ATTN JMS: Why Marcus?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Mon Jul 1 06:20:32 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Why Marcus?
+  1: Jun 30, 1996: faa35 at dial.pipex.com (Jeannette Simpson)
*  2: Jul  1, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: faa35 at dial.pipex.com (Jeannette Simpson)

I've recently been receiving some email correspondence regarding
Marcus. I thought I'd ask a question here so that everyone can benefit
from the answer (if you choose to give one.)

A few people are wondering why the character of Marcus Cole was
introduced into the B5 story.

1) Had you always intended introducing this character and at the
particular point that you did? Or was it a question of realising that
such a character was necessary due to the path the story was taking
and the unforeseen changes in cast which had occurred?

2) Although there has been some nice character development of Marcus,
it still isn't clear to a lot of people just what he's there for; his
contribution to plot development is not seen to be in keeping with the
fairly  high profile that he is being given.

Would you enlighten everyone as to why Marcus was introduced and
perhaps use this as an opportunity to explain how, in terms of
writing, a new character comes into being. For example, because you
have a sudden realization that an established character needs a foil
to play against.

Jeannette

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

Real simple.  The Rangers come more to the foreground in the last part of
the story.  You can't have The Rangers as an amorphous, faceless group;
you need to make it personalized.  So there was *always* a Ranger at this
point in the story, a necessary part of it.  The became Marcus.