JMS on CompuServe (May 09, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu May 9 14:52:04 EDT 1996

    Sb: #502070-Poisoning Kosh
    Sb: #502072-<ISN News>
    Sb: #502077-<Ship of Tears>
    Sb: #502098-B5 in Sac
    Sb: #502393-JMS: gun port=respect?
    Sb: #502364-Upcoming EP:Walkabout
    Sb: #502521-<Ship of Tears-Bester>

 #: 502070 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-May-96  09:30:52
Sb: #500885-#Poisoning Kosh
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

<  Kosh extended a hand...because he recognized Sinclair.
    Which is all I'll say for now. >

     ARRRRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH!!

     That's the other thing that really bothered me about the whole business of
the poisoning in "The Gathering."  Kosh had to have recognized Sinclair (or
thought he did) if he was willing to even partially reveal himself when he
offered to shake hands with Sinclair.  That very act, of course, should have
been a subtle hint about this.  I suspect that we'll learn more about this in
"War Without End"?

        jmk

 #: 502383 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-May-96  18:01:51
Sb: #502070-Poisoning Kosh
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yeah, it's fair to say you can imply more about this after "War."

                                                                       jms

 #: 502072 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  09:31:04
Sb: #501236-#<ISN News>
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

<  ISN is one of the only interstellar networks bounced via the tachyon relay
systems from Earth to the outer colonies and beyond.  There are lots of other
channels back home, but to get this far out you need the support of the
government. >

     Why am I not surprised? :(

<  The other two reporters are, to say the least, in deep guano. >

       Damn, and here I was really fond of the ISN reporter/anchor played by
Maggie Egan.  I do hope that she makes a comeback at some point...

        Btw, on the subject of reporters for ISN and all, I think I've finally
solved the mystery of the character of "Alison" from "Ship of Tears."  The
character credited in the episode  (in the main credits no less) had to have
been the new ISN person at the start of the episode.
That right or am I still off? :)

        jmk

 #: 502384 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  18:01:52
Sb: #502072-<ISN News>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Yes, the ISN person was Alison.

                                                                       jms

 #: 502077 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  09:31:27
Sb: #500598-#<Ship of Tears>
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

<  That's Brakiri space they attacked; more on that in the next episode.
(They're a League world.) >

       I kind of figured that was Brikiri space that we saw there, given
Susan's comments to the assembled War Council, and I have to admit that I loved
the green-ish sequence of the Shadow attacks.  The Brikiri ships are kind of
neat, too. :)

     That reminds me...I've seen the term for that race spelled Brikiri, but
you just spelled it Brakiri.  And the credits for "Interludes and Examinations"
had one alien listed as Brakiri.  Can you tell me which spelling on the name is
right, please?

        jmk

 #: 502385 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  18:01:53
Sb: #502077-<Ship of Tears>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       It's Brakiri.

    08-May-96  09:33:09
Sb: #B5 in Sac
Fm: AUTOMEDIA, INC.

Hello!

Just a quick note about some activity with our local B5 station, KPWB-31 in
Sacramento.  They recently pre-empted Severed Dreams, as I think I told you
before, and only planned to air it at 3/4am the following morning, which also
happened to be the morning that we all set our clocks forward and hour.  Well,
from what I could tell on the BBSs around here, the calls were incredible and
they finally decided to pre-empt Kung-Fu in the hour before the normal B5 hour
in the following week and re-show Severed Dreams.

Also, just last Saturday, during Ship of Tears, they ran a scroll at the bottom
of the screen saying that B5 was going to be pre-empted (Interludes, this
coming Saturday) but that it would air at 3pm on Saturday instead of the normal
6pm slot.

I'm writing them a letter thanking them for their better treatment of B5 and
thanking them in advance for opting to renew B5.

 -- Brent Barrett

 #: 502386 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-May-96  18:01:55
Sb: #502098-B5 in Sac
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       That's great to hear...the message is getting through.  Thanks.

    08-May-96  18:11:48
Sb: #501227-#JMS: gun port=respect?
Fm: JOHN M. GRAHAM

>> Part of having *alien* aliens is that they don't think like us.<<

Part of the problem with the Minbari is that they are not that *alien*.  While
many of their customs are quite different, they are generally a very logical
race.  in human terms.  I was very disappointed with this item in the story
line.

   I agree whole heartedly with the minority in this thread that an older more
experienced race, no matter who alien, would treat first contact with kid
gloves.
They would know that *they* are dealing with *aliens* of unknown strength,
technology, custom and niavetee.  A defensive or neutral posture is certainly
the most logical, rather than an openly offensive posture [the idea of gun
ports open and shields down make little sense, since the race you encounter may
be able to detect the open ports, but might presume a shield of a nature they
cannot detect].

Different (alien) doesn't mean illogical in my book.

-John

 #: 502513 S5/Babylon 5: General
    08-May-96  22:18:42
Sb: #502393-JMS: gun port=respect?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      "Different (alien) doesn't mean illogical in my book."

      I can think of a number of Zen schools of thought that you would consider
vastly illogical...but quite human.  There are many things we would consider
illogical to a western mind that are perfectly reasonable elsewhere.

                                                                       jms

   Vorlons. ]

 #: 502514 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  22:18:43
Sb: #502364-Upcoming EP:Walkabout
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That would be telling....

                                                                  jms

 #: 502521 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    08-May-96  22:26:18
Sb: #500600-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: MICHAEL GRABOIS

When Bester found that the one bracelet he was brought just happened to be
Carolyn's, both I and my friend separately thought the same thing: "What a Star
Trek-ish plot device."

I mean, out of all the people on the ship, they just happen to find the one
person who is significant to Bester? I can see what you wanted to do, but
couldn't it have worked better if, say, he had been brought a list of people
who were in the ship? That way he could scan it and find that yes, Carolyn was
on it. The way it worked out didn't feel right.
        mg

 #: 502577 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  01:35:58
Sb: #502521-<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, they could've brought him a list...and he'd have seen the name
instantly, and wouldn't have been hit with his own "blip" careless attitude
right in his face...also, she needed to be already being defrosted at that
point, and you can't defrost all of them at once.

      Yeah, it was a coincidence.  Synchronicity.  It happens.  It doesn't
happen much on this show, hardly ever.  I figured she'd be one of the last in,
and thus the first out.  Synchronicity and coincidences *do* happen.  How many
times have you reached for the phone to call someone to find the phone ringing,
and it's them on the other end?  What're the odds of Oedipus killing his father
and marrying his mother out of all the possible kingdoms in the area?  It
happens.  As long as it doesn't happen to excess, it's not something I'm
worried about.