JMS on CompuServe (May 27, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 1/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Tue May 28 00:01:38 EDT 1996

    Sb: #512349-"War" and Delenn
    Sb: #512448-Great Show !
    Sb: #512456-Babylon designs
    Sb: #512482-WWE <<Major Spoiler>>
    Sb: #512461-Sinclair's Scar & More
    Sb: #512521-#<WWE2>
    Sb: #512452-<War w/o End>
    Sb: #512446-<<WWE2-Vorlons?>>
    Sb: #512460-#Vorlons vs. Shadows
    Sb: #How Time Flies
    Sb: #512674-The Encounter (UK Con)
    Sb: #512601-WWE2-Cousin Bruce Morrow
    Sb: #512641-#Mira's words on JMS/B5
    Sb: #512722-<<War Without End>>
    Sb: #512679-<Grey 17>
    Sb: #512733-<War w/o End>
    Sb: #512565-#<War w/o End II>

 #: 512349 S5/Babylon 5: General
    25-May-96  19:57:49
Sb: #"War" and Delenn
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Hello again, Joe.

After watching "War" for the 20th or so time (can you tell I liked it?),
there's one thing that I can't figure out and wondered if you could help me
out.

When Delenn is in the center chair on the White Star as Sheridan is lost for
the second time, what causes her to go down into the station at *exactly* the
right moment to see and "rescue" Sheridan?  Was it just a "feeling" she had
(that's what I've concluded from re-watching it so many times), or was this
something she otherwise knew about.  Was it in her letter?  Don't see how, as
Sinclair was outside at the time and so wouldn't have known Sheridan would
re-appear there.

Thanks for a wonderful show.

 #: 512744 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  14:36:39
Sb: #512349-"War" and Delenn
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Mainly just a feeling she had, best to check everything out for herself,
make sure things were going properly, since they were getting right down to the
wire.  Also, in case Ivanova got into trouble trying to get into C&C, she
wanted to be closer to the situation to help, if necessary.

                                                                        jms

 #: 512745 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  14:36:42
Sb: #512448-Great Show !
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, much appreciated.

                                                                    jms

   also destroyed by the Shadows. ]

 #: 512746 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  14:36:45
Sb: #512456-Babylon designs
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  No, the first 3 Babylon stations never got much past the very
earliest stages of construction, just some hull elements, that sort of thing,
nothing that could be recognized.  Other forces took them out, mainly for
political reasons.

                                                                       jms

 #: 512482 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-May-96  23:59:55
Sb: #511862-#WWE <<Major Spoiler>>
Fm: TONI MULLER

>>Oddly enough, there was a squib on the news the other day that indicated
scientists were able, albeit briefly, to have the same subatomic particle exist
in two separate places at the same time, much to everyone's consternation. <<

Well, physics was not one of my strong suits, but I have to wonder if it is
more a question of the limitations of our current timing or photograpy
equipment?  How did they "prove" both existed simultaneously?

Toni

 #: 512747 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:46
Sb: #512482-WWE <<Major Spoiler>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       I dunno, but I'm *reasonably* sure there was math involved.

                                                                    jms

 #: 512461 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-May-96  23:13:05
Sb: #512384-#Sinclair's Scar & More
Fm: <DAVID L. GOLD>

>> David, you can say "it seems to me," but I'm telling you it wasn't, not in
relation to the scar.<<

Sorry.  Didn't mean to offend.  Sometimes the mind sees things and just HAS to
make a connection, regardless of reality.

Oh, and BTW, "War Without End" might not have been the best title.

Perhaps it should have been called "B4, And After" ?  <g>

                <Dave>

 #: 512748 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:48
Sb: #512461-Sinclair's Scar & More
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Wasn't offended, just trying to be clear.

                                                                    jms

   Minbari language section of "War Without End" (Part 2). ]

 #: 512749 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:50
Sb: #512521-#<WWE2>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It wasn't "airtight," it was "alright," which SHOULD have been "all
right," but the person writing the caption got it wrong.

      And thanks.

                                                                       jms

   handle situations as they arise in the War Room when our heroes are
   away or asleep. ]

 #: 512750 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:52
Sb: #512452-<War w/o End>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Yes, the war room would have to have support personnel there when the big
guys are off having fun or sleeping.

                                                                    jms

   recognized the Vorlons out of their shells. ]

 #: 512751 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:54
Sb: #512446-<<WWE2-Vorlons?>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      They'd recognize them from legends of their own past, yes.  But bear in
mind that the Minbari and Vorlons had already been working together in the war
effort.

                                                                        jms

 #: 512460 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    25-May-96  23:07:14
Sb: #Vorlons vs. Shadows
Fm: LINDA B. DONAHUE

Hi Joe...

I remember once reading that you said that the Vorlons and the Shadows weren't
just two sides of a coin...that they were the same coin.

What does that mean?  Are they of the same fabric?  The same DNA?

Are we going to learn more about the Vorlons?  And are we going to find out
more about who the Shadows are, and what it is that they want?  And how do
humans tie into this (since humans have a great destiny)?

