954-ST v Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      New Babylon 5 episodes, third season, begin airing on Channel 4 this
Sunday, the 14th, at 6:00 p.m.

    11-Apr-96  03:57:58
Sb: #484265-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: TRENT K. JOHNSON

This is probably a no-brainer, Joe, but if WB has access to the numbers for the
fan club, a good response would also help convince them the interest is there
for videos, etc.?

Which is one of the reasons I sent my app Tuesday.

Trent/ReAnimators
                  ^^^^                           CD-RMES

 #: 486131 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:20
Sb: #485670-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know what it takes to get through on this issue, frankly....

    11-Apr-96  05:36:25
Sb: #484898-#B5 Cancelled Rumor
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
        I'd bet that during the 5th season someone will be spreading the rumor
that B5 will be canceled before the remainder of the season can be shown.
Whatcha gonna do?

 #: 486132 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:23
Sb: #485692-#B5 Cancelled Rumor
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We hunt them down and keel them....

                                                                   jms

 #: 486133 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:25
Sb: #485810-#This season so far
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Maybe.  You must understand I'm speaking fairly close to being a layman
at this stuff.  All I know is that when I look at what I get on cable, and what
I get on the DSS, the difference is *startling*, and I haven't ever noticed any
"artifacting."  My feeling is, if I can't see it, it doesn't bother me.

                                                                      jms

   wil [sic] write baylon[sic] fiction. I don't like Babylon much myself." ]

 #: 486134 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:27
Sb: #485727-WRITERS WANTED
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank you.  And it's "doubt," not "dought."  Editors should watch such
things.

                                                                       jms

 #: 486135 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:30
Sb: #485837-#WRITERS WANTED
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      "Who are you?"

      That would be telling.

      "I'm a black and frosted rosebud whom the good god has preserved since
last October.  Take no notice."  -- Christopher Fry

                                                                       jms

   "exceptional individual" in a "universe of complex and interesting
   characters." ]

 #: 486136 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:33
Sb: #485869-Delenn
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thank you.  Now that she's gone through her own personal fire, she's a
much stronger character, and very interesting to write.  There's steel, and
there's humanity and compassion, and she feels no need to defend or justify any
of those traits.  What she is, she is.

                                                                        jms

   a U.K. fan: 1) Why does the U.K. get B5 episodes on tape? 2) What is the
   budget of B5? 3) How is unused money handled when B5 is under budget?
   4) What's the budget of Star Trek vs. that of B5? 5) Where does B5 fall
   in the syndicated ratings? 6) How many viewers does B5 have? ]

 #: 486137 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:34
Sb: #485975-#UK and budgets
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No TV shows are sent around on film anymore these days; it's all sent on
digital tape.

      The exact budget isn't something we give out; suffice to say it's under a
million per episode, or about half the budget of an average ST episode.

      We've come in a little bit under budget each year; not a lot, but some.
A small portion of whatever money isn't spent goes into interim next season
stuff (studio maintenance and improvements, set storage and repair, that sort
of thing).  The rest goes back to WB as per our contract.

      In the syndicated ratings, B5 generally falls anywhere from the low 30s
to 40s during first run, a bit lower on long reruns.  But this is out of about
250 or more syndicated shows per week.  So we're in about the top 20% of all
syndicated shows, and always in the top 10 of dramatic series.

      I haven't actually seen any viewer numbers; I know the UK tends to give
them, but I've never seen the figure given for X-million US B5 viewers.

                                                                      jms

   and others wear are off-the-shelf or made by the B5 costume department.
   if not off-the-shelf, the poster would like to know if they're going
   to be made available through the fan club. ]

 #: 486138 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:39
Sb: #486022-#B5 EA Shirts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, those shirts are made by our wardrobe department.  We hadn't ever
considered selling them...maybe we should.

                                                                    jms

   loved it.  The poster asks JMS if JMS can remember the line Ivanova
   said to Sheridan about how she "always respects Sheridan because he
   always questions himself." ]

 #: 486139 S5/Babylon 5: General
    11-Apr-96  18:48:41
Sb: #486023-#There All Honor Lies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Jeez, I don't remember that exact line anymore...but your paraphrase is
pretty close, so maybe it's not too bad.

                                                                       jms

   in general English terms indicates a hand in his death or responsibility
   of some sort. ]

 #: 486141 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  18:48:45
Sb: #485930-<Severed Dreams>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, she doesn't feel responsible; it's an artifact of the way they
approach certain things.  "His word is on my lips, his spirit is in my eyes."
It's almost a way of saying he's speaking through me, back off.

                                                                       jms

   was one of Londo's chances for redemption. ]

 #: 486142 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  18:48:46
Sb: #485949-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, this wasn't an opportunity for redemption.  It would be flagged as
much more important than this.

                                                                        jms

   won over and now considers B5 to be "the best TV science fiction ever
   done."  Says he and his 12 year old son never miss an episode. ]

 #: 486143 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  18:48:48
Sb: #486074-B5 Cancellation RUMOR
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's great, thanks for joining the party.  I'm pleased to find that the
show has given a number of parents and kids something they can watch and
discuss together.  There are certainly more than enough things to pull us
apart.

                                                                         jms

 #: 485981 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  15:37:10
Sb: #484662-#Effects record question
Fm: MICHAEL GRABOIS

And speaking of the Star Wars universe, I'd like to chime in and say that the
battle scene in "Severed Dreams" captivated me and held my attention like no
other space battle since the Battle of the Death Star, when I was 11 years old.

spoiler for opening credits for those UK folks who haven't seen it yet

Incidentally, when season 3 started here, one of the biggest topics of
conversation was the shot of the Starfuries firing on each other from the
opening credits: what could have led to that? Now we see. Was that scene from
"Severed Dreams", from another episode, or was it made up especially for the
opening credits?
        mg

 #: 486144 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  18:48:50
Sb: #485981-Effects record question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The opening shot was made specifically for the title sequence, as (for
lack of a better term) a bit of foreshadowing.  We generally put our cards
right out in plain view for people to see.

                                                                       jms

   wonders if this brother became Anna Sheridan when Sinclair left the
   show. ]

 #: 486145 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    11-Apr-96  18:48:53
Sb: #485775-#Sinclair's Brother
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the b-story about Sinclair's brother was never intended to be the
Anna Sheridan thing, since obviously the reference was to his brother still
being alive.

      I never just transfer stories from A to B; each character has to have his
or her own individual arc, specific to who that person is.  Bits and pieces get
moved around, or reassigned, but not generally that blatantly.

                                                                        jms

   will surpass SW in terms of space battles.  He also loves the new
   Starfury (Thunderbolt), and appreciates the way JMS dealt with the
   honored dead who sacrificed their lives for those of others. ]

 #: 486389 S2/Star Trek: General
    11-Apr-96  23:39:20
Sb: #486124-ST v Babylon 5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and you're right; when sacrifices are made for the benefit of
others, attention should be paid.

                                                                      jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *