JMS on CompuServe (Apr 16, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/4

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Wed Apr 17 02:18:46 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

 #: 487505 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Apr-96  17:14:21
Sb: #486399-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

Just out of curiosity, you have said that we would see a "true believer" of
Nightwatch in the first four eps of this group.  Was Sniper one of them?

Sin wreak-oar Mistie, Montie, PITAS, Emperor of SPAMM and Kidism Patroler
"Even your former President, James Earl Carter Jr., thought he saw a UFO.  It
was later proven to be the planet Venus."
"I - I'm a Republican."
        -from the X-Files

 #: 489006 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:43
Sb: #487505-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They were both true believers.

      I also went just a little here for a kind of metaphorical approach; prior
to this, Nightwatch folks have always been presented as starched, scrubbed,
visually appealing...the face they wanted others to see.  Now we see their true
face, the scarred, dark, empty eyes, no longer pretending to hide.  So we kinda
cast in that direction.

                                                                      jms

 #: 487711 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Apr-96  23:02:07
Sb: #485621-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      I don't think Londo feels he needs to be redeemed; his reasons as
stated were quite sincere.

Delenn handeled he wrong. She has the arrogance of a judge. She may be correct,
but she *has* to let others know what *she* thins is wrong with them, even if
it gets her comrades shot.

Londo acted on behalf of his people, he sacrificed everything, including his
personal morality to keep his world from collapsing, and now he is trying to
keep from going too far in the other direction. Actually, the way you have
written him, Londo is a *hell* of a leader.

Phil ^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 489007 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:45
Sb: #487711-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      "Londo is a hell of a leader."

      Perfect fodder for an Emperor, no...?

                                                                      jms

 #: 488285 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    14-Apr-96  19:22:58
Sb: #<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

You were afraid, you said a few days ago, that Ceremonies would be a let down
after Severed Dreams.  The consensus among the four fans watching it together
here, was that it could be described as lower voltage, but higher amperage.
Similarly powerful.

Anne

 #: 489008 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:47
Sb: #488285-#<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Compliments paid in mathematical terms always worry me for some reason.

                                                                        jms

 #: 487708 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Apr-96  23:01:51
Sb: #485262-#<Ceremonies - well done>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

Quick question on Talia-Ivannova. I think you have established that Ivannova
has had relationships with males in the past, and half the section is guessing
that she may end up in one with Marcus. Are you assuming that it Is it easier
for a person who is generally hetrosexual to form a same sex physical
relationship with a telepath than with a normal person.

Talia said that telepaths making love was extremely intense. The way she
described it, it didn;t sound like the sex part of it was the most important
thing, but the mind to mind closeness made it so strong as to be unsustainable.

Also, given that Ivannova had *finally* found someone to be close to, it it
just her fate to get screwed by Psi Corps?

Phil ^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 489009 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:51
Sb: #487708-#<Ceremonies - well done>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, people get involved with other people for any number of reasons; it's
not necessarily any easier to stay within one's gender with teeps.

                                                                    jms

 #: 487728 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Apr-96  23:02:40
Sb: #485264-#<Ceremonies>
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>> Marcus momentarily forgot himself, and acted inappropriately.  Lennier
corrected him.

Marcus is not by nature a formal person. Lennier *is* by nature a formal
person.

They are a great Mutt and Jeff team.

Incidently, are we supposed to buy this "I know her destiny is with someone
else and I have accepted it" stuff?

Phil ^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 489010 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:52
Sb: #487728-#<Ceremonies>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, there was certainly that little catch in his voice, that
hesitation, before he added "...in my heart."

                                                                        jms

 #: 487678 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    13-Apr-96  21:55:34
Sb: #486400-#The Original Storyline
Fm: RANDALL A. SCHANZE

Thank you!

Are you still schedualed to go to the Marcon in ohio in May?  I've got a copy
of "Othersyde" and a felt tip pen.....<BGD&R>

Admiral Randy

 #: 489011 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:54
Sb: #487678-The Original Storyline
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I'll be at Marcon.

