JMS on CompuServe (Mar 18, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Mon Mar 18 15:38:00 EST 1996

 [ Note from Brent: Before you ask, no I cannot forward
   your questions to JMS.  He has asked that questions
   not originating from CIS accounts not be posted to
   CIS.  He encourages all of us to wait for the
   moderated USENET group, to which he plans to
   subscribe. ]

 #: 471523 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  10:11:58
Sb: #Numan Tapes
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi ,

Have you received the Gary Numan tapes I sent?

Mike

 #: 471860 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  19:07:11
Sb: #471523-Numan Tapes
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, sorry, it's been busy, so I've only gotten a chance to listen to
one tape so far.  I'll be honest and say that while I think it's good, it's not
generally the kind of thing I tend to listen to for very long, in that what
I've heard so far doesn't seem to have a lot of variation to it, it's very
electronic, and after a while, for me, that becomes white noise.  It's the kind
of music you tend not to notice after a while, and I like to notice my music.

       Nonetheless, you went through a great deal of effort to send it along,
and that is most definitely appreciated.  Musical tastes, like anything else,
vary widely.  I can see why many folks would like Mr. Numan's work, and his
background (in the clippings, for which I thank you again) is most interesting.
It's just not the kind of thing that winds my watch.

                                                                       jms

 #: 471861 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  19:07:14
Sb: #471546-#B5 Reruns
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       No, the TNT situation doesn't really impact the PTEN decision overall,
though certainly I expect they'd like to get at least 88 episodes out of it.

                                                                       jms

 #: 471865 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  19:07:23
Sb: #471687-Fan Club
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The fan club was authorized a few weeks back, and we're in the process
now of finalizing all pertinent (and impertinent) elements; price (we're trying
to keep it under $15 to allow maximum accessibility), what's going into the
first membership kit, setting up an account, that sort of thing.

    17-Mar-96  17:02:03
Sb: #The Ensemble Look
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

> We care what happens to these people and aliens.<

< Which is essential, whatever happens.  If something happens to someone, and
you don't care for the character, it's meaningless. >

     Pretty much.  That's the problem, I find, with a lot of the sf and f on tv
that's out there (and in a lot of the series that air as a general rule).
You've done wonders with B5, especially with the races that we've seen come and
go (especially the Markab, who I think will be one of the memorable species for
some years to come), and the Centauri and the Narn are a good example of races
that we've seen *culture* emerge as the series has gone on.  I find the Minbari
to be somewhat more lightly developed to this point, but that's because of the
mystery involving them and all.  I suspect we'll see a lot more of them in the
future. :)

        jmk

 #: 471866 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  19:07:25
Sb: #471728-#The Ensemble Look
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, I tend to agree.  Lately we've spent a lot of time on the Narns and
the Centauri from a cultural point of view, so the latter part of this season
swings a bit back in the direction of the Minbari, allowing us to learn a
little more about them, their approach to war, relationships, their political
structure and so on.

       And of course, the middle batch we've been in lately has focused a lot
on Earth, so we can deal with the whole Nightwatch/Clark scenario before moving
back into broader questions.

       I tend to write toward (for lack of a better term) musical structure;
one theme in the piece rises for a while, dominates, then slowly diminishes for
a bit while another theme comes forward...then you have several rising all at
once...interludes and crescendos...broken here and there by the single clear
note, the non-arc story, which sustains us between the major pieces and greater
musical themes.

                                                                       jms

 #: 471732 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-Mar-96  17:02:09
Sb: #<Tallman Episodes>
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

      Hullo, Joe,

<  She's also in "Walkabout" this season. >

      Ah, that's the other episode that I seem to recall seeing you mention
something about  Lyta being in as well.  Oh well. two more episodes this year
isn't *too* bad, right? :)

        jmk

 #: 471867 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-Mar-96  19:07:28
Sb: #471732-<Tallman Episodes>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Two more Lyta episodes is...a good start.  We'll see if we can boost
that a bit as we go.

    17-Mar-96  18:11:37
Sb: #471412-#Minbari Stealth
Fm: TOM KNUDSEN

Joe,

        <If I answer that question, the Minbari warrior caste would have my
head for revealing advanced alien tech....>

        Slippery 'lil devil, ain't ya?<G>

     Tom^^^^

     "The avalanche has started, it is too late
      for the pebbles to vote." - Kosh Naranek

 #: 471868 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  19:07:31
Sb: #471793-#Minbari Stealth
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I studied with Vorlons....

    17-Mar-96  20:22:37
Sb: #Triluminary device
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

If a Minbari can use the triluminary device to change as Delen did, can a human
do the same?

 #: 472025 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  22:52:06
Sb: #471939-Triluminary device
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I suppose it's possible to use the triluminary and chrysalis device that
way.

                                                                       jms

 #: 472026 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  22:52:07
Sb: #471969-Marcon/Columbus Dispatch
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, in addition to me, Richard Biggs will be there, and one other;
unfortunately I've just forgotten who....

                                                                       jms

   be in JMS' new scriptwriting book is reason enough for any B5 fan to
   buy it even if they aren't interested in scriptwriting. ]

 #: 472027 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-Mar-96  22:52:08
Sb: #471972-#Thought from jms
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Especially since the script as it's going to be published in the book
has a lot of material omitted from the episode for time.

                                                                       jms

   B5's run with PTEN. ]

 #: 472079 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  03:00:25
Sb: #472029-B5 Reruns
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       The broadcast stations which are a part of PTEN feel that if it aired
now on TNT as well it'd be competition that would dilute their ratings.

    18-Mar-96  00:54:33
Sb: #469908-#YEAR (sing) of shd war..
Fm: LAURENCE MORONEY

>>Bear in mind that in the first season, we didn't even know the shadows
*existed* until it was almost over.  This is more than just the story of this
particular war.<<

*We* didn't know - but the Vorlon did, and the Icarus awoke the shadows not
long before the time of the pilot. And then Kosh turned up in the words of
Mollari "at the beginning of the third age of mankind...".

To cut a long story short, I reckon B5 is the story of the third age, and that
the Shadow war is the catalyst of the third age.....

Near the mark?

Cheers,
Laurence
P.S. love the 'V' script in the library, will we be seeing any more?

 #: 472081 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-Mar-96  03:00:28
Sb: #472066-YEAR (sing) of shd war..
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Close, but there's a lot more involved in the third age than B5 or the
shadows per se.

       Yes, there's a full V script -- 4 hours worth -- that I wrote for WB,
but it'll never get made; too expensive for syndication.  (Heck, it was also
too expensive for *network*...which is one reason why we had to fight so hard
to get B5 on the air.  V the series nearly torpedoed WB television all by
itself due to bugetary over-runs.)

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *          -- Watch Babylon-5! --           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.