JMS on CompuServe (May 20, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/4

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon May 20 16:32:15 EDT 1996

    Sb: #507406-Joe an atheist?
    Sb: #507382-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
    Sb: #507377-#B5 Screen Saver sound
    Sb: #507430-Hole in Sinclair's Mind
    Sb: #507607-#<Interludes questions>
    Sb: #507604-#Cheers for Mira
    Sb: #507675-B5 Story Arc
    Sb: #507624-<War Without End pt1>
    Sb: #507575-<WWE - timeline ?>
    Sb: #507425-Watching the Shadows.
    Sb: #507512->Delein's Head<
    Sb: #507664-#Delenn
    Sb: #507724->>Interludes<<
    Sb: #507774-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
    Sb: #507685-#JMS: Arc a Fake?

   differing beliefs and cultural backgrounds could meet to learn to
   understand each other, hoping that with understanding comes
   acceptance..." ]

 #: 507691 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-96  22:10:09
Sb: #507406-Joe an atheist?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, that's the dream...of course, there are many days when netspeak and
the dream are far, far removed from one another.....

                                                                 jms

 [ SPOILERS ABOUT WAR WITHOUT PART II FOLLOW -- These are biggies.  Continue
   at your own risk....
       .
        .
         .
          .
           .
            .
             .
              .
               .
                .
                 .
                  .
                   .
                   .
                  .
                 .
                .
               .
              .
             .
            .
           .
          .
         .
        .
       .
 ]

   Without End, Part 2" using the same device Delenn used when she became
   part-human was a bit of a spoiler for what was to come. ]

 #: 507692 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-96  22:10:10
Sb: #507382-#ATTN JMS: How old is...
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      All I'll say is that I have nothing to do with the previews, and I never
see them or know what's in them until the broadcast.  I see 'em when you do.

    17-May-96  07:37:00
Sb: #507320-#B5 Screen Saver sound
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

Joe,
    Has the B5 Screen Saver been released in a Mac version yet?

 #: 507693 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-96  22:10:12
Sb: #507377-#B5 Screen Saver sound
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've been told that the early decision to do a Mac version wasn't
actually a decision, but a thought experiment, and for now they're staying with
a PC version.

                                                                       jms

   hood and saying, "I know you!" while she and the Grey Council were
   interrogating him at the Battle of the Line really happened that way or
   if the line was bleed-through from Sinclair remembering it at that time.]

 #: 507694 S5/Babylon 5: General
    17-May-96  22:10:15
Sb: #507430-Hole in Sinclair's Mind
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, it was bleed-through.

                                                                     jms

   better. ]

 #: 507695 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:16
Sb: #507607-#<Interludes questions>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      In a way, each subsequent season tends to become stronger because now you
know who these people are.  If you come to care about them, then the events
that affect them have more power.  I've heard from folks who've watched the
first season or two over again, and now that they know who these people are,
found them much stronger than the first time through.  It's the nature of the
beast.

                                                                         jms

 #: 507604 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  19:15:34
Sb: #506761-#Cheers for Mira
Fm: PHILIP HORNSEY

>>      Exactly.  A Heinlein hero isn't a bad description.

Wish it was mine. My best friend is a Heinlein nut and made that observation
right after Fall of Night.

Incidently, said friend, and his SO (also a B5 fanatic and Good Person), are
getting married on the 25th of May. I am standing up with him, and will thus be
required to give the formal wedding toast. We are both traditionalists in such
matters.

I am not a writer.

You are a writer.

These are two of the finest human beings alive.

Any suggestions?

<beg beg plead plead grovel grovel>

Phil ^^^^
FREE EARTH!

 #: 507696 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:19
Sb: #507604-#Cheers for Mira
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      A toast for a wedding, eh?  I'm not usually asked to do this sort of
thing -- I generally avoid those morbid parentheticals of the human soul,
weddings and funerals -- but off the top of my head....

