JMS on CompuServe (Nov 07, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS*

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Thu Nov 7 17:26:16 EST 1996

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #605901-#>>ZHD - Thoughts<<
    Sb: #606052-<<Hour Packed>>
    Sb: #606262-B5 in Newsweek
    Sb: #606288-Marcon in Columbus, Ohio
    Sb: #606265->>ZHD - Thoughts<<

 #: 605901 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-Nov-96  13:25:59
Sb: #605748-#>>ZHD - Thoughts<<
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

>> My thoughts on their own wouldn't light up a cheap flashlight. <<

That I find hard to believe.  Here is why.  You've asked the questions, that is
something that most people never even do.  That right there gets you a decent
hand held spotlight <g>.

The thing that I personally find interesting is that I think that when we start
answering the questions we run into a mystery, a point where science blends
into philosophy and theology and you have to eventually say, "I can ask these
questions, but I can also live withou knowing *THE* answer".  It's when we
accept that somethings are mysteries, and that's the best we'll get.  It is at
that point where faith, whatever your faith is in -- even if it is faith in an
eternal nothing, comes to play.

What I am truly enjoying about this show and the work you and the other put
into it is how it asks these questions, and it doesn't necessarially force
answers on us.  Most literature, if it even asks the questions, gives us the
authors answers.  Here, you have asked these questions on TV, much as life
itself does, and as life does, you haven't forced your answers down our
throats, you've allowed us to make up our own minds and you've given us room to
explore ourselves and beyond.  Art being life.

I truly believe that you have created a masterpiece on the par of Shakespere.
You have recreated and redefined the rules for TV, you've brought a maturity to
the medium not normally found there and you have given us a glimpse of the
promise of the medium.  For that your work deserves great praise.  Add to it
that it tells an awesome story of epic grandure, a story that gets better every
time it is viewed, and that is of an outstanding quality, and it is not only
the best offering on TV today, but the best to date in the history of the
medium.

Joe, I am serious when I say this, I believe that you and the people you work
with deserve a Nobel Prize in Literature for this show.  I believe it is that
powerful.

For that, and much more, thank you.

--Scott

 #: 606122 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-Nov-96  21:21:14
Sb: #605901-#>>ZHD - Thoughts<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thank you.  I can only hope that you are proven right by time, and that
the Nobel committee hears about it....

       As for answers...since I have none to give, I can't shove them down
anyone's throats.  And if I did have them, they'd only be *my* answers, not
anybody else's, so again, there's no point.

       I'm a big believer in the power of critical thinking; don't just have an
opinion, have an *informed* opinion, and challenge it yourself, be rigorous.
Even if you come back to the same opinion later, at least you