JMS on CompuServe (Mar 19, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Tue Mar 19 13:16:56 EST 1996

 [ Note from Brent: Before you ask, no I cannot forward
   your questions to JMS.  He has asked that questions
   not originating from CIS accounts not be posted to
   CIS.  He encourages all of us to wait for the
   moderated USENET group, to which he plans to
   subscribe. ]

   uniforms. ]

 #: 472325 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:20
Sb: #472114-#_WHAT_ uniforms?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Not so much a uniform as a look, really....

    18-Mar-96  08:02:52
Sb: #472027-#Thought from jms
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>       Especially since the script as it's going to be published in the book
has a lot of material omitted from the episode for time.

Gee, there was stuff omitted? I just never would have guessed...

Have you ever considered asking Warner to let you do a 2 hour syndicated
series?

I think you need the time.

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 472326 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:22
Sb: #472139-#Thought from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       We end up cutting stuff out of every episode to some extent.  I believe
in writing long so you can take out any bits that don't work as well, so only
the strong stuff remains, and keep the pacing fast.  Usually it's just line
cutting within a scene, but on a few occasions we've snipped out an entire
short scene when necessary.

    18-Mar-96  08:02:56
Sb: #471868-#Minbari Stealth
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>       I studied with Vorlons....

And what did you teach them?

Phil^^^^
FREE MARS!

 #: 472327 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:23
Sb: #472140-Minbari Stealth
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Never ask that question.

                                                                       jms

   88 episodes (4 seasons, ala Kung-Fu). ]

 #: 472328 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:25
Sb: #472141-Other Arc Series
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, if WB said there's no 5th season, period, end of discussion, the
market has gotten too glutted, it won't sustain it...yes, the story could be
collapsed into year four.  It would just mean omitting some of the personal
non-arc episodes, and some segues.  There are basically three major movements
or themes that occupy the last two years; best is to let them play out at a
reasonable pace over two years, but it could be collapsed into one, if that
were to ever become necessary.

       But obviously that would not be my first choice.

                                                               jms

   group of Benedictine monks that now design custom-made Web pages for
   the Internet.  The article goes on to state that the monks' tradition
   includes the collection and preservation of information, and an
   electronic medium such as the Web seemed a natural progression. ]

 #: 472329 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:26
Sb: #472206-Techno-monks
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I've heard this on and off since doing the episode...once again, the
line between fact and fiction blurs.

    18-Mar-96  10:39:28
Sb: #Kosh's name
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

Kosh Naranek, is this Kosh's real name or does he just use it to be identified
by the people on Babylon 5?

 #: 472331 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:31
Sb: #472222-#Kosh's name
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       His name is less a *name* and more of a description.

    18-Mar-96  12:25:00
Sb: #472081-#YEAR (sing) of shd war..
Fm: LAURENCE MORONEY

Strangely enough V:The Series didn't *look* all that expensive.

Still, I would love to see more of your script, and if you are looking for a
cheap ghostwriter.... <G>

Laurence

 #: 472332 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  14:02:33
Sb: #472268-#YEAR (sing) of shd war..
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       V had a big cast, and a lot of location shooting, outdoor EFX, lots of
stunts...it adds up fast.

    18-Mar-96  18:09:03
Sb: #472331-#Kosh's name
Fm: NEIL BLEVINS

RE: Kosh

> His name is less a *name* and more of a description.<

Might I enquire as to what language this description is in?

- Neil

 #: 472716 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:19
Sb: #472369-#Kosh's name
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       My guess would be that the language in which Kosh's description is made
would be Vorlon....

    18-Mar-96  19:04:48
Sb: #Homeworlds
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

Why doesn't the Narn homeworld and Vorlon homeworld have names?

 #: 472719 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:24
Sb: #472395-Homeworlds
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The Narn homeworld is called Narn, the Vorlon homeworld's nearest
English equivilent is Vorlon.   The Earther homeworld is Earth.

    18-Mar-96  19:06:21
Sb: #Great Space Sweepstakes
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

Does the fact that WB is giving away a chance to be an extra on B5 which would
presumable have to happen in season 4, bode well for renewal?

 #: 472720 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:26
Sb: #472396-Great Space Sweepstakes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       One would think the contest would bode well...but there are always ways
out and consolation prizes.  It guarantees nothing but we take some small
reassurance in it.

                                                                       jms

 #: 472721 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:27
Sb: #472529-Who let the Feeders out?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Stupid bureaucrats who couldn't afford to maintain a quarantine
enforcement team in the sector.

                                                                       jms

   G'Kar is marked for assassination. ]

 #: 472722 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:29
Sb: #472546-B5 Reruns
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That one was The Parliament of Dreams.

                                                                       jms

 #: 472723 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:32
Sb: #472604-#JMS:B5 on WB Network?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, the WB network is definitely *not* taking B5; the divisions at WB
are very separate from one another, and very competitive.  The WB network
wouldn't take a PTEN show.

                                                                       jms

   will be at Marcon but can't recall who else is going.  The poster just
   indicates that he will be going. ]

 #: 472724 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-Mar-96  03:17:33
Sb: #472665-Marcon/Columbus Dispatch
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I believe Pat Tallman will also be at Marcon.

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *          -- Watch Babylon-5! --           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.