JMS on CompuServe (Jul 10, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Wed Jul 10 17:14:36 EDT 1996

    Sb: #537033-#J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
    Sb: #537093-#Fan Club
    Sb: #537136-#Fan Club Mailing
    Sb: #537206-#<Last Episode Name>
    Sb: #537021-#B5 Fan Club Kit!
    Sb: #537091-Universe Today + website
    Sb: #537485-#J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
    Sb: #Just Our Luck

 #: 537033 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  01:32:21
Sb: #J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

A quick note to those of you who couldn't make it to the San Diego
International Comic Book Convention:  Joe did it again!

For 2000+ BABYLON 5 fans, the ninty minute presentation passed as if it were
only nine minutes.  Christopher Franke's music provided the backdrop for a well
executed music video that is best described as poignant.  Then Joe provided
information, clips, and comedy.  Due to Warner Brothers Legal Dept. concern
over the growing audiences and their fear of Unions complaining about the
showing of entire episodes, Joe was forced to show only clips.  Despite the
restrictions, Joe kept the crowd entertained.  Oh yeah, and Jerry Doyle dropped
by after his CAPTAIN SIMIAN presentation.  Jerry and Joe bantered
back-and-forth, dropping hints about Claudia Christians' French adult album as
Valkyrie. I still haven't decided if they were just putting us on or not.

Shane

 #: 537288 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  15:31:35
Sb: #537033-#J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       BTW, I'm told that the rooms they booked us into -- they took the two
biggest rooms they had and slammed them together and hoped for the best, that
it would be enough -- held about 2,400 people, and not only was every seat
taken, there were still folks standing around against the walls.  The folks at
SDCC don't know *what* they're going to do for next year.  This was one of, if
not the biggest crowds of the whole convention, and the biggest gathering of B5
fans yet.  That's double the size of many local conventions, and enough for a
full-fledged convention all by itself.

    09-Jul-96  06:31:39
Sb: #536443-#Fan Club
Fm: ANNE L. WARNER

Joe,

 >>  we'll be sure to announce the web page just about everydamnwhere.   <<

Do I sense an annoyed Maker?  This whole thing seems to be taking longer than
forever?

Oh, Pat or Rick, I'm not sure now which, said at RebelCon that your budget has
been *cut* for this coming year!  Is that for really?  Eeeeeecccccckkkkkkk!
How could WB do such a stupid thing?

Anne

 #: 537289 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  15:31:36
Sb: #537093-#Fan Club
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Actually, no, we got the same increase this year that we got last year
in the budget.

    09-Jul-96  08:18:34
Sb: #Fan Club Mailing
Fm: S J NICHOLSON

Dear Joe,
Sent my fan club membership request around April 15 (when first announced on
compuserve)
--check was cashed
---others have received their mailing over 3 weeks ago
I know bulk mail is sporadic but should I be concerned yet??
Sally

 #: 537290 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  15:31:38
Sb: #537136-#Fan Club Mailing
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It ain't going out bulk mail anymore.  We yanked back most of the
newsletters from the post office, and the folks in the club are going through
and adding more postage, bringing everything to first class.  The newsletters
will henceforth ALL go out first, and the membership kits are also going out
first class.  It's just taking us a bit to get everything reprocessed and
mailed out.  For what it's worth, bear in mind that this is our first shot at
this, and there's a certain learning curve involved.  But as with all things
B5, we will continue to improve with time.

    09-Jul-96  11:49:08
Sb: #536989-#<Last Episode Name>
Fm: DANIEL M. UPTON

Any chance of you posting some "teaser" details from the final four?

Dan^^^^
danupton at blueridge.net

 #: 537291 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    09-Jul-96  15:31:41
Sb: #537206-#<Last Episode Name>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Someone dies.  Someone nearly dies.  Someone is reborn.  Someone takes a
fall.  Lots of things blow up.  Something really big blows up. Hearts are
broken.  Love is found, possibly too late.  And there are equal measures of
hope and great despair.

                                                                       jms

   received his copy of Universe Today. ]

 #: 537294 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  15:34:46
Sb: #537021-#B5 Fan Club Kit!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       You should get it soon.  If by a certain date folks still haven't gotten
theirs, we'll post a phone number to call and get it resent.

                                                                       jms

   but that the web page isn't working. ]

 #: 537295 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-Jul-96  15:34:47
Sb: #537091-Universe Today + website
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We're still waiting for WB to give us the go-ahead on the web site. It's
fully operational now (at a different address for the beta testing), and as
soon as we can meet with them to get the final approvals, which we've been
waiting for for over 2 months, we'll shift it over to the new address.

    09-Jul-96  19:43:32
Sb: #537288-#J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
        I learned my lesson about getting a good seat at the first Con-Dor when
I arrived ten minutes before one of your B5 presentations and nearly all of the
seats were taken.  Since that time, I try and arrive about an hour early so
that I can get a front row center seat.  At this S.D.C.C. I wasn't the only one
who planned ahead, so the best I could do was an aisle seat five rows back.

Given that the B5 presentations draw huge crowds, that the crowds grow larger
at each S.D.C.C., and there will be two more Comic-Cons before the final
episode of the fifth season has aired, it may become necessary to camp outside
the doors to get ANY kind of seating.  You, sir, have created a monster! <g>

                                                Shane

 #: 537612 S5/Babylon 5: General
    10-Jul-96  01:00:50
Sb: #537485-#J.M.S. at S.D.C.C.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      When we began this show, our blood oath was that each season had to be
better than the one before it.  That the crowd has continued to grow each
season indicates that we're doing something right.  When we finally do pull off
an official B5 convention here in the states, I suspect it's gonna be *awful*
big.

    10-Jul-96  01:11:20
Sb: #Just Our Luck
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      File this one under, "We Never Catch A Break On This Show."

      So we *finally* get a feature story in TV Guide, in their upcoming SF
television roundup (July 27th).  They even arrange for a photo shoot, bring in
actors, in some cases with the actors cutting short vacations, putting on
makeup, costumes, all that...we do the shoot, the negs and transparencies get
sent to NY Federal Express so they'll be sure to get there in time....

      And the delivery truck gets hijacked at gunpoint.  (The driver was
unhurt, we're told.)

      (The story will still proceed, but using older artwork.)

      Typical.  Absolutely typical.