JMS on CompuServe (Aug 22, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Aug 22 13:52:25 EDT 1996

    Sb: #564283-Snow White
    Sb: #564074-Fan Club Site
    Sb: #564114-Christianity in Babylon5
    Sb: #564341-Christianity in Babylon5
    Sb: #564072-The Rim anyone ?
    Sb: #564227-Voltayre WWW Page
    Sb: #564446-#Patricia Tallman
    Sb: #564270-Snow White

 #: 564283 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  13:07:35
Sb: #563512-#Snow White
Fm: JACQUELINE GROOM

Joe,

<< ... when you look back at ANYdamnthing you wrote at 18 the impulse is
   to shriek and run away.>>

   So what will you think of B5 the same distance into the future? Do you
   look forward to changing as much in the future as you have already?
   Will you still be proud of your fantastic achievement or will you be
   posting 'dont.you.dare' messages again?

   And were you satisfied with Snow White when you were 18?

   I'm being very nosy so I don't expect an answer if you don't feel like it.

   Jaq

 #: 564579 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:23
Sb: #564283-Snow White
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      At 18 I was trying to get the hang of my craft.  I knew some stuff, but
not a lot.  I'm a little closer to that goal now, though there's still a long
road ahead of me.  B5 is something I'm proud of now, and will be in future.

                                                                    jms

   the new Netscape 3.0. ]

 #: 564580 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:26
Sb: #564074-Fan Club Site
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Should work with Netscape 3.0 no problem.  And thanks.  We do want it to
be cool...once it's fully operational, with all the final parts and pieces
added in, it should be nifty indeed.

    21-Aug-96  07:18:29
Sb: #563995-#Christianity in Babylon5
Fm: ROB CARR

>> One doesn't have to believe in the existence of something to write about it
effectively. <<

Yeah, but how come you do so much better a job than those that do?  I'm not
criticizing you, it was intended as a compliment.

>> there aren't really Minbari or Vorlons, y'know... <<

There...there AREN'T?  You mean, B5 isn't real life?  Gack urgle <<thump>>

<g>

Rob

(I've got a life...actually, my problem is I've got too much of a life!)

 #: 564581 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:28
Sb: #564114-Christianity in Babylon5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Never took it *as* criticism....

      To the question of why more folks don't do it, or as much or "as well"
(the last in that list being subjective and self-serving for me to repeat), I
think a large part of the problem may be that very often, if you deal with
religion in TV, ten gazillion pressure groups from either side of the political
spectrum jump up and down on your head until it's reduced to guava jelly.  So
folks get very tentative about the area.

      Me, I've been on computer nets for 12 years, I'm used to people jumping
up on down on my head until it turns into guava jelly...no big.

                                                                    jms

 #: 564582 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:32
Sb: #564341-Christianity in Babylon5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I commend C.S. Lewis to you as a writer first, and a theologian second.
As a writer, he does some nifty stuff...the Screwtape Letters alone is worth
his having walked among us.  The Perelandra (sp?) books...are okay, but a bit
dry sometimes.  His strength was in more fantasy than SF.  As a theological
writer, he had a tendency to set up straw man arguments a bit too often and too
easily for my tastes, but he's certainly worth the read.

                                                                    jms

   implications. ]

 #: 564584 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:38
Sb: #564072-The Rim anyone ?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the events take place only in our own galaxy, and only in portions of
that...it's just too big a place.

    21-Aug-96  10:59:53
Sb: #Voltayre WWW Page
Fm: RICHARD WAKEFIELD

Joe,

Have you visited "Encyclopedia Xenobiologica" (B5 page) on the World Wide Web ?
WWW URL : http://ccwf.cc.utexas.edu/~atropos/Voltayre/ex1.html
In the appendix of that page it has two maps showing the galaxy with the
various empires, republics, etc, etc and their territories. Would you consider
it to be accurate ?

Also the Galactic rim is 20,000 lightyears distant, it would take 5-7 years to
get there at the rate that EA ships go to and from Earth to Babylon 5... And
isn't Zha'dum on the rim, and it seems only days away.

Richard, UK

 #: 564585 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:39
Sb: #564227-Voltayre WWW Page
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Dunno, I haven't seen it...will investigate.

    21-Aug-96  16:44:56
Sb: #Patricia Tallman
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

It's funny how the mind works.
                        My mind anyway.
                                        I just got through reading the online
chat with Pat over on AOL, which dates back to March 24th, and it was amazing
how I suddenly remembered her from that awful remake of "Night of the Living
Dead". I had seen it in the theater during the time of its initial release, but
I never put two and two together and realized that Lyta was also the chick who
makes it out alive in the remake, whereas the blonde hadn't in the original.
Nevertheless, it all came rushing back to me in a flash, short hair, pistol
carrying kick-butt babe that she was in the film and all. Of course, I never
had a problem remembering Tony Todd after seeing that clinker of a remake. But
I digress here(what else is new I suppose).
        What I'm really interested in knowing is whether or not Patricia will
be added as a *regular* member of the cast this season as opposed to being a
recurring. She's kind of grown on me, and I could tell from reading the
transcript of the conference that you really like her. March was so long ago,
and I was wondering if things had at all changed since then. What's the
deal?(if I can be so bold)

 #: 564586 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:09:42
Sb: #564446-#Patricia Tallman
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, she's in the main title sequence with all the other cast members
starting next season, how's that?

                                                                    jms

   future con responds to another user who's jokingly upset by JMS'
   negative attitude about the idea with, "But he's considering
   letting me live :-)"

   Note: I'm getting *real* close to that "longest valid English sentence"
   award.  I'll get there some day. -- BB ]

 #: 564593 S5/Babylon 5: General
    21-Aug-96  21:23:28
Sb: #564270-Snow White
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI