JMS on CompuServe (May 20, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/4

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon May 20 16:32:24 EDT 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

    Sb: #507850-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
    Sb: #507755-#<WWE or All good things>
    Sb: #507875-JMS: Arc a Fake?
    Sb: #508037-#<<WWE, Part I>>
    Sb: #508082-#WwE Part 1 Question
    Sb: #507996-#<Vorlon Thought, WWE,I>
    Sb: #508075-#>>War Without End: 1<<
    Sb: #507903-B5 Story Arc
    Sb: #507885-#<<War w/o End, p1>>
    Sb: #507991-#Series Thoughts
    Sb: #508108-WWE PART ONE
    Sb: #508348-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
    Sb: #508321-#WwE Part 1 Question

 #: 507850 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  03:21:14
Sb: #507598-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: MATTHEW D. WOUDSTRA

And here is another thing that bothers me about Delenn:

How long can one person wear the same outfit???  Good grief Delenn, go
shopping, buy yourself a new robe or something... sheesh!!!

Remember that episode where a lone Fury on patrol around the station flew into
that stuffed bear that looked like Sheridan...  Wouldn't that episode have been
sooo much better  if  the Fury flew into... oh I don't know... say, one of the
principle players, one with a bony head crest and long black hair...? just a
thought...

 #: 507862 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  03:54:04
Sb: #507850-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, Delenn probably has more outfits than just about anyone else;
there's the blue outfit, the rose colored outfit, the green active-wear look,
her grey cloak and white religious caste robes, one more change of color...so I
think your observation here is flawed.

                                                                          jms

   particles. ]

 #: 507863 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  03:54:05
Sb: #507755-#<WWE or All good things>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's because tachyons are unique particles; they appear to be moving
the wrong way through time.  So they're natural for this purpose.  ST didn't
make up the idea of tachyons.

                                                                         jms

   for hanging out on the nets. ]

 #: 508285 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-May-96  23:10:08
Sb: #507875-JMS: Arc a Fake?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and it's just fun hanging around.

                                                                      jms

 #: 508287 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-May-96  23:10:11
Sb: #508037-#<<WWE, Part I>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yeah, the White Star has been common knowledge ever since it came in at
the end of "Severed Dreams."  Certainly, by virtue of being Garibaldi's second
in command, he'd know about it.  At this point, most everything is out in the
open now.

                                                                         jms

   event. ]

 #: 508288 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:14
Sb: #508082-#WwE Part 1 Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It was done for story purposes.

                                                                   jms

 #: 507996 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  13:14:05
Sb: #507306-#<Vorlon Thought, WWE,I>
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

< There probably wasn't a credit there because it was an incidental voice
rather than a recurring voice. >

       Ah, that would explain it.  I thought there might be something along
these lines behind it, since that indicates to me that we won't see *this*
particular Vorlon again, other than perhaps in another incidental role on
MInbar.

<  The other Vorlon also sounded different because I directed Ardwight in
different inflections...literally stood there outside the booth using my hand
like a baton to indicate the rising and falling inflections as he spoke, to
give it a wave kind of sound. >

       Which was something the Vorlon on Minbar didn't have; there was no
musical intonation to the voice.  That implies to me that not all Vorlons will
sound the same, even if they wear similar or identical encounter suits.  Unless
they make a deliberate attempt to do so.  I admit to not being aware that you
were...orchestrating <g> Kosh's speech with Ardwight.  I would have loved to
have been standing outside the booth, watching that! <g>

       Which gives rise to something else...  Now that Kosh is dead (and I
presume that you won't be bringing this character back to life), what was it
about the character of Kosh that you really liked and really disliked?  I've
been wondering about this for some time, since the personality of Kosh seems to
have been  jewel-like, multi-faceted and yet rather opaque at times.

        jmk

 #: 508289 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:17
Sb: #507996-#<Vorlon Thought, WWE,I>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Actually, there wasn't much about Kosh I disliked...except his cryptic
ways...they're all annoying that way.

                                                                   jms

 #: 508075 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  16:05:10
Sb: #507062-#>>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: MIKE HOFFMANN

>> Sheridan was/will be on Centauri Prime. <<

Joe,

I am a bit confused by this. You are saying that *in one alternate universe*
Sheridan will be on Centauri Prime, just like in 8 days in one alternate
universe Ivanova will cry to the universe for help while the Shadows blast B5
to hell and in one alternate universe Garibaldi sacrifices himself for
Sinclair?

Mike (who is about half an inch from grabbing a piece of paper and starting to
draw timelines... :)

 -Mike Hoffmann
Stock prices of Harddrive manufacturers dropped, when Bill Gates announced that
his decision
to rename his company "Microsoft" to "Moft" will save users approximately
15,000,000 bytes
in smaller copyright and disclaimer notices alone. (paraphrased from a post on
Usenet)

 #: 508290 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:19
Sb: #508075-#>>War Without End: 1<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There are no alternate univeses, only alternate or possible futures. If
they didn't go back, the future in which Sinclair is there with Garibaldi --
having come back to see through the final battle -- and in which Sheridan is
killed, and Ivanova is calling for help...that future will come true.

                                                                     jms

 #: 507903 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  09:31:17
Sb: #506767-#B5 Story Arc
Fm: CAROL NAYLOR

Hi Joe

>>.Sinclair and Delenn aren't married, it was stated as a *rebirth ceremony*
which CAN sometimes double as a marriage ceremony, the rebirth being Delenn's
upcoming change...