                                                                        jms

   uniforms. ]

 #: 489012 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:44:58
Sb: #487064-#<Ceremonies> Costume
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, not really.  I wanted it to have a crossed look, certain Minbari
elements and textures, lines that are reminiscent of the Rangers, but also of
Earthforce.  Hence, the result.

                                                                           jms

   story.  Also fears that all of the relationships in the show are doomed
   to failure based on the current score. ]

 #: 489014 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:45:02
Sb: #487699-Love in CoL&D
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Certainly various sorts of love was at the core of the episode, and what
we do for one another.

      But no, not all relationships have to end badly (despite my own general
history in that regard).

                                                                      jms

 #: 489015 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:45:05
Sb: #487983-<<<JMS THANKYOU!!!!>>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...it's a good start to the season.

      But we have far to go before we can rest.

                                                                 jms

 #: 487992 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    14-Apr-96  11:41:14
Sb: #<Sic Transit Vir>
Fm: DAVID CERRETA

Joe,

The second of the two breather episodes and just as enjoyable as CLD in that it
highlighted one of the important supporting characters.  As with Lennier, we
see Vir in an entirely different light.  Stephen Furst's portrayal has a
certain subtley that is lost sometimes among all the stammering and timidity
that is Vir's external persona.  Vir is strong, much stronger than either we or
the other characters might suspect.  Seeing how his time on Minbar had
"corrupted" him was not a surprise.  He always seemed to have very altruistic
tendencies.

Halfway through the show, I found myself realizing what had been missing from
the show over the three episode mini-arc: humor.  Not that it wasn't there, but
the mood was so dark.  So with STV you got to play around and I was glad you
did.  You have warned us that season three is very dark.  I wonder now, whether
those who want it that way will feel the same way at the end.  I, for one, miss
the humor, Ivanova's wisecracks, Garibaldi's sarcastic gibes.  It was
so...refreshing, in every sense of the word, to see Sheridan smile and try his
hand at wooing Delenn.  Anyway, thanks for the breathers.  Whether I knew it or
not, we needed them.

Couple of technical questions and observations:  Liked the new "uniforms" for
the rest of the old EarthForce personnel.  I find it amusing we get our first
view of them while Ivanova sports her birthday suit at the beginning. Lyndisty
was a thoroughly intriguing character.  I knew she was more than what she
appeared to be, but to have such a past history was so...repellant. I'm not
surprised, tho, that Vir is still quite interested in her.  He is the one who
must be seen as a pariah by most Centauri and her love for him must appear to
be noble.  To want to love and marry a man "like" Vir....

I do wonder now two episodes into the split from Earth just how finances and
the everyday running of B5 is done.  I know that all the other governments help
pay for the operations, but what about salaries.  All Earth Force personnel no
longer are being paid, are they?  Who is replenishing supplies? Are things
being bartered?  Are the Minbari picking up the slack?  I know that B5 had a
diplomatic mission in the past, but now it seems like it could be quite
succesful simply as a market center.  Is that its function for the time being?

Once again, ad nauseum, good work!!!!  This show, week in and week out, fails
to disappoint.  Haven't seen the previews for next week, but I find it amusing
that they've previewed the SAME Kung Fu episode two weeks in a row.<G>  IMO, a
real waste of time, but I don't run what's left of the PTEN.

Until next Sunday,

Best, Dave

 #: 489016 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:45:06
Sb: #487992-<Sic Transit Vir>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Dealing with the financial and support situation comes up next
week.

      And agree re: Vir.  He's a much stronger character than anyone might
think.  He's sort of the "God's Fool" character, to get literary for a second,
who somehow manages to make it through it all.

                                                                        jms

 #: 487997 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    14-Apr-96  11:49:23
Sb: #<Ceremonies...>
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

I found this episode ... unsettling, as I think it was meant to be, the way a
pool is after a large rock has been thrown into it.

