JMS on CompuServe (May 17, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Fri May 17 17:00:31 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #507084-<WWE - timeline ?>
    Sb: #507132-<WWE1: Familiar Shuttle>
    Sb: #507260-JMS: Arc a Fake?
    Sb: #507279-B5 Screen Saver sound
    Sb: #507036-<War Without End, Pt 1>
    Sb: #507150-<War Without End pt1>
    Sb: #507326-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
    Sb: #507332-<WWE - timeline ?>
    Sb: #507310-<WWE1 Ships>
    Sb: #507339-War I

   straight in "War Without End," or did JMS "throw up [his] hands and say,
   'Who cares about explaining it?  It's one hell of a story!'" ]

 #: 507311 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  22:34:00
Sb: #507084-<WWE - timeline ?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, it all has to hang together, or it's kinda useless.  It just required
working out the details of what was, is, and will be.  Then I walked on
water....

                                                                        jms

 #: 507132 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  16:45:19
Sb: #507061-#<WWE1: Familiar Shuttle>
Fm: BERNARD F. DOWDY, J

Wing Commander IV and a new joystick (mine's fried too) are at the top of the
list once my new Pentium system is fully assembled.  It's awaiting 32MB of RAM
(finally, enough to run Windows NT *well*) and a SCSI card.

What brand of stick did you buy?  Did you go with an optical design?

Bernie

 #: 507312 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  22:34:03
Sb: #507132-<WWE1: Familiar Shuttle>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Optical design?  Whuzzat?

      I don't recall the make, but it plugs in at the game card, the mouse
port, AND the keyboard port.  Frankly, it scares the hell out of me.

    16-May-96  20:49:06
Sb: #506751-#JMS: Arc a Fake?
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

Bruce, Dallas, etc. are considered night-time soaps. No real arc.

Twin Peaks was also considered a soap--David Lynch style. However, I can't
comment on Twin Peaks much, as I am one of the few people who never saw it,
never wanted to see it, and never wants to see it. I loathe David Lynch's work.

I think that the closest we ever came to a "novel on television" prior to B5
would be the miniseries. Roots, I believe, was the first miniseries, and it
"rooted" us to our sofas every night for a week. The American public likes
miniseries. Whether they like to see a "novel for television" stretched over a
five-year arc, or even a one-year arc (Murder One), remains to be seen.

I, however, love the form and hope more producers follow Joe's example.

        Meryl

 #: 507319 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-May-96  22:41:56
Sb: #507260-JMS: Arc a Fake?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The real drag about Twin Peaks is that, apparently, as told to me by some
of the writers who worked on the show, they really had NO idea where they were
going.  They just kept throwing stuff out there.  I was vastly disappointed.

                                                                      jms

   scratching noise when he views the character profiles. ]

 #: 507320 S5/Babylon 5: General
    16-May-96  22:41:57
Sb: #507279-B5 Screen Saver sound
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There's not a fix; that's the Identicard Scanner sound, which you hear on
the show from time to time.

                                                                     jms

 #: 507321 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  22:41:58
Sb: #507036-<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, the B1-B3 sabotages had nothing at all to do with the B4 situation;
it was just done by forces opposed to the very notion of the Babylon Project.

                                                                      jms

 #: 507150 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  17:08:09
Sb: #506754-#<War Without End pt1>
Fm: DANIEL M. UPTON

>>Oh that bit about londo's prophecy about not killing the one who is already
dead?  I now believe it is Sheridan.<<

I believe that you are right.  What if it goes down like this.  Sheridan goes
to Za'ha'dum and dies, but in dying secures victory over the Shadows and sees
that whatever needs to happen to keep the Shadow's minions from destroying
Centari Prime is done (because of the warning of what will happen given by
Londo in the future).  However the future Londo, who knows that Sheridan is
already dead, kills Sheridan when he appears on Centari Prime (this is what he
meant when he said that Sheridan had returned from the void).  In killing
Sheridan he prevents Sheridan from returning to the "present" (in the current
B5 timeline) and one of two things happens.  One, the Shadows are defeated but
Sheridan is not able to do whatever it is he does to prevent the destruction of
Centari Prime.  Or, two, the presence of Sheridan is necessary to beat the
Shadows and his failure to return from the future causes the Shadows to wipe
out all life in the galaxy including the Centari.  In either case Londo, by
killing the man who is already dead, causes the destruction of his people.

Dan^^^^
danupton at blueridge.net

 #: 507322 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    16-May-96  22:41:59
Sb: #507150-<War Without End pt1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Careful...we're straying into story ideas here....

    16-May-96  23:53:05
Sb: #507059-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
Fm: MARK D. SMITH

>>       I'll put it to you this way...Kosh was old enough to have had a first
hand familiarity with Valen.  Vorlons live a REAL long time.<<

Or perhaps BE Valen or maybe just the driving force behind Van Halen, er Valen.
<GD&R>

OK, question though, how long ago (now being 2260 on B5) did Valen live and
come up with his ideas?  If you've said, I've sadly forgotten.

Mark

 #: 507348 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-96  01:08:57
Sb: #507326-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Valen led the prior shadow war and formed the grey council roughly 1000
years before B5's current time.

                                                                          jms

   couldn't stand the strain of Sinclair being sent to Minbar as an
   Ambassador." ]

 #: 507349 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  01:08:58
Sb: #507332-<WWE - timeline ?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That would certainly get in the way, yes.

                                                                   jms

 #: 507350 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  01:09:00
Sb: #507310-<WWE1 Ships>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      We've shown the saucer-shaped ship before; it's a Vree ship, first seen
in Deathwalker.

                                                                        jms

 #: 507339 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  00:59:02
Sb: #War I
Fm: ASHA DEVELDER

Joe,

   I can't say enough about this last show, and I expect next week to render me
totally speechless!  I was left at the end of the hour with my jaw hanging
open, totally blown away!!  You've done it to us again, and I'm sure you're
just hitting your stride!  How I will survive the next two years is anyone's
guess.

   I would also like to leave a little note on spoilers.  Up until the last two
episodes, I was a spoiler hound; couldn't get enough of 'em.  But, just for a
lark, I've stayed away from them, and I have to say that the impact is so much
greater this way!  I've reformed.  Of course this will mean I'll have to
rewatch them more often as it often becomes hard to catch one's breath, but
that's a risk I'm more than willing to take.

   Thanks again, Joe for sharing this glorious world with us all!

                         Asha

 #: 507351 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  01:09:00
Sb: #507339-War I