Quick question - is the "rebirth ceremony" from Parliament of Dreams what we
would have seen had the full ceremony gone ahead in Ceremonies of Light and
Dark or are there several different versions - each with their own
significance?

Just curious

BTW -re: Dr Who. In the UK you can guess a person's age by asking them which
was their favorite Dr Who; it's _always_ the one with which they grew up. Tom
Baker was my favorite Dr Who too - I found myself strap-hanging opposite him
(well, nose to navel - he could look you in the eye) on the Underground last
year - he looked one of the most lugubrious people I have ever seen. Guess what
they say about the sad clown is true. Did you know that he used to be a monk?

Carol

 #: 508291 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:20
Sb: #507903-B5 Story Arc
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, it's the same ceremony; Delenn states as much in the episode.

                                                                       jms

 #: 507885 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  08:15:19
Sb: #<<War w/o End, p1>>
Fm: JONATHAN HOOPINGARN

<<Spoiler Space>>

Beware!

I recently saw a message you posted on the above subject #507062 16-May-96, (I
saw it in digest form so can't reply directly to it) which said that the
time-flash in Sheridan's case slid him along his own time-line (I guess in
physics it's called a "world-line") and super-imposed his POV on himself on
Centauri Prime 18 years into his future.

Dosen't this blow the mystery of whether Sheridan goes to Z'ha'dum? Or would
that event be later in his life than his going to Centauri Prime? And are we
going to find out why older-Sheridan was on C-prime in the first place and not
off someplace collecting his pension?

By the way, though my partner thinks it was a bit weak, I think Ivanova's
admission of her feelings for Talia in "Ceremonies" was perfect and completely
in character, though I wonder what Delenn's thoughts were at that moment. I
guess the question might be what are Minbari feelings about such things?

 #: 508292 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:23
Sb: #507885-#<<War w/o End, p1>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Who said there was a mystery about Sheridan going to Z'ha'dum?  Kosh
seems to treat it as a fait accompli; so does Sheridan.  It seems fated that he
will go...the question is when, why, and under what circumstances, with what
results?

      See, sometimes the story works in the shadows (so to speak)...and other
times we're right out in the open, we hand you the playbook and tell you we're
coming right up the middle.  And *that's* when you've got to really worry.

                                                                      jms

 #: 507991 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  13:13:35
Sb: #Series Thoughts
Fm: JOHN M. KAHANE

     Hullo, Joe,

< Yes, the new Vorlon arrives in Walkabout. >

       Thanks for confirming this for me.  I'm glad to hear it, although we now
have to wait at least fourteen weeks to *see* "Walkabout." :<     On that
subject, has there been any word if we'll see two more episodes in July or
whether there's the possibility that we'll get to see the final five episodes
earlier than planned?

     Come to think of it, how's the business of renewal for Year 4 coming?

        jmk

 #: 508293 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:25
Sb: #507991-#Series Thoughts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, it seems that WB is set on airing the last batch of episdodes in
October, to ramp up for the November sweeps, assuming renewal.  We won't hear
final word on this for another week or two.

                                                                      jms

   "Earth Alliance station Babylon 5" instead of just "Babylon 5." ]

 #: 508294 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:10:27
Sb: #508108-WWE PART ONE
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The name of the station is still the same; it was built by the Earth
Alliance.  So that's how she'd refer to it.

      The rest will probably be clearer after part two.

    19-May-96  01:50:14
Sb: #507348-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
Fm: MARK D. SMITH

 >>     Valen led the prior shadow war and formed the grey council roughly 1000
years before B5's current time.<<

A question then on the pre Valen Minbari then.  Is my assumption that the
different Minbari castes were on the verge of destroying themselves prior to
the war and the appearance of Valen?

Mark

 #: 508628 S5/Babylon 5: General
    19-May-96  17:08:22
Sb: #508348-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      There was certainly some division among Minbari; Valen straightened a lot
of that out.

                                                                         jms

 #: 508321 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  23:49:48
Sb: #508288-#WwE Part 1 Question
Fm: MIKE HOFFMANN

>> It was done for story purposes. <<

Which reminds me of another question I had:

Had Sinclair stayed on as B5 commander, who would have been zapped to Centauri
Prime to confront Londo on the destroyed Centauri Prime?

I am assuming here (from Londo's many visions) that the Shadow's revenge on the
Centauri is as elementary a part of the Arc as Sinclair's going into the past.
As would be the encounter of someone of the trip into the past with the aged
emperor Mollari.

Writing this slams yet another teeny detail of the plot into my face: the 2 B5
commanders - the old one travelling into the past, the new one into the future.
Zathras love such symmetry! Like Zathras life. Also very sad!

Mike

 -Mike Hoffmann
Stock prices of Harddrive manufacturers dropped, when Bill Gates announced that
his decision
to rename his company "Microsoft" to "Moft" will save users approximately
15,000,000 bytes
in smaller copyright and disclaimer notices alone. (paraphrased from a post on
Usenet)

 #: 508629 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    19-May-96  17:08:24
Sb: #508321-#WwE Part 1 Question
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I appreciate the questions, but there are so many alternate timelines
flying around right now...I'm not sure I want to further complicate the issue.

                                                                     jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]