JMS on CompuServe (Apr 26, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri Apr 26 19:11:54 EDT 1996

    Sb: #495413-Franklin's Dad
    Sb: #495521->>Late Delivery<<
    Sb: #495577-Episode Order
    Sb: #495596-Book Tours Status
    Sb: #495657-Book Tours Status
    Sb: #495659-PATRICK MAGOOHAN
    Sb: #495684-Melissa Gilbert on B5
    Sb: #495782-<Late Delivery>
    Sb: #495852-Newspaper Article

   to believe Dr. Franklin wouldn't be worried about him or even mention
   him given what's been going on. ]

 #: 495624 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  13:42:27
Sb: #495413-Franklin's Dad
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  I'm looking to find a way to bring Franklin's father back into
the storyline now, to help resolve this.  (Note: no suggestions, please.)  I
think he would tend to fall on the other side, and it'd be good to show that
some people may think that yes, there's a problem, but you solve that problem
from within, not by breaking away.  Could make for some nice drama....

                                                                       jms

 #: 495521 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Apr-96  08:52:17
Sb: #495338-#>>Late Delivery<<
Fm: ERIC BENSON

Joe,

  Thankyou for an exceptional episode.  I must admit that I got a bit
misty-eyed during the sceen with Delenn and Arthur.  A simple character piece,
stand-alone episode which is more emotional and uplifting than most shows ever
produced.

  I too am wondering who is going to be Morganna LaFaye.  I have my suspisions;
they relate to one of those comets you saw during your conference....

  Something else struck me as exceptional.  Your choice of titles for the
character piece episodes is very multidimensional.  I am impressed.

  Thanks again,

^^^^ Eric, Techno-Mage Apprentice
Minister of Production and Armaments
RMES - Our little birdies are everywhere.

 #: 495625 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Apr-96  13:42:29
Sb: #495521->>Late Delivery<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  Yes, the Delenn/Arthur moment played out very well; no lines,
not a word, just the images, and the emotions under the surface.

       And thanks on the titles.  I often labor a long time on these things, to
try and give them many layers, or turn the title in on itself, or do a play on
words.  I can't start work on a script until I have a title, because the title
sets the mood.

    25-Apr-96  11:40:54
Sb: #Episode Order
Fm: DARRAN WILLIAMS

Hello Joe,

According to an Episode guide in TV Zone magazine (UK) for season 3, the 'ideal
order' has 'Voices of Authority' preceeding 'Passing Through Gethsemane'
although they were shown in reverse order in the US. Is this your 'ideal order'
and if so do you have much say in the order that the series is broadcast
outside of the US. TV listings for the UK in May show Passing first then
Voices...(same as US).

Thanks in advance.
Darran.

 #: 495627 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  13:42:33
Sb: #495577-Episode Order
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, that would've been the ideal order *in that* it would've let the
first batch of eps here in the US end on an arc episode, and wouldn't have let
that thread sit for quite so long.  But we needed the extra time to make the
EFX right.

    25-Apr-96  12:19:34
Sb: #495380-#Book Tours Status
Fm: JEFF FRANK

>> ...sigh...I just wish they were better books....

I thoroughly enjoyed Demon Night.  It kept me hooked and told a good story.
That's all I ask of a book (well, that and that it be written in English).

I found it much more enjoyable than anything I've read by Clive Barker and
equal to the best of Steven King's stuff. (that's not an insult! <g>)

Jeff
Dictator of Michigan and the Great Lakes Region
Auditor General
Inquisitor-In-Training - Enforcement Division
Fear RMES! - Everywhere for *your* convenience

 #: 495628 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  13:42:35
Sb: #495596-Book Tours Status
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  I guess I'm just kinda hard on my own stuff.  DN was the first
novel I'd ever written, and it was a learning experience.  I came out of it
better able to do the next one, and there are any number of ways I'd go back
and improve the first book.  Ah, well...as someone once noted, "Art is never
finished, only abandoned."

                                                                       jms

   the school bullies in Othersyde, because, as she said, "They were scary
   because they sounded like they might actually exist!" ]

 #: 495718 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  16:45:43
Sb: #495657-Book Tours Status
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks.  Actually, there's far more bio in OtherSyde than probably
should've been there....