Again there were vivid contrasts:  the stateliness of the funeral scene vs. the
disturbing comedy of Londo's approach to Refa ("a little party in your
cardiovascular system"), the dreadful intensity of the Nightwatch kidnapping
vs. the slow grace of the ceremony of rebirth, and Marcus' (who personifies
antic turbulence) caroming around the station vs. Lennier's measured and
methodical devotion.

I was fascinated by the Ceremony of rebirth order, which seemed to me to be
counter to what might be expected.  A more cliched approach would have been to
build each confession from Franklin (terse, incomplete) to Sheridan (almost
joyously expansive).  But the order, as presented, acted like a falling
arpeggio, followed by a sudden burst from the brasses with the appearance of
the crew in their new uniforms.  For me, that was very effective and sort of
points the episode out of itself towards the future.

On rewatching it, I discovered some of the little visual things that I missed
on the first go-round:  the shadow of the departing ship passing over Ivanova
in C&C like a foreboding, Marcus' clenching and unclenching his hands when
Delenn is urging him to let go of his pain, the serene glide of the Minbari
cruisers like angelfish in an aquarium at the end.

The only problem I had was a flashfire of anger during the "Dem Bones" bit. As
chillingly effective as it was, it made me wonder how difficult this episode
must have been for Mira Furlan, since it more or less slams her up against a
microcosm of the horrors she left behind in Bosnia.  Was she able to
 use the pain to confirm a sense of her own rebirth? I hope so.  But that
concern did manage to put a slight, momentary fracture in the "fourth wall."

Again, a remarkable and moving achievement by all.

    - rje -

Using Virtual Access

 #: 489017 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:45:10
Sb: #487997-#<Ceremonies...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I think Mira was able to draw upon her background a lot in this one.

      I also like the look between Marcus and Delenn as they stand in the
customs area...he looks like he desperately wants to say more, and she like she
desperately wants to hear it...but he turns and walks away, the moment lost.

                                                                        jms

 #: 488183 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    14-Apr-96  16:07:42
Sb: #>>Sic Transit Vir<<
Fm: TONI MULLER

Just saw Sic Transit Vir and really enjoyed it.  This was indeed more of a
break from the past weeks' intensity.  I liked all the humor.  I can really
related to Susan's dreams, too.  I _hate_ the one where my teeth are breaking
and falling out, and only recently have I  learned that this is not an uncommon
dream.  And showing up naked - I'm glad that most of the time, I somehow
realize I am dreaming even in my dream, so it's not so bad.  Susan's response
to the later references to nakedness were perfect.  But the topper was the
conversation between Susan and Vir.  What an absolute hoot!

You continue to develop the relationship between Sheridan and Delenn quite
nicely.  But shame on you for interrupting them.  I mean, the last time Susan
had "bad" timing, it was good, but this time...you're really cruel, you know.

The whole plot with Londo, Vir, and Lyndisty was very well-done and telling.
Vir has really grown.  I like him more and more each episode.  I wonder if he
still thinks there is hope for Londo; he seems to think there is hope for
Lyndisty.  It was a little hard to believe her talk about the Narns and her
past history with them, but then I realized that there are humans who feel this
way about other humans who are much more like them than a Centauri is to a Narn
- and who, like Lyndisty, haven't thought about why they believe what they do,
but  just accept what they've heard all their lives and are proud to be what
they are.  Very saddening and a bit discouraging, that scene.

Looking forward to "Late Delivery."  BTW, I think my husband is now thoroughly
converted.  After watching another show last night, he complained how he felt
let down, but that after each episode of Babylon 5 he just wants more.  He
tells people it's the best show he's ever seen.  And he used to laugh at me for
saying the same.  Maybe he'll finally learn that the wife is _always_ right!

Toni

 #: 489018 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    15-Apr-96  20:45:11
Sb: #488183-#>>Sic Transit Vir<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, I love the Ivanova/Vir scenes; I fall down laughing every time.

      "the wife is always right."  Hmm...I must convey this to Ivanova for her
reaction the next time she pops out of my subcon
scious.

                                                                      jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *