JMS on CompuServe (Dec 17, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue Dec 17 16:29:01 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/
  ######       Support Babylon 5!       ######
  ##      To get a fifth season of this ##
   # ###    wonderful epic, we need to   # ###
     . ## let local stations and Warner    . ##
  ##   ##   Brothers know we want it!   ##   ##
   #####   www.babylon5.com/cmp/support  #####

    Sb: #626592-Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
    Sb: #626623-#"Oh, Joe . . ."
    Sb: #626630-ISP in 818 Area Code
    Sb: #626765-Londo & Morden<Hotw>
    Sb: #627018-Walkabout Shuffle
    Sb: #627068-Hyperspace/Jump Gate
    Sb: #627146-Spinoff arc?
    Sb: #627034-Vorlon Question
    Sb: #627094-Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
    Sb: #627345-B5 T-Shirts
    Sb: #627345-B5 T-Shirts

 #: 626592 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    15-Dec-96  17:59:27
Sb: #Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

        Joe, in a recent article in Starlog, Peter Jurasik made a couple of
references to Refa having killed Adira.  Does Peter not know that it was really
Morden?  Is he practicing the Jerry Doyle method of script-reading, (if I'm not
in the scene, I don't want to/have to know about it<g>), or did he mean that
_Londo_ believed that Refa killed Adira, and the writer of the article just got
it wrong?

Mara

 #: 626860 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    16-Dec-96  12:04:51
Sb: #626592-Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That is what Londo thinks, and that's what Peter repeated.  Londo
doesn't yet know anything to the contrary.

    15-Dec-96  20:06:46
Sb: #626542-#"Oh, Joe . . ."
Fm: PENNY J. LEGNER

>>There's fire and steel in *use*, and fire and steel waiting to be called
upon... <<

And yet again a gorgeous word picture ...  And people wonder why this show is
so fantastic?  <amazed>

Penny

 #: 626861 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    16-Dec-96  12:04:52
Sb: #626623-#"Oh, Joe . . ."
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thank yu...I tri to rite gud....

    15-Dec-96  20:21:35
Sb: #ISP in 818 Area Code
Fm: DOUGLAS PILIGIAN

Joe,

Point your browser to:

http://thelist.iworld.com/areacode.818.html

This will provide you with a detailed list of ISP's in your area.  Includes
ISDN providers and rates.  Hope you find it helpful.

Doug

 #: 626862 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Dec-96  12:04:53
Sb: #626630-ISP in 818 Area Code
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Cool...thanks.

    16-Dec-96  06:04:47
Sb: #Londo & Morden<Hotw>
Fm: ALAN MULVIE

Hi Joe,

I've only seen up to Whatever Happened to Mr Garibaldi, but that's good for the
UK :-)

I've got a little question.

Back in War Without End you stated that Londo's keeper was a Minion of the
Shadows.  Would that minion have a name?  Would that Minion be Morden?

It's just that Morden speaks about the fact that he is ill but he will be
better soon.  he also mentions something about flesh.  Does better mean that he
will be dead and outside the confines of his flesh?

Also one other thing.

If you preffer being called Joe, why do your books and shows list you as J.
Michael instead of Joe?

Mlv

 #: 626863 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    16-Dec-96  12:04:54
Sb: #626765-Londo & Morden<Hotw>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, it ain't Morden.

       And J. Michael looks better on a screen, mainly.

    16-Dec-96  17:35:53
Sb: #Walkabout Shuffle
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

    As I was copying a few episodes for a friend this weekend, I noticed
something that had me curious when I first saw it a few months ago.  When I
first saw "Walkabout," it felt somehow "wrong" to me.  I think I know why now;
It feels out of sequence.

    Nowhere in the episode is there reference to the incredibly momentous
events which happened in just the previous episode, "War Without End."  But in
the next episode, "Grey 17 Is Missing," we *do* get references to the events of
WWE.

    Furthermore, the allusions we do get in "Walkabout" are all to the events
in "Interludes and Examinations," which took place just prior to WWE.  (Such as
the arrival of the new Vorlon ambassador.)

