JMS on CompuServe (Mar 26, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett brent.barrett at 24stex.com
Tue Mar 26 16:31:34 EST 1996

 [ Note from Brent: Before you ask, no I cannot forward
   your questions to JMS.  He has asked that questions
   not originating from CIS accounts not be posted to
   CIS.  He encourages all of us to wait for the
   moderated USENET group, to which he plans to
   subscribe. ]

   at some point before the full five year run of B5. ]

 #: 476101 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Mar-96  20:19:45
Sb: #475830-#Yr. 4 renewal
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I always have to operate on the assumption it will be picked up, or
it'll falter; this show is an act of sheer will.

    25-Mar-96  13:28:50
Sb: #Lost Threads?
Fm: KEVIN P. KENNEY

Your response about the death of Turhan being natural made me think that most
of Talia Winters' story threads have been allowed to evaporate, due to that
actress' situation.  Is this a fair assessment?  Have we lost a few percent of
what you originally wanted the story to be because of this?  (You are making up
for it elsewhere, and probably hitting about 150% of your aspirations, but this
may still be an irritant.)

On a larger scale, how many threads are there that you don't know the
resolution to yet?  (Hey, nothing is set in TV till it is aired.)  How many
mysteries have you not decided the answer to yet, since you're still willing to
use something cooler that you think up later?  How much may we lose because you
can't fit it into episodes?  (You might post a list of discarded items...)

Thanks for taking the time,
Have fun on your 'break',
Good luck on renewal,
KpK

 #: 476102 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-Mar-96  20:19:46
Sb: #475880-#Lost Threads?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Nothing dropped behind is ever essential; if it's essential, it stays
in, and gets paid off.  A story thread that hits a reality-speedbump just gets
modified, flows into another thread, just like life.  You just keep on the road
until you get to the end.  It's just what the characters do.

    25-Mar-96  22:03:55
Sb: #Andrea Thompson
Fm: JAMES R. KAPESIS

When Andrea Thompson told you she was leaving the show, did you consider
replacing her with another actress?  Or was the Talia arc not too important in
terms of your story.

 #: 476237 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-Mar-96  00:10:54
Sb: #476154-Andrea Thompson
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Fundamentally, for reasons that become clearer later this season, I
needed *a* telepath on the station, in one of several possible positions; it's
what we call in TV writing "a moveable piece."  Didn't affect things in any
significant way, except to allow the return of Lyta, which opens up a LOT of
great story areas.

                                                                       jms

   Qualified Endorsement List. ]

 #: 43919 S7/SF/Sci-Fi
    24-Mar-96  15:40:12
Sb: #43849-#B5 - VQT Endorsement!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

     I just dashed over here when I heard about the VQT news, to try and get
more information.  I actually hadn't heard of the ETV forum before, and was
surprised (pleasantly) to find so much B5 discussion going on here.  Can you
tell me more about the purpose and direction of this forum?

     Additionally...in searching through messages to find the VQT info, I did a
search using B5 as a keyword, and found a lot of your messages, Lori, which
have been working hard to bring up support for the show, pass along news and
schedules, and coordinate VQT efforts.  It seems that you, Cindy, and a few
others here have been instrumental in this happening, all without my knowing it
was going on.  I can only say that I'm pleased, and thrilled, and happy to see
this, and I want to thank you personally for undertaking all of this in support
of the show.  For those of us who struggle every day, wondering sometimes if
anyone out there is noticing...it's vastly encouraging to know that some have
indeed noticed, and are taking action on their own to help see the story
through.

     Again, thank you.

                                                                jms

   the name is familiar, and, if so, enjoys his work. ]

 #: 44090 S7/SF/Sci-Fi
    25-Mar-96  01:36:30
Sb: #43929-#B5 - VQT Endorsement!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I've written a few published books, fiction and otherwise, but I'm
mainly a television writer/producer.

                                                                       jms

   than happy to try to spread the word about the best show on television!" ]

 #: 44091 S7/SF/Sci-Fi
    25-Mar-96  01:36:30
Sb: #43971-#B5 - VQT Endorsement!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks again for the great work, and the good words.

                                                                       jms

 #: 44233 S7/SF/Sci-Fi
    25-Mar-96  20:20:04
Sb: #44220-B5 - VQT Endorsement!
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       My two novels, DEMON NIGHT and OTHERSYDE, both published in hardcover by
E. P. Dutton, are currently out of print, as is my anthology, TALES FROM THE
NEW TWILIGHT ZONE.  My nonfiction book, THE COMPLETE BOOK OF SCRIPTWRITING is
being republished this fall in a new, totally rewritten and expanded (+100,000
words) edition from Writer's Digest.

                                                                       jms

 * Brent Barrett    brent.barrett at 24stex.com *
 * Senior Software Engineer   Automedia, Inc *
 *          -- Watch Babylon-5! --           *

-*** <b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>.  If you want to send your
-*** reply to someone else, make sure the "To:" header line is correctly
-*** set.  COPYRIGHT NOTICE: You may NOT repost any messages appearing in
-*** this B5JMS list/digest to any other forum without prior permission from
-*** all of the respective authors.