      The heart is an inland sea, surrounded on either side by infinities of
time.  On one side, the unsteady molecule, shaken by storm and the unlikely
perambulations of amino acids, paraded across the centuries until their name
was man, and woman, until they created poetries and cities and walked across
the Sea of Tranquility.  On the other side, an uncertain future, waiting to be
shaped by hands clasped across that ocean of possibilities.  Looked at from
here, in the starlight of sanctified vows, that horizon can be daunting, even
frightening.  But there is nothing so dark or so profound that it can outwit
the infinity that is behind you, or undo all that went into creating you.  Any
problems before you are temporary; but the inland sea of the heart is eternal.
May your journey be filled with calm seas and clear skies, guided by the
compass of your entwined souls.

                                                                        jms

 #: 507675 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  21:15:58
Sb: #506767-#B5 Story Arc
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

Well, I'm up to Signs and Portents in the B5 Review-a-thon. Superb episode,
Joe, especially now that I can see what you gave us two years ago. I have a few
opinions and I'm wondering if my take on things is right. I hope you don't mind
comments and questions on the older episodes. I >am< trying not to deconstruct
each one, keeping in mind that you've still got two more seasons to
produce/write and only a limited amount of time.

First, though, let me say that the scene where Delenn first met Morden was
beautifully done. When her Grey Council insignia started to come out, and she
realized why, you dimmed the lights over Morden--putting him in shadow. Oooh,
you're so mean. I didn't catch that the first time, though in hindsight, with
all the talk of Shadows, it seems obvious. "They're here."

I rememberedf Morden's first appearance, and remember knowing that it was
crucial to the long-term plot, but seeing it now gives it so much more
significance. He was there to find the Shadows an ally. I also realized why
Morden chose the Centauri over, for instance, the Narn. All G'Kar wanted was
revenge on the Centauri. He couldn't see beyond that. That wasn't good enough
for the Shadows. Londo, however, wanted the universe to kneel at the Centauri's
feet--which would work perfectly in the Shadow scheme, as we've been seeing for
the past year.

Morden's several run-ins with Kosh were very interesting. He seemed almost
afraid to meet with him at first, but obviously wasn't later on. Mind you, I
kept replaying the tape to see if we could hear the Shadow buzz-talk during
those scenes, but you didn't do that to us until much later.

Another fine point of the episode: When Lady Ladira saw the Shadow attack on
the raider vessel in the cup of coffee in Sinclair's office, and then the
cutting back to the attack, and finally, she drops and breaks the cup as the
vessel is destroyed and we see the Shadow ship for the first time.

I'm also quite relieved to hear Lady Ladira tell Sinclair that the future is
constantly changing. Maybe you're not gonna blow up the station, after all. <G>

I saw Signs and Portents at ICON a couple of years ago. I remember then telling
everyone on my BBS to watch it, that it was the best episode yet. It is equally
as good today, if not more so, because now I KNOW what the signs and portents
mean. I salute your use of foreshadowing, Mr. S. I'm going to try to model my
own after yours from now on.

        Meryl

 #: 507697 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:23
Sb: #507675-B5 Story Arc
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks; foreshadowing is tough, because it implies the audience is going
to BE there x-years down the road to Get It, and you have to risk the audience
going "huh?" one time too many and wandering away...but nothing good comes
without risk.

                                                                       jms

 #: 507624 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  19:58:45
Sb: #507322-#<War Without End pt1>
Fm: BRUCE "FIRESTORM" S.

>      Careful...we're straying into story ideas here....

My bad.. I didn't mean to prompt Daniel on that bit.

if you need anything more or less...

I guess I can say 1000 pardons! <G>

 #: 507698 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:24
Sb: #507624-<War Without End pt1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Not a problem.

                                                                jms

 #: 507575 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  18:42:12
Sb: #507349-#<WWE - timeline ?>
Fm: RAE AUGENSTEIN

Just saw "WWE pt. 1." Fixin' to watch it again here in a second.