    Therefore, my question, considering how you probably had to work to get all
three of the "Babylon Squared" stars back at the same time for WWE, is: Was
"Walkabout" originally intended to take place before the events in "War Without
End"?

    I just find it remarkable that the main players could carry on as they did
in "Walkabout" without mention of the events in WWE.  And that the start of G17
*does* mention those events, causes me to wonder if G17, and not "Walkabout,"
was originally planned to take place just after WWE.

    In fact, since I originally recorded WWE on a single tape to keep that
story together, I ended up putting "Walkabout" at the end of the tape that
contained I&E.  And when I watch them today, in that order (I&E, "Walkabout,"
WWE, G17), it flows together so darned well, I'd be surprised if that wasn't
how you originally intended them to play out.

Thanks,

  -- Brent

 #: 627021 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Dec-96  17:49:11
Sb: #627018-Walkabout Shuffle
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Correct.  Initially we'd wanted to put Walkabout in first, but that
would have meant airing only WWE1 in that sweeps period, and having to wait
until the fall for part 2, which seemed not only excessive but remarkably
stupid.  So we reversed the shooting/airing order to accommodate that, and the
fact that we knew we'd need a LOT of EFX in WWE1, and this would give us time
to do it properly.

    16-Dec-96  19:08:13
Sb: #Hyperspace/Jump Gate
Fm: EDWIN CHAN

JMS, I bet this question has been asked a Million time, but here it goes again

How does Hyperspace / Jump Gate technology work?  Does it create a bend in the
space and time continuum where they (ships) can travel faster than light?
Please explain the details of it.

thanks in advance,
ec in nyc

 #: 627172 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Dec-96  22:37:18
Sb: #627068-Hyperspace/Jump Gate
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It opens a way to hyperspace, which does not have a 1-1 corrolation to
our own space, allowing us to subvert the limitation of light speed.

    16-Dec-96  21:10:09
Sb: #Spinoff arc?
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

If the spinoff deal goes through, would it have an arc like the original, or
have you even planned for that eventuality yet?

Earthstar - so many strategy games, so little time.
"Once again, a knife-wielding maniac has shown us the truth."
Babbler, KP, SP, Montie, SPAMM, etc.

 #: 627173 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-Dec-96  22:37:19
Sb: #627146-Spinoff arc?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It would have an arc, yes, but not as rigorous as the one in B5; I've
kind of done that now, and would like to try something different...I don't like
to try and walk in the same stream twice, to borrow a metaphor from Greek
philosophy.

    16-Dec-96  18:06:56
Sb: #626311-#Vorlon Question
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

So the Shadows are Organic?

--Scott

 #: 627174 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    16-Dec-96  22:37:22
Sb: #627034-Vorlon Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, yeah, they're a life form, therefore they're organic.

    16-Dec-96  20:29:08
Sb: #626860-#Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
Fm: MARA K. MALOVANY

>>That is what Londo thinks, and that's what Peter repeated. <<
        Oh, I know it's what Londo thinks, but the way it was phrased in the
interview, well, for example: "What he[Refa] does do is a lateral move, and who
does he attack but the private Londo through Adira."  It just didn't sound like
he was talking about how Londo viewed things, so I wondered if Peter just
skimmed that part of the script because he wanted to learn his scenes.<g>

Mara

 #: 627175 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    16-Dec-96  22:37:24
Sb: #627094-Londo&Refa-Starlog artcl
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The ways of actors are mysterious and transcend all understanding....

                                                                    jms

   has a picture of the station and red letters underneath that say,
   "The last, best hope... Babylon 5." ]

 #: 627361 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Dec-96  11:45:57
Sb: #627345-B5 T-Shirts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Ah, the shirt you describe is from All-U.  I posted the number here for
the company a while ago, but don't have it at hand.  I'll try to dig it up, but
in the interim, if some friendly person happens to have it nearby, and posts
it, that would save you some time.

    17-Dec-96  11:45:58
Sb: #627345-B5 T-Shirts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       You can also try the Lurker's Guide (www.hyperion.com) which has a link
to Uncommyn Gifts, which carries that stuff.