JMS on CompuServe (May 10, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri May 10 18:12:59 EDT 1996

    Sb: #502559-#Joe an atheist?
    Sb: #502674-<Rage's Thots: Teeps>
    Sb: #502891-Kosh's Appearance/Form
    Sb: #502969-#Using B5 names and place
    Sb: #502744-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
    Sb: #502578-<<Interludes...>>
    Sb: #502835->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #503072->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #503032-#<Interludes - Name>
    Sb: #503034-<<I&E: Soundtracking>>

   can be an athiest and still have an open mind. ]

 #: 503015 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-May-96  22:04:20
Sb: #502559-#Joe an atheist?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, Mara is correct.  I'm an atheist.

      You got a problem with my personal beief system?

      Tough.  You don't get a vote.

      And if that's enough to make you not watch the show...well, the problem
is entirely yours.

      I leave my personal beliefs *out* of what I write for TV.  I don't try to
impose my attitudes or conclusions on others, or penalize others for what they
think.

      You ought to try it sometime.

    09-May-96  09:24:32
Sb: #<Rage's Thots: Teeps>
Fm: CHAD UNDERKOFFLER

Hey, Joe...

In "Ship of Tears" (and possibly earlier eps), it is mentioned that teeps need
line-of-sight to scan people.

However, in Gethesemane, Lyta scans the Centauri teep through a burlap sack; in
Race Thru Dark Places, Bester "takes down the walls" and apparently scans
globally; and possibly a few other times non-LOS psi is shown.

Does this mean:
        1. Only *deep* scans need LOS (and physical contact works even better),

        AND/OR

        2. Teeps don't necessarily have to "see" someone, but know where they
are /           that they're there.

Just looking for clarification, oh Mighty Joe of Jung. <g>

Rage
Ranger of Washingdome &  Blue Blaze Irregular
"Time is what keeps everything from happening at once."

 #: 503018 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-May-96  22:22:05
Sb: #502674-<Rage's Thots: Teeps>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, it means that the person has to be in their line of sight; they don't
have to look into the person's eyes or anything as silly as that.  It doesn't
matter if the person's head or body are covered, as long as there's a definite
"focus" for them.

                                                                         jms

   inspiration for the design of Kosh, as they are very similar in
   appearance. ]

 #: 503019 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-May-96  22:22:06
Sb: #502891-Kosh's Appearance/Form
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Only similarity is that the same EFX person designed Kosh as designed the
aliens in the Abyss.

    09-May-96  20:11:54
Sb: #Using B5 names and place
Fm: MIKE HOFFMANN

Hello Joe!

I am in the process of having a personal Internet domain registered and I would
like to use a name or term from the B5 universe for it.

My question is, whether such usage would fall under fair use or be prohibited
by trademarks or if it is possible to gain permission from you or WB to use
such a name, by giving a guaranty that any sites under that name would not
deliver data that falls under these new indecency laws?

There already happens to be a vorlon.com, did they just use the name or did
they gain permission from WB first?

The Domain Name Service is a greyzone, very likely the vast majority of domain
names chosen after names from literature, TV or movies is illegal in a strict
sense, but I haven't heard of massive lawsuits forbidding them yet. Still, I
feel I should check with you first.

Thanks!
Mike

 -Mike Hoffmann
Stock prices of Harddrive manufacturers dropped, when Bill Gates announced that
his decision
to rename his company "Microsoft" to "Moft" will save users approximately
15,000,000 bytes
in smaller copyright and disclaimer notices alone. (paraphrased from a post on
Usenet)

 #: 503020 S5/Babylon 5: General
    09-May-96  22:22:08
Sb: #502969-#Using B5 names and place
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      If you make it a .com name, you will eventually run afoul of WB.

                                                                     jms

 #: 502744 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  13:17:18
Sb: #502577-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: MICHAEL GRABOIS

>>Yeah, it was a coincidence.  Synchronicity.  It happens.  It doesn't happen
much on this show, hardly ever.  ....  As long as it doesn't happen to excess,
it's not something I'm worried about.<<

OK, as long as you don't start making a habit of it, I'll be happy.

By the way, any thoughts on the B5 presentation at the San Diego Con this year?
        mg

 #: 503021 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  22:22:11
Sb: #502744-#<Ship of Tears-Bester>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, I'll be at comic con, and will likely bring nifty stuff to show, as
usual.

                                                                       jms

   doing. ]

 #: 503022 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  22:22:12
Sb: #502578-<<Interludes...>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Let me answer this way...whenever I'm going to unveil something on the
show, I begin to point to it in upcoming episodes.  I've begun pointing to the
question of what the shadows want, and why they're doing it.  So, logically,
I'm now going to have to follow up on that....

                                                                         jms

   and why do they let him stay, knowing his connection to the Shadows? ]

 #: 503023 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  22:22:15
Sb: #502835->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      B5 is still a place of considerable commerce, access to lots and lots of
other races and diplomats...it serves Londo's purposes for now, and there are
probably lots of Centauri back home who would prefer he stay here.  As for the
rest...better the devil you know than the devil you don't.  At least on B5 they
can keep somewhat of an eye on him.

                                                                      jms

   come after him. ]

 #: 503078 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-May-96  00:25:17
Sb: #503072->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Because he knew a price had to be paid, and if it wasn't him, it'd be
someone else.  Because he knew there was no getting around it.  He's too
prideful to run.

      Remember Gethsemane....

                                                                        jms

   title *never* gives you a good idea of the episode content on Babylon 5. ]

 #: 503079 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-May-96  00:25:18
Sb: #503032-#<Interludes - Name>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, you'll see more of Franklin, as he tries to deal with his problem.
At first it's not too bad, but with time....

      Re: titles...yeah, you got to watch out with this show, sometimes I put
on deliberately dull titles when I want to sneak up behind you quietly.  The
more innocuous sounding, the more you should worry....

                                                                           jms

 #: 503034 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    09-May-96  22:57:46
Sb: #<<I&E: Soundtracking>>
Fm: CARRIE FOREMAN

I was wondering about the soundtrack for I&E: as it was playing on our stereo
TV, out of the left speaker, I got a ghost replay of the Avalon soundtrack. It
was mostly annoying, when the commercials would play over quiet moments, but at
one point it was oddly pointed: As Kosh/Sheridan Sr. was conveying regret,
sorrow and pain (and maybe even a little love/respect?), the echo I heard was
Michael York's agonizing scream as the knight skewered him. The coincidence
added impact to the scene. The first time I saw it, the scream was almost
subliminal.

What might have caused the ghosting of a soundtrack?

 #: 503080 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    10-May-96  00:25:20
Sb: #503034-<<I&E: Soundtracking>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was probably caused by your local staion taping the show on the
satellite downlink over the same tape they used for "Avalon."  They likely
didn't degauss the tape first.