ATTN JMS: Why five years?

B5JMS Poster b5jms-owner at shekel.mcl.cs.columbia.edu
Wed May 1 06:25:09 EDT 1996

Subject: ATTN JMS: Why five years?
+  1: Apr 29, 1996: jthompsi at mason2.gmu.edu (James D Thompson)
+  2: Apr 30, 1996: jrholmes at execpc.com (JR Holmes)
*  3: Apr 30, 1996: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

From: jthompsi at mason2.gmu.edu (James D Thompson)

 Is there any special reason why the arc for Babylon 5 lasts five years? Is
this particular to the story you are telling, or is there some inherent
advantage to using a five-year timeline for arc stories in general? Do you
think it is possible to use a two-three year timeline or a six-seven year
timeline? What about a complete arc in a single season?

David Thompson

From: jrholmes at execpc.com (JR Holmes)

jthompsi at mason2.gmu.edu (James D Thompson) wrote:

> Is there any special reason why the arc for Babylon 5 lasts five years? Is
>this particular to the story you are telling, or is there some inherent
>advantage to using a five-year timeline for arc stories in general? Do you
>think it is possible to use a two-three year timeline or a six-seven year
>timeline? What about a complete arc in a single season?

JMS has some strong opinions regarding the economics of producing
syndicated series.  The "Babylon 5 model" that has developed in
Hollywood is based on the practices JMS has instituted in terms
of planning production needs far in advance in order to minimize
the extra expense of crew overtime.

Several years ago, in discussions about the future of Star Trek:
The Next Generation, JMS had stated that it was unlikely that the
show would be produced for more than 7 seasons.  It was his
opinion, supported by considerable evidence, that Paramount would
not make much money on additional seasons because of its basic
production costs and the contractual increases in the actors'
contracts each year beyond the fifth year of production.
Paramount disagreed, and the series extended beyond JMS's
prediction.  Whether Paramount did, indeed, make much profit on
that last year of production has never been disclosed.

Babylon 5 is both the proof and realization of JMS's production
philosophy.  With the delivery of the high quality production of
Babylon 5 for costs approximately half that of a Star Trek
production (and even most network hour drama series), I'm willing
to accept some of JMS's other opinions about the economics of
television production.

As far as the natural length of a story "arc", there is no real
limit on these.  As an example of a single season story arc, have
a look at ABC's recently concluded Murder One.  Hill Street Blues
had story arcs that would extend for fragments of the season.
Thus far, in part due to the economics of television production,
Babylon 5's planned five year arc is the longest known example.

Now that I've shot my mouth off, let's see what JMS had to say.
JR Holmes
Key fingerprint =  37 53 04 D8 9F 66 94 F2  8E 70 CE 14 36 9A B6 6D

From: jmsatb5 at aol.com (Jms at B5)

Knowing the syndication marketplace, I figured five was about the best you
could do before being canceled as new shows came in and the marketplace
changed.  At least, for a new show.  Six felt too long, four could be done
but I kinda wanted a little breathing room if at all possible.