JMS on CompuServe (Apr 16, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/4

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Wed Apr 17 02:18:04 EDT 1996

    Sb: #489094-<Cermonies of Lt&Drk>
    Sb: #489038-#<CoL&D thoughts>

 #: 487429 S5/Babylon 5: General
    13-Apr-96  15:10:31
Sb: #Babylon cereal
Fm: CHRIS CROUGHTON

Joe,

> What a very odd question.

OK, so what's the oddest question you've been asked?

> (I suspect that if I'd said Cap'n Crunch I'd've lost the respect of
> everyone in the group.)

No, just shown your age (anyone except me remember the "Phone Phreaking" with
Cap'n Crunch whistles?).

B5 season 3 starts here in 21 hours and 32 minutes!

Chris

 #: 488991 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:07
Sb: #487429-#Babylon cereal
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The oddest question I've ever been asked?

      "What do you do if you die before finishing the full B5 storyline?"

      Well...decompose, mainly....

                                                                       jms

   through the fan club. ]

 #: 488992 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:09
Sb: #487665-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't believe the book will be made available via the fan club, no.

    12-Apr-96  05:34:45
Sb: #>Severed Dreams/Kurosawa
Fm: RORY MCINTYRE

Joe--

One other thing I noticed when I rewatched SD last night.  I think it proves
what a fine job you're doing.  Specifically, in the scene where Corwin reports
4 more jump-points opening "right on top" of them, the look on Sheridan's face
says it all; "We've done all we can do, and now it's over."
What struck me is that, at that moment, I thought the same thing.  The strange
part is, I KNOW it's a TV show, and that the characters aren't about to get
arrested & taken away, but that scene had just the impact I imagine you
intended; you set it up so well, and it lasted just long enough, so that the
conditioning of years of "close shaves in TVLand" didn't kick in.  Any other
show and the first thought in my head would have been, "Well, here comes the
cavalry," since I know that, in TV land, no main character is ever really in
danger.  But you told the tale so well that I forgot I was watching a show, and
just saw the situation.

BTW, I think there's a widescreen LD of RAN available.  Maybe you'll have time
to check it out now that shooting's finished for the season.

One more question, actually.  Are you going to be doing a Sunday afternoon
session at Marcon in Columbus May 5th?  I hope so, as I can't make it to the
con on Saturday.

R.

 #: 488993 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:12
Sb: #486492-#>Severed Dreams/Kurosawa
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I haven't seen a Marcon schedule yet, so I dunno....

      And yes, because anything can happen to anyone around here, it makes this
kind of thing more interesting.

      I was thinking about this the other day, and realized just how much some
aspects of the show remind me of a role playing game; you set up the
parameters, you know where the story has to go, and you bring in some
characters.  Some will live, die, be hindered, succeed, fail, or go mad,
depending on how the players react to the situation.

                                                                        jms

 #: 488994 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:15
Sb: #488102-UK and budgets
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Matters of Honor was a good starting point, to get the story
moving again.  The next batch are somewhat stand-alones, just to get the new
folks up to speed with the show...but we pick up speed again soon enough.

                                                                      jms

 #: 488995 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:17
Sb: #486459-#There All Honor Lies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...and I'm always hoping for more moments of perfect beauty.

                                                                      jms

   without his consent/consult after the five year run. ]

 #: 488996 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:19
Sb: #486717-#B5 Postmortem
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Over my dead body.

    13-Apr-96  14:53:06
Sb: #Actor's Knowledge
Fm: THEO THOURSON

I have one quick question that's been bugging me for a few weeks.  If one of
the characters, let's say Delenn for no good reason, has a secret agenda, or is
a traitor to the rest of the crew, or something equally devious, does Mira know
about it?  In other words, do the actors know everything the characters know?

Best,
Theo Thourson

 #: 488998 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:24
Sb: #487407-Actor's Knowledge
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Sometimes yes, sometimes no.  Depends on whether I want them to play the
process or the result when leading up to that.

                                                                           jms

   the last Shadow war and suggests that WB should do a JMS biography. ]

 #: 488999 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:27
Sb: #487437-#JMS: Hmmm...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Earth's middle ages had really nothing much to do with the shadow war
or the shadows; we simply weren't very important.

      As for a bio of me...I can't *possibly* imagine anything less inherently
interesting.

