ATTN JMS: Question about writing

b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu
Thu Apr 18 06:19:16 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Question about writing
+  1: Apr 16, 1996: Heath! <NSFIT8322 at ALPHA.NSULA.EDU>
*  2: Apr 17, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: Heath! <NSFIT8322 at ALPHA.NSULA.EDU>

Date sent:  16-APR-1996 01:34:35

I've been following the thread about how you come up with your ideas
and such and I have another question relating to this topic.  When you
sit down to write an episode, what form is the initial draft?  Is it
in script format?  The reason I ask this, is because I've begun
writing short stories for a comic book, but I've found that when writing
the first draft, writing it in script format takes up too much time
and hinders the creative process of storytelling.  It's much easier for me
to write in short-story form, then convert it to a script format.  Do you
find this a similar problem or does the conversion from *story* to
*script* take place in your head?

"Sanity is a one trick pony.  I mean, all you get is the one trick: rational
thinking!  But when you're good and crazy, the sky's the limit!!" --The Tick
Heath Fitts         <*>           | nsfit8322 at alpha.nsula.edu
Northwestern State University     | http://www.nsula.edu/~nsfit8322/
Natchitoches, LA                  |
President:  Eclectic Comics, Inc. | http://www.nsula.edu/~nsfit8322/eclectic.htm

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

"When you sit down to write an episode, what form is the initial draft?
Is it
in script format?  The reason I ask this, is because I've begun writing
short stories for a comic book, but I've found that when writing the first
draft, writing it in script format takes up too much time and hinders the
creative process of storytelling.  It's much easier for me to write in
short-story form, then convert it to a script format.  Do you find this a
similar problem or does the conversion from *story* to
*script* take place in your head?"

It pretty much happens in my head.  When I sit down to write, I generally
have a good notion on where it's going, some notes on post-its, and from
my overall outline.  Then I just open up the script program Movie Master,
which provides the right margins for dialogue and narrative and the like,
and just start writng the actual script.  There's no interim level; I
think in script terms.