                                                                       jms

   "Macgoohan" was dropped or re-cast when he couldn't make it. ]

 #: 495719 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Apr-96  16:45:44
Sb: #495659-PATRICK MAGOOHAN
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, the part went to someone else.

                                                                       jms

 #: 495720 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Apr-96  16:45:45
Sb: #495684-Melissa Gilbert on B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, you'll be seeing Theo again later this season in "And the Rock
Cried Out, No Hiding Place."

                                                                       jms

 #: 495782 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Apr-96  19:04:50
Sb: #<Late Delivery>
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

     Just finished watching "A Late Delivery From Avalon" for the second time
last night, and had to tell you that this episode was terrific.  I love Michael
York's acting, and he did a fine job as "Arthur" in this one, even if I
suspected from the start that he wasn't who he said he was.  I rather enjoyed
the sub-plot involving the business of how to keep B5 running and support it,
and the post office story with Garibaldi and his package was nicely handled,
too.
"ALDFA" was a plot that was not really connected to the story arc, or so it
seemed, but by the end of the story, had some very neat ties to the main story
arc and the Earth-Minbari War.

      But that raises a question here...  In "Avalon," we learn that one of the
days during the episode was the 15th anniversary of the day that the Prometheus
fired on the Minbari warship carrying Dukat; ;since it is 2260, that means the
event occurred some time in 2245.  (Btw, is there any chance that we can get a
date, as in month and day, for this event?)  Is it safe to say that the actual
E-M war started within the same year, or did it start a year later?  (The
reason I'm asking is that I've got this huge timeline that I'm using to keep
track of things, and want to get this point straight.  Anything you can add to
this would be of tremendous help.)  Are we actually likely to learn more about
the circumstances surrounding the Prometheus's attack on the Minbari ship and
all?  We still don't know who the captain of the Prometheus was, let alone in
what area of space the incident occurred, among other things.

      Thanks for your assistance on this, and for doing an episode like "A Late
Delivery From Avalon."  While it's terrific to have stories of the arc,
episodes like this one are a sheer delight to watch and remind one of how good
a writer you are. :)

        jmk

 #: 495940 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-Apr-96  22:17:28
Sb: #495782-<Late Delivery>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The contact was made late in the year, and while that was the first blow,
it takes a while for any war to really get going; you aren't at war instantly.
The Minbari had to pull their forces together, make the open declaration of
war, establish supply lines and all the other elements needed for warfare.

    25-Apr-96  19:38:08
Sb: #Newspaper Article
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

I caught this in the television section of the Denver Post.

". . . chanllenging story line consistently concerning itself with shifting
moralities and value judgements and subtle shadings between black and white.
Characters and theories initially cast in oppositional roles evolved into
collaborators and back into opponents.  Our ideas about heroes and villians
kept morphing."

". . . the prolonged tale was about the sometimes indistinguishable line
between good and evil, the murky differences between winning and losing.  Who
is rightous and who is just egotistical?"

"Heavy stuff for television.  And that brings us to the second lesson learned:
Audiences must be nurtured if they are to grasp a long and difficult story
line."

". . . did a disservice by inconsitent scheduling of the series."

"Clearly, there's no accounting for taste.  People use television to stop
thinking rather than to engage, they choose programs that won't distract from
the ironing."

". . . appealed to the sort of person who doesn't turn to the last page first.
Unfortunately, these days it's tough to find readers at all, even tougher to
draw them to television for a satisfying television experience."

Now, don't get all worried about the past tense used, we're not talking B5
here.  But only the past tense and constant reminders that it was "Murder One"
kept me from thinking so.  I wonder if this critic has watched and enjoyed B5?

Sin wreak`oar Mistie, Montie, Jordanite and PITAS
Emperor of SPAMM
Kidism Patrol; Recruitment Division, and Spoiler Police

 #: 495959 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-96  00:14:11
Sb: #495852-Newspaper Article
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Could you possibly send me a copy of that review?  I'd appreciate it. You
can send it along to me at the following address:

      14431 Ventura Boulevard, Suite 260, Sherman Oaks, CA 91423

      Thanks!