ATTN JMS: The stats (was: Re: on moderation from jms)

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed May 1 06:30:13 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: The stats (was: Re: on moderation from jms)
+  1: Apr 29, 1996: b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu (B5JMS Poster)
*  2: Apr 30, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: b5jms-owner at cs.columbia.edu (B5JMS Poster)

In article <4lvch5$jkr at newsbf02.news.aol.com>,
Jms at B5 <jmsatb5 at aol.com> wrote:
[...]
> For the record, I think the moderated group is performing well overall.
> In just a few short weeks by my counter it's logged about 7,000 messages,
> and will shortly pass the unmoderated group in volume.  The atmosphere is
[...]
>  jms

One minor correction Joe.  The moderated newsgroup surpassed the unmoderated
one's daily volume since the *second* day it came on line.  I've been
keeping tabs on this, since the bulk of the discussion during the voting
period revolved over what might happen to the unmoderated groups as a result
of the unmoderated one.

Below are stats I've collected and processed for almost one month.  They
should be pretty much self-explanatory.  As you can see the moderated
newsgroup had on average almost twice as many articles posted each day.
There's also a small decline in the average number of articles posted to the
non-moderated one, but far from what some feared would be "the end of the
unmoderated newsgroup".

I don't have stats on daily number of articles in the other newsgroups
before rastb5m came to life, so I cannot for sure say it, but lurking for
over two years in these newsgroups I can say with sufficient confidence that
the _total_ number of articles in all B5-related newsgroups had risen.
That, to me, indicates that the moderated newsgroup in all likelihood have
brought back to USENET those who quit a long time ago, and attracted a new
following as well.

One more thing before the actual stats.  These stats are accurate to
whatever showed up on my local news server (news.cs.columbia.edu).  Your
server's mileage may vary (but shouldn't).  Also folks, realize that
statistics can be a very dangerous tool when interpreted by "experts" ---
with not much effort they can be used to argue two mutually exclusive
opposite opinions.

THE STATS:

Legend:
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated       : m
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.info            : i
rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5                 : 5
alt.babylon5.uk                         : u
Total                                   : T
Crossing point                          : X
Each plot point represents 10 articles.

No. of Articles Posted Daily:
04/03: X
04/04: iu              m    5                T
04/05: X                         5             m                          T
04/06: ui                    5         m                      T
04/07: ui                     5                m                       T
04/08: iu               5                  m                 T
04/09: X                       5                      m                       T
04/10: iu                    5                       m                      T
04/11: X                   5               m                   T
04/12: X                   5                   m                   T
04/13: ui                    5                       m                      T
04/14:  X                 5          m                   T
04/15: i u              5                    m                  T
04/16: iu             5                  m                T
04/17: i u                 5                   m                     T
04/18: i u                5                    m                    T
04/19: i u            5             m                T
04/20: iu           5             m             T
04/21:  iu           5          m                T
04/22:  X             5         m                T
04/23: i u          m    5              T
04/24: iu            5               m              T
04/25: iu                 5           m                   T
04/26:  X               5    m                  T
04/27: iu            m 5               T
04/28: iu        m  5          T
04/29:  X             5    m               T

Stats on Daily Articles posted for alt.babylon5.uk
Total = 258
Num. = 27 (number of days)
Min = 0.000000
Max = 23.000000
Mean = 9.555556
Median = 10.000000
Std.Dev. = 6.733003

Stats on Daily Articles posted for rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5
Total = 4725
Num. = 27
Min = 0.000000
Max = 264.000000
Mean = 175.000000
Median = 177.000000
Std.Dev. = 49.659611

Stats on Daily Articles posted for rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.info
Total = 113
Num. = 27
Min = 0.000000
Max = 9.000000
Mean = 4.185185
Median = 4.000000
Std.Dev. = 2.572593

Stats on Daily Articles posted for rec.arts.sf.tv.babylon5.moderated
Total = 8068
Num. = 27
Min = 0.000000
Max = 470.000000
Mean = 298.814815
Median = 309.000000
Std.Dev. = 120.172004

---
B5JMS Poster.
Maintainer, B5JMS.
<b5jms-owner at majordomo.cs.columbia.edu>

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

"One minor correction Joe.  The moderated newsgroup surpassed the
unmoderated one's daily volume since the *second* day it came on line."

kewl....

Now to go pass out from overexposure to math....