 Guess this explains why the Minbari rejected everyone down the line for Cmdr.
of B5 until they got to Sinclair.

 You're a clever little booger.

    Rae ^^^^
    Check out my B5 episode guide at:
    http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/Rae_

 #: 507699 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:27
Sb: #507575-<WWE - timeline ?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I try....

                                                                      jms

 #: 507700 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:29
Sb: #507425-Watching the Shadows.
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Bloopers and video releases aren't going to be happening for a bit yet.
In time....

                                                               jms

   in the "future" in "Babylon Squared."  Asks JMS how he's going to account
   for that. ]

 #: 507701 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:31
Sb: #507512->Delein's Head<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Won't have to, because you never saw what you think you saw.  All you saw
was an arm.

                                                                      jms

 #: 507664 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  20:57:44
Sb: #Delenn
Fm: KAREN E. BAHNSEN

Hi Joe,

        An email friend of mine, Hui L. Lee, from Singapore is an avid fan of
the show. His latest episode is In The Shadow of Z'Ha'Dum.  He'd like to say
"Hi" and ask a question.

        Q:  "What are the chances of Delenn evolving beyond her present state
of being?"

        He says all this talk about characters dying has caught the attention
of a lot of sci-fi fans he knows.  He's too interested in the story to avoid
spoilers, and he stays up on Friday nights for the 1:00am or 2:00am showing to
make sure the VCR does its job!  (yup, he's one of us all right)  <g>

Karen

 #: 507702 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  22:10:33
Sb: #507664-#Delenn
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Depends on what he means by evolving; internally, yes; externally, no.

                                                               jms

 #: 507724 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  23:21:52
Sb: #>>Interludes<<
Fm: ROWAN KAISER

OK, one question about IaE.  Was the physical force used on Sheridan projected
by Kosh or the encountersuit?

Sin wreak`oar Mistie, Montie, Jordanite and PITAS
Emperor of SPAMM, High Lord of Thread Drift
Kidism Patrol; Recruitment Division and Spoiler Police

 #: 507854 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  03:43:01
Sb: #507724->>Interludes<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes.

                                                                      jms

 #: 507774 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    17-May-96  23:56:52
Sb: #507305-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: CELIA J. PENHAM

Ok, this doesn't have anything to do with the current message thread, but has
there been any thought about a B5 novel?  I mean, one that tells THE ENTIRE
STORY?  I realize it'd be really, really long, and quite an undertaking, but
I'd sure buy it.

Celia
KP, SPAMM

 #: 507855 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    18-May-96  03:43:04
Sb: #507774-#<War Without End, Pt 1>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      A lot of folks have suggested it...only time will tell if it ever gets
done.

    17-May-96  21:44:22
Sb: #JMS: Arc a Fake?
Fm: MERYL  YOURISH

>>The story starts off slow, builds, then tapers off.

I myself am not sure what you are getting at. <<

All I'm trying to say, Al, is that that is the essence of the novel form, among
others. Science fiction is a recent branch of world literature. Science fiction
writers use the techniques that have been developed over the centuries.

I've forgotten the labels for each of the steps, but surely you remember
learning things like "climax" and "denouement" in English classes, particularly
when dissecting short stories.

I'm just trying to point out to you that what Joe is doing is definitely new to
television, certainly to science fiction television, but it is not in any way
new to literatture. The "arc" goes all the way back to Beowulf (written) and,
I'm sure, to the oral traditions that we had before.

        Meryl

 #: 507861 S5/Babylon 5: General
    18-May-96  03:54:02
Sb: #507685-#JMS: Arc a Fake?
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Your observation is correct; the structure of B5 to a great extent is
that of the novel, which is, after all, what's being attempted.  So you go from
introduction, to rising action, to conflict, complication, climax and
denouement.  A novel for TV.

                                                                         jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]