ATTN JMS: Is B5 dead?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed Jun 19 06:19:00 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Is B5 dead?
+  1: Jun 18, 1996: Weaver <Weaver at vermontel.com>
+  2: Jun 19, 1996: denebeim at deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim)
*  3: Jun 19, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: Weaver <Weaver at vermontel.com>

On this news server there have been lots of messages saying how verious
major stations are dropping the show. How much trouble is this causing
for the show, also are there any statons picking up the Show?

Weave

From: denebeim at deepthot.cary.nc.us (Jay Denebeim)

In article <31C6EFAB.C6B at vermontel.com>, Weaver  <Weaver at vermontel.com> wrote:
>On this news server there have been lots of messages saying how verious
>major stations are dropping the show. How much trouble is this causing
>for the show, also are there any statons picking up the Show?

It sounds like it's two, Philly, and BBS.  Of course BBS is all of
canada, but I don't think that will hurt the show because WB doesn't
think they ever existed anyway.  So...  I don't think it will be that
big a deal, the same thing happened last year.

(Of course to the people who are hurt by this, I'm sorry.)

Jay
--
* Jay Denebeim, Moderator, rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated   *
* newsgroup submission address:   rastb5 at solon.com             *

"As the most participatory form of mass speech yet developed, the
Internet deserves the highest protection from governmental intrusion."
                                         - Judge Stewart Dalzell

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

It's amazing...we just get renewed for year 4 and 8 days into that renewal
people are asking us if we're dead...we've been declared dead more often
than Lazarus.

No, it's not a particular problem.  The situation is that PTEN is no
longer a real entity anymore; we're now a syndicated series now that the
network has gone south.  Many groups were nominally held together by that
thread; once the contractual thread was removed, there's going to be some
reshuffling of stations.  It's an everyday part of the business.  In some
other cases, because WB held off as long as it did on a decision, due to
the PTEN situation, a few places have filled their slots.

The problem with the nets is that if you see 6 messages about how a
station is opting out of the show, the perception is of 6 places where it
happened, when it's just the one.  This exact same thing happened this
time last season.  There's always a case of musical chairs around this
time of the year.

WB is lining up stations to replace those which have opted out.  Bear in
mind that UPN stations and FOX stations have obligations to those networks
which preclude their responsibility to this one show; if UPN wants another
night on their schedule, it has to come from somewhere.  It happens all
the time.

Once the dust settles, I'd say all or nearly all of the areas in question
will have alternate stations available for the show.