                                                                 jms

 #: 489000 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:29
Sb: #487480-#Babylon screen saver
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  It's a great program; I have it on both my home and office
systems.

    13-Apr-96  18:34:44
Sb: #Salaries
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

Joe,

Now that the B5 Station crew has broken away from the Earth Alliance it's
obvious they won't be getting paid. <g> Oh sure, Sheridan, Ivanova, Garibaldi
and the Doc would likely endure that problem, but what about the lower echelon
members of the staff and crew? What are there thoughts on this, and have you
given this any thought yourself? I feel that this a pertinent point because
everyone staying on at the station no longer has any means of earning an
income, and salaries have been dealt with and been spoken about in past
episodes as well, so it's significant to some degree.

 #: 489001 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:31
Sb: #487548-#Salaries
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We'll establish in coming episodes that they have to become more self
sufficient; the Minbari will help some, others will also have a reason to help
support the station for the advantages it gives them, the services it provides,
and eventually docking fees will have to rise if they can make a go of it.

    13-Apr-96  22:28:50
Sb: #Talia and Ivanova
Fm: SHAWN TAYLER

Hi joe,

Just a thought.  Please correct me if I am mistaken.

I believe you've been quoted thet Talia and Susan had an affair.  I do recall
an exchange between Talia ans Susan where Talia alludes to what two telepaths
making love is like.  If this all is correct then we must assume that PsiCorp
is now aware of Susans latent telepathy.

Is this correct and will Bester try and make use of this in Ship of Tears?

Just curious.

Shawn (from the dark side of Planet OS/2)

 #: 489002 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:34
Sb: #487704-#Talia and Ivanova
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I would think that Talia would deliberately refrain from dipping; the
merging during sex really is a consentual affair.

                                                                      jms

   or "aired" order. ]

 #: 489003 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:36
Sb: #487765-Episode order?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Usually the episode airing order is right, with a couple of exceptions,
which I can't remember just now (sigh).

    14-Apr-96  14:30:01
Sb: #UK <Matters of Hono(u)r>
Fm: ARWEL PARRY

Well, I've just run through MOH for the 5th time tonight <g>. An excellent
start to the season I thought, (I've seen it before on an imported tape, but
it's so much more convenient seeing it in your own home in real-life PAL!). I
like the new title sequence, the new theme has just the right feel of impending
doom and foreboding - will Chris Franke be putting it on the new CD?

Sorry if I'm rehashing a US thread from months ago, but when Delenn says the
White Star (lovely ship, btw) can't _hurt_ the Shadow ship is she implying that
she knows it's organic, or is she anthropomorphising (minbaromorphising?)... or
is it just a figure of speech in the same way that when Sheridan "takes out" a
Centauri cruiser he's not taking it to a candlelit dinner or the movies? <g>

Marcus Cole looks like an interesting character, but from what he said about
how he and his brother joined the Rangers it seems as if their existence is
quite generally known, at least in some circles - how come EA and the Shadows'
agents haven't heard about them? Have the Shadows attacked many mining
colonies... and have ISN kept quiet about them? Hmm....

Thanks again for another entertaining programme - you keep saying you're
getting better all the time, but will any of your audience survive the tension
in season 5?!

Arwel Parry

 #: 489004 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:38
Sb: #488107-#UK <Matters of Hono(u)r>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, the B5 third year theme is an expanded version, somewhat
altered, of the "Requiem for the Line" piece, which is already on the current
CD.

    14-Apr-96  18:50:16
Sb: #TNT Syndication
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

Hiya Joe...

A question about the coming TNT syndication of B5...

I was rereading my copy of Phil Farrand's _Nitpicker's Guide to Classic Trek_
(ok, I'm a geek. <g>), and one of the things he "tracks" the the amount of cuts
made in each episode for syndication (so as to insert more commercials).  At
times, these cuts are sizable, and may even change the tenor of the scene.

I was wondering what kind of deal you guys made with TNT in this regard.  I
mean, when you have an ep like "Severed Dreams" which is fat-packed with big
drama, it'd be a *sin* to lose any of the story.

Nervously awaiting '98...

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome
"Spoon!"

 #: 489005 S5/Babylon 5: General
    15-Apr-96  20:44:40
Sb: #488271-#TNT Syndication
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I'd imagine that the rules for syndicated commercials and cable are about
the same; it's the jump from network to syndicated that leads to trouble.

                                                                   jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *           http://www.ailink.com           *