JMS on CompuServe (Aug 01, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Aug 1 22:34:39 EDT 1996

    Sb: #550377-B5 Tech & Other Stuff
    Sb: #550398-<IaE in UK>
    Sb: #550612-Old SciFi series
    Sb: #550627-<IaE in UK>
    Sb: #551054-Eng Lit & B5
    Sb: #551055-Kosh & Sinclair/pilot
    Sb: #551165-Old Archives

 #: 550377 S5/Babylon 5: General
    31-Jul-96  08:28:39
Sb: #B5 Tech & Other Stuff
Fm: JONATHAN HOOPINGARN

A couple of (hopefully) quick questions:

        Being a scientist my curiosity has gotten the better of me and I've
been trying to figure some of the parameters of the B5 station.

        Is 1G maintained at the interior surface or the last  level (Down
Below?) just inside the skin?

        How many levels are there between the outer hull and the inner surface
(I'm trying to figure the change in "gravity" from level to level)?

        What's the radius of the main cylinder?

        By the way, had you read Gerard K O'Neill's work on space habitats?

I ask you only because I can't seem to find details anywhere else on the 'net
or published.

 #: 550743 S5/Babylon 5: General
    31-Jul-96  18:18:13
Sb: #550377-B5 Tech & Other Stuff
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I don't have the specs onhand, but basically you've got a smidge under
1g in the inner levels, working out until you've got a smidge over 1g in the
areas closest to the hull.  This helps with alien requirements in living
quarters in those areas.

                                                                       jms

   and ensure themselves an easy victory? ]

 #: 550744 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-Jul-96  18:18:14
Sb: #550398-<IaE in UK>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       A good question, which we'll answer in the last episode of this season.

                                                                       jms

 #: 550745 S5/Babylon 5: General
    31-Jul-96  18:18:15
Sb: #550612-Old SciFi series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I know, but I can't tell you.

                                                       the new number 2

   "childish gods cleaning house." ]

 #: 550746 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    31-Jul-96  18:18:17
Sb: #550627-<IaE in UK>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, I wouldn't say childish gods...that's too easy.  It has to be a bit
more than that.

       But good thoughts nonetheless.

    01-Aug-96  00:43:18
Sb: #Eng Lit & B5
Fm: SUSAN PEAK

Hello,

I have just tracked down the Yeats poem, Second Coming (and what an apt title!)
used early in series 2 ('mere anarchy is loosed upon the world') & referred to
by G'Kar. I am curious to know what else is your favourite poetry/literature?
(We have had Tennyson's Ulysses and, more recently, Poe.)

I am not curious from the point of view of B5 - certainly not if any particular
poem or book is used in episodes to come! - but I am interested to know what
else it is you like, or has influenced you? Very grateful for any answer you
can give.

susan.

 #: 551339 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  12:12:02
Sb: #551054-Eng Lit & B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       My interest in poetry is fairly eclectic, and eccentric.  I go from the
classics to the obscure, but I'm not *really* as informed about poetry as I
should be.  My favorite stuff comes from the Shelley/Byron period of English
literature.  Tennyson is also obviously a favorite.  Coleridge.  But then I
jump right over into e.e. cummings and Lawrence Ferlinghetti (no, I never
really recovered from beat poetry, some of it still works for me).  I tend to
go for the more structured poetry; free verse is okay to a point, but often
gets misused or used as an excuse for sloppy writing.

                            jm(look upon my works ye mighty and despair)s

   Sinclair in the pilot.  Wonders how, if, as JMS has said recently, the
   Vorlons didn't know Sinclair was Valen, this could be? [Have you ever read
   a more convoluted English sentence? :-)] ]

 #: 551340 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  12:12:05
Sb: #551055-Kosh & Sinclair/pilot
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, you're correct...but he could only recognize him once he actually
saw him, and that didn't happen until he arrived at B5, after which he wasn't
in any condition to talk to anyone until after things were over.

                                                                       jms

   given their level of technology at the time. ]

 #: 551341 S5/Babylon 5: General
    01-Aug-96  12:12:06
Sb: #551165-Old Archives
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It was also a very devastating war, and one of their mistakes was that
their were those who were entrusted to keep the past, sort of a more advanced
version of storytellers, who put all their data in one basket, as it
were...very possessive and jurisdictional.  When they and that center of data
were taken out, a lot was lost.  One drawback of a very rigid and structued
society.