BTW...this show is really amazing.  I'm a latecomer to it, and am just
astounded by it's depth and personality.  It truly is an epic, in the classic
sense, where there is no black and white, and you can never tell who is going
to be a friend, and who is going to stab you in the back.  Keep it up!

Any word on renewal yet?

lb(n)d

 #: 512752 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:36:56
Sb: #512460-#Vorlons vs. Shadows
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  For now, I'll just say that you'll learn a LOT more about the
shadows, and their relations to the Vorlons, by the end of the third season.

    26-May-96  14:36:59
Sb: #How Time Flies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I've been going over my notes on the show, and just thought I'd pass this
along to the newer folks to show just how long this show has been in the works.
In looking it all over, I'm already kind of astonished at how large a chunk of
my life this thing has consumed already.

      1986: Babylon 5 is thunk up.

      1987: Pilot screenplay and series treatment written, artwork
commissioned.

      1987-1991: Five years wandering in the desert of studios and networks,
trying to sell B5.

      June 1991: We place Babylon 5 with PTEN.

      October 1991: B5 announced to the world.

      August 1992: Filming begins on B5 pilot movie.

      September 1992: Filming completed on B5 pilot, post production starts.

      February 1993: Pilot airs.

      February 1994: First season begins airing.

      It's odd sometimes to consider that though this is the 3rd season of
Babylon 5, it's been a part of my life for 10 years, about 25% of my life;
trying to sell it, selling it, making it.  And this month marks about 5 years
since we placed it with PTEN.

      Jeez, but that's a long haul....

                                                                        jms

 #: 512945 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  19:52:20
Sb: #512674-The Encounter (UK Con)
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, not likely.

    26-May-96  09:55:35
Sb: #WWE2-Cousin Bruce Morrow
Fm: ALAN L. RAVITCH

Hi  Joe.....

Just out of curiousity...was there something special (like you know, a
"celebrity request" for a part cause they like the show, and/or what were the
circumstances that led to East Coast Radio Legend Cousin Bruce Morrow's part
in WWE2?

As always, I continue to be astounded by the quality and the complexity of
the writing and the arc.

:-)  Alan

RAdm. Alan L. Ravitch,  Internet:alanr at pcnet.com CIS:73627,3126 AOL:AlanR1778
                                            WWW:  http://www.pcnet.com/~alanr
President/CO, USS Nautilus NCC-1778 Hartford, CT-A STAR TREK, BABYLON 5, & SF
Fan Organization 860-635-TREK  WWW: http://www.pcnet.com/~alanr/ncc-1778.html

 #: 512946 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  19:52:21
Sb: #512601-WWE2-Cousin Bruce Morrow
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks.  No, basically, he just kinda wanted to do it, and we said sure.

    26-May-96  11:22:25
Sb: #Mira's words on JMS/B5
Fm: BRENT BARRETT

Joe,

I don't know if you got a chance to read Mira's on-line AOL conference on May
21, but she had one great statement about you and B5 that I just had to repost
for all:

 "Sometimes Joe surprises me with parallels to the political situation
  in my own country. He deeply understands all about human
  relationships, political confrontations, all the basic questions of
  the human condition. In that way B5 sometimes has the depth of a
  classical piece of literature. Coming from that background, both in
  my upbringing and my acting career, I am proud to be a part of it."
                                                  -- Mira Furlan

 #: 512947 S5/Babylon 5: General
    26-May-96  19:52:22
Sb: #512641-#Mira's words on JMS/B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      That's great, she's very generous.  Thanks.

                                                                    jms

 #: 512722 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  13:42:00
Sb: #511098-#<<War Without End>>
Fm: SHANE S. SHELLENBARGER

How about that line as a promo?
"Babylon 5:  It will spoil you for REGULAR television."

 #: 512948 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  19:52:25
Sb: #512722-<<War Without End>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Warners'd never use it....

                                                                    jms

   ceremony seen briefly in the interview with Mira Furlan on Sci-Fi Buzz
   will be yet another variation on the Rebirth Ceremoney. ]

 #: 512949 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  19:52:28
Sb: #512679-<Grey 17>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Nope.

      Minbari *do* have more than one ceremony, after all....

                                                                       jms

 #: 512733 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  14:14:50
Sb: #512387-#<War w/o End>
Fm: ELYSE M. GRASSO

 >  (The tentative title for the first episode of year four is "The
 > Hour of the Wolf.")

Do you have a tentative title for season 4 yet, or is that classified, either
for spoiler purposes or until we're sure there will be a season 4?

 #: 512951 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  19:52:31
Sb: #512733-<War w/o End>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I generally hold back on the overall title until we're deeper into it.

                                                                    jms

   Kosh's telepathic dream to Sheridan in "All Alone in the Night." ]

 #: 512952 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    26-May-96  19:52:34
Sb: #512565-#<War w/o End II>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, Zathras isn't the man in the middle.  Someone else is.  And it
isn't/wasn't Sinclair, either.

                                                                    jms

 [ Continued in next section -- BB ]