JMS on CompuServe (Apr 27, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Sun Apr 28 00:49:42 EDT 1996

    Sb: #496184-#PATRICK MAGOOHAN
    Sb: #496052-Babylon 5 copied ST
    Sb: #496015-Demon with a Glass Hand
    Sb: #496323-#<A Late Delivery...>
    Sb: #496487-Franklin's Dad

 #: 496312 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-96  21:07:26
Sb: #496184-#PATRICK MAGOOHAN
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It would've been Knight Two in "Sky."

    26-Apr-96  09:33:40
Sb: #495382-#Babylon 5 copied ST
Fm: AL LIPSCOMB

My current greatest regret is that I missed the first season of B5. In looking
at season two and three (two having writters other than yourself) I would say
that B5 has two great advantages over any of the ST series:

1) A goal. This makes the series feel like a future history. It moves, yet its
course is set by actions of the past. Even the non-arc stories have a limited
placement (for example Avalon would not have worked in season one).

2) Limited life. This places a dynamic preasure on the story teller. The cost
of production is no longer the primary consideration (although it is of course
a limitation) but rather how to get the story told in the time allowed.

I would hope that in the future you will consider doing another such work for
TV. If it was in the B5 universe that would be OK, but new things are of course
welcome.  In the total of all the ST series I cannot think of one show that had
the meat of  "Avalon". While some shows have had their moments in ST, I have
never seen such a gripping work. It is good to see that your reading of the
clasics has taught you something about the meaning of honor. I also hope that
Mr. Yorks breathing life into your Author will teach a few others the meaning
of that nearly lost virtue.

 #: 496313 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-96  21:07:28
Sb: #496052-Babylon 5 copied ST
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and I agree with all your points.  And yes, it's a lesson or a
point of view worth examining, these days in particular.

    26-Apr-96  05:42:08
Sb: #Demon with a Glass Hand
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
        I know how busy both you and Harlan are, and I know that Harlan's main
job right now is to get well, but do you think that Trent will ever set foot on
B5?

                                Shane

 #: 496314 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Apr-96  21:07:29
Sb: #496015-Demon with a Glass Hand
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Dunno...we'll see.

                                                                  jms

 #: 496354 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    27-Apr-96  01:55:55
Sb: #496323-#<A Late Delivery...>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Ended up at A. Sabella's over by the Embarcadero...great place.

    27-Apr-96  09:25:58
Sb: #495624-#Franklin's Dad
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>  Thanks.  I'm looking to find a way to bring Franklin's father back into the
storyline now, to help resolve this.

What is B5's status vis-a-vis people coming and going there from Earth? If I
wanted to go from Earth to B5 what would I have to do? Vise-versa, if I wanted
to go home to Earth (after the deportations were over) could I get a direct
fliight and how would I be received?

Phil ^^^^
FREE EARTH!

 #: 496644 S5/Babylon 5: General
    27-Apr-96  15:16:20
Sb: #496487-Franklin's Dad
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It's very difficult now; you have to go through secondary routes, and
travel papers take forever to get processed.

      We'll actually mention this aspect later in the season.