JMS on CompuServe (Apr 25, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Apr 25 15:33:48 EDT 1996

    Sb: #495209-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
    Sb: #495116-#A look Back...
    Sb: #495065-Melissa G. on B5?
    Sb: #495018-Query
    Sb: #495066-PATRICK MAGOOHAN
    Sb: #494852-#>>Late Delivery<<
    Sb: #495318-Renewal or not?
    Sb: #494797-Melissa Gilbert on B5
    Sb: #495173-#TV Guide Ad...
    Sb: #494951-Book Tours Status
    Sb: #495328-The Future of SF-TV
    Sb: #495346-Babylon 5 copied ST

 #: 495209 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  18:40:55
Sb: #494450-#B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: ASHA DEVELDER

Joe,

   Have you any idea of approximately how long it should take before we (the
applicants) recieve confirmation of our membership (and all the goodies)?

                         Asha
                     @}-`---,---

 #: 495333 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  22:18:41
Sb: #495209-B5 FAN CLUB INFO!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Shouldn't be long; we're still turning out some of the stuff for the
club, like the posters; give us a bit.

    24-Apr-96  16:15:36
Sb: #494020-#A look Back...
Fm: RANDALL A. SCHANZE

RE: Mimbari Androgyny/Hermaphroditism

Well.
I'm certainly sorry.  I have been misinformed. I read in a magazine article
about 3 years ago that they were intended that way. My mistake. I will
immediately cease and decist from telling people that they were. I apologize
for any annoyance or misdirection I've caused. Sorry.

(Of course from that mistaken presumption, and having read WAY too much LeGuin,
when Delenn mentioned that her homeworld was rather cold, it was a quick jump
to assume you were making an hommage to the world "Winter".  That one, I'm
afraid, was ENTIRELY my fault, and I aplolgize for that one too.)

Uh...
Sorry.
On a tangental note, it's simultaneously cool and creepy to have you looking in
on conversations like this <G>. On the one hand, it's nice to have one's
misconceptions politely and authoritatively corrected by an irrefutable
source.. OTOH, it's sorta' wierd to make idle conversation and be held
accountable by said irrefutable source.  Thank you, though. I appreciate the
interest you're showing in all of us fans!

Admiral Randy
Zeitgeist Boy

 #: 495334 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  22:18:42
Sb: #495116-#A look Back...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nothing to apologize for; wasn't annoyed.  It's just that I've seen this
misperception a lot lately, and finally just decided, "Okay, let's straighten
this out once and for all."  Any vehemence was intended for the subject, not
the poster.

                                                                       jms

 #: 495335 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  22:18:44
Sb: #495065-Melissa G. on B5?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It'll be toward the latter end of the season; haven't gotten a final
schedule yet from WB.

                                                                        jms

 #: 495336 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  22:18:46
Sb: #495018-Query
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know

      and

      To finish this story.

                                                                      jms

   get him on Babylon 5. ]

 #: 495337 S5/Babylon 5: General
    24-Apr-96  22:18:51
Sb: #495066-PATRICK MAGOOHAN
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I don't know what he's doing these days, though happily Braveheart seems
to have brought him out of retirement.  He's simply one of the best actors I've
ever seen.

      We'd approached him in year one with a part, and things seemed to be
going well, until we were told he would be out of the country, which nixed it.
We'll get him yet.

                                                                   jms

 #: 494852 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    24-Apr-96  07:53:17
Sb: #494447-#>>Late Delivery<<
Fm: BRUNO  MELANCON

There was a promo at the end of 'A Late Delivery..'.

<SPOILER>
Joe, I remember you said a while ago that Michael York offered a great
performance. I absolutely agree with you! Many times (especially with the old
woman), I really thought he could be King Arthur. When you think of the
similarities with Jack, your mind is open to the possibility and the story
becomes so plausible, you enjoy it more. Even though it wasn't true, the
connection Camelot-Minbari War was very well done.

I didn't really understand your decision to put him in the Narn resistance,
however. I don't know if he can be as helpful as he thinks. After all, he is
King of the Britons!

Andorian

Bring on Bester!

 #: 495338 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    24-Apr-96  22:18:52
Sb: #494852-#>>Late Delivery<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  Yeah, because we've played back and forth with this stuff
before, a la the Inquisitor, it *could've* been him, which made it all the more
interesting.  Certainly Marcus *wanted* it to be him....

                                                                     jms

   gives general support to JMS. ]

 #: 495339 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    24-Apr-96  22:18:53
Sb: #495318-Renewal or not?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Wow, thanks for all of that, and for the letter(s).  They'll be eminently
helpful.  The hard work is much appreciated.

                                                                       jms

 #: 494797 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    24-Apr-96  05:18:53
Sb: #Melissa Gilbert on B5
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
     Entertainment Tonight has stated that Melissa Gilbert will be on an
upcoming B5 episode.  Laurie wants to know if she will play one of Londo's
wives or perhaps Susan's long lost sister.

                                                        Shane

 #: 495340 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    24-Apr-96  22:18:56
Sb: #494797-Melissa Gilbert on B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Wait and see...

                                                              jms

   the new B5 uniforms black). ]

 #: 495378 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  01:05:35
Sb: #495173-#TV Guide Ad...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's a certain perverseness in making those on the side of light wear
black uniforms.  It reverses our expectations.

                                                                      jms

   Night," and "Othersyde" are currently located on a round-the-world tour. ]

 #: 495380 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  01:05:37
Sb: #494951-Book Tours Status
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      ...sigh...I just wish they were better books....

    24-Apr-96  22:11:50
Sb: #493127-#The Future of SF-TV
Fm: BILL HIRST

It's not production techinques that make the show, it's writing. Without
writing, what you get is high budget mind candy nobody will remember a week
later. With writing, you get shows like "The City On The Edge Of Forever."
We're still talking about that one 3 decades later.

Heal fast, Harlan. There are too few writers around who are worth a damn.

   ---

And now we have another author nominated for an award to put on the
mantlepiece.  Congrats, Joe, and very well deserved.

 #: 495381 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  01:07:59
Sb: #495328-The Future of SF-TV
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...from your mouth to Hugo's ears....

                                                                      jms

   Star Trek was copied by Babylon 5 much more successfully than the later
   Star Trek type creations did." ]

 #: 495382 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  01:16:29
Sb: #495346-Babylon 5 copied ST
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The only problem with your theory is that there was never, ever, at any
time, any notion of copying Star Trek, and that perception tends to exist only
in those who don't generally know the full, rich background of SF.  This show
owes more conceptually to historical themes, and the kinds of sagas that come
down to us in the Lensman books, Childhood's End, the Foundation books, Dune
and others than any TV show, including and especially Star Trek.

      The only similarity between ST and B5 is that they are both in the
future, and both set in space.  That's it.  Are you also willing to state that
every SF novel set in the future, in space, is *also* copying Star Trek?
Including those published before there ever WAS a Star Trek?  And of course
let's not even get INTO the Forbidden Planet question.

      While I appreciate the *sentiment* of your note, I would commend to you
your local library, and the works of Heinlein, Clark, Asimov, Sturgeon,
Bradbury, Lovecraft, Dunsany, Russell, Smith and others.  Your points of
reference may need some measure of enlargement.