JMS on CompuServe (May 30, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu May 30 14:59:16 EDT 1996

    Sb: #514761-How Time Flies
    Sb: #514594-B5 Screen Saver
    Sb: #514647-JMS:Chicago Blues Fest
    Sb: #514608-WwE1 & Zathras
    Sb: #514827-Sinclair's Scar & More
    Sb: #514951-Mira's words on JMS/B5
    Sb: #514925-<<Opening Credits SD+>>
    Sb: #514926-<<WWE 2 Time Flashes>>
    Sb: #514922-<WWE 1 Ivanova>
    Sb: #514978-<sinclair season5?>
    Sb: #514960-<<UK Dust 2 Dust>>
    Sb: #514943-<Sheridan:A Man Unstuck>
    Sb: #jms on radio in LA

 #: 514761 S5/Babylon 5: General
    29-May-96  14:32:00
Sb: #514485-#How Time Flies
Fm: CHRIS CROUGHTON (UK)

Joe,

>       Every writer has one seminal work for which he or she is most
> known. For Heinlein, STRANGER IN A STRANGE LAND; for Herbert, DUNE; for
> Smith, the LENSMAN books; for Tolkein, LORD OF THE RINGS; for Bradbury
> THE MARTIAN CHRONICLES. I don't put myself anywhere NEAR that
> league...I'd be doing good just to carry their pencils...but my sense is
> that even though I've done a lot of stuff prior to B5, and will likely
> do a lot more after, this is almost certainly the one work for which
> I'll be most known, and remembered. (Which is also why I'm working so
> hard to make it right.)

That strikes me as a difference.  The others you mention didn't know they were
writing the piece by which they'd be remembered, but you do.  I know if it was
me that would make me very self-conscious about the writing, kind of like
knowing the future.  Do you think that after this anything else will be a bit
of a let-down?  Or is that why you want to get out of TV and do something
different, so you won't be competing with yourself?

> Doesn't bother me at all; I'm proud and pleased to be associated with
> this show, and always will be.

As you have a right to be, it's not everyone who makes their dreams come to
fruition this dramatically (oops, sorry about the pun!)...

Chris

 #: 515190 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:11:07
Sb: #514761-How Time Flies
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      My sense about getting out of TV when B5 is over is that I feel I'd've
said most of what I want to say for television.  The only things that could
keep me in would be an anthology, or something right on the cutting edge,
something with which we could make another kind of history.  But those don't
tend to come around very often....

                                                                    jms

 #: 515191 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:11:10
Sb: #514594-B5 Screen Saver
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, as it happens, no Mac screen saver for now.

                                                                    jms

   for the Comicon. ]

 #: 515192 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:11:11
Sb: #514647-JMS:Chicago Blues Fest
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I think they've got me scheduled up the wazoo, so I think that will
preclude any expeditions.

                                                                    jms

   means that he used to be in Draal's position.  If so, why isn't he now? ]

 #: 515193 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:11:13
Sb: #514608-WwE1 & Zathras
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      No, just that Zathras has worked on the machine, and survived it, the
longest of all the others.

                                                                    jms

   to their ambassador. ]

 #: 515194 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:11:15
Sb: #514827-Sinclair's Scar & More
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Well, Minbar isn't being very receptive to Earth at the moment, and will
probably just put them on hold...indefinitely....

    29-May-96  18:41:46
Sb: #512947-#Mira's words on JMS/B5
Fm: ANTHONY J. BRYANT

Joe:

Ever thought about (probably post-series) novelizing the arc itself?

I'd love to read it!

Tony

 #: 515204 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:39:59
Sb: #514951-Mira's words on JMS/B5
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      One crisis at a time....

                                                                    jms

   formation and for Ivanova's promotion, but not for the change in the
   uniforms of our heroes. ]

 #: 515205 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:40:03
Sb: #514925-<<Opening Credits SD+>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Because changing one picture, or a credit caption, is a *heck* of a lot
simpler than changing 4 pictures and redoing the whole thing.

                                                                    jms

   an off-camera time flash in "War Without End." ]

 #: 515207 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:40:07
Sb: #514926-<<WWE 2 Time Flashes>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It'd be very difficult to go back now and just drop in those other time
flashes; it's hard to work that in dramatically.

                                                                    jms

 #: 514922 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-May-96  17:57:56
Sb: #513907-#<WWE 1 Ivanova>
Fm: THE JAWA / JAWA #2

        Lemme get this straight:
        You hand this woman a script and say to her, "Miss C., everyone around
you is dead and you are in command.
        The station is falling down around you and you're in terrible pain,
about to die by decompression or laser burns or crushing--or worse, you could
become a Morden and be controlled by the Shadows the rest of your life.
        You have no hope of rescue.
        You may not know where you are."
        And then you say she was a tiny bit on the hysterical side?
        Frankly, Joe, I was sitting there thinking she wasn't hysterical
*enough,* and that's the honest truth <G>.

                                                The Jawa (and the hedgehog)
                                                Kidism Patrol
                                                "At least there is symmetry."

 #: 515208 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:40:09
Sb: #514922-<WWE 1 Ivanova>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

"You hand this woman a script and say to her, "Miss C., everyone around you is
dead and you are in command.
        The station is falling down around you and you're in terrible pain,
about to die by decompression or laser burns or crushing--or worse, you could
become a Morden and be controlled by the Shadows the rest of your life.
        You have no hope of rescue.
        You may not know where you are."
        And then you say she was a tiny bit on the hysterical side?"

      Hey...from where I sit, that's just another day at the office.

      Don't know many producer/writers, do you?

                                                                    jms

   to do until season five.  Asks if this means Sinclair will return or if
   this was just an alteration of the overall arc. ]

 #: 515209 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:40:11
Sb: #514978-<sinclair season5?>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      The arc is a fluid creature when she needs to be....

    29-May-96  18:50:48
Sb: #514483-#<<UK Dust 2 Dust>>
Fm: WILLIAM H. DIPAOLA

>>G'Kar spoke about the return of the shadows meaning the extinction of every
race.
Could this be another pointer towards mass extinctions being on the way? Don't
forget the Markab.....<<

        Hmmm. Well, we know that the Narns will be all but annihilated, and
it's easy enough to infer what will happen to the Centauri as well. <g> The
Drazi may go extinct, as well as several other of the lesser races. We'll just
have to wait and see.  ;-)

 #: 515210 S5/Babylon 5: General
    30-May-96  00:48:16
Sb: #514960-<<UK Dust 2 Dust>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      BTW, here's something to notice when you watch DTD again.  The montage
scene with Londo and G'Kar lasts, I think, 10 maybe 12 seconds.  But that one
piece took John and me *hours* to put together.  Go through frame by frame, and
you'll see some of those bits are only 3 or 4 frames long (one second is 24
frames).  We were nearly blind by the time we were done, but it was worth it.

                                                                    jms

 #: 514943 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    29-May-96  18:39:35
Sb: #<Sheridan:A Man Unstuck>
Fm: <DAVID L. GOLD>

What really bugs me about that is, okay - Sheridan was not only unstuck in
time, but unstuck in *space* as well.  Why did he appear on the Centari
homeworld?  Why not on Earth, or Minbar, or well - deep space?  Perhaps there's
more we don't know.  Also, remember Londo said Sheridan had "returned from the
Abyss".  The Abyss of *what*? The Abyss of going back in the time vortex?  The
Abyss of deep space?  The Abyss of the Shadow's base on Z'ha'dum?  What?

And if he jumped to the place where his future-self was, then what happened to
his future-self once the present-day Sheridan popped in?

Man, this is gonna be the longest summer since "Best Of Both Worlds".

   <Dave>

 #: 515211 S6/Babylon 5: Upcoming
    30-May-96  00:48:17
Sb: #514943-<Sheridan:A Man Unstuck>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Simple logic.  Sheridan slid forward in time, to wherever he was at that
moment in the future.  He didn't just go hopping around aimlessly; if he
flipped 10 days ahead, he'd come into his body at that point 10 days from now,
wherever he happened to be.  At that moment, 17 years down the road, he
happened to be on Centauri Prime.

    30-May-96  00:48:18
Sb: #jms on radio in LA
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      For those in the Los Angeles area, I'll be appearing on my old stomping
grounds, HOUR 25, on KPFK-FM 90.7 this Friday from 10 p.m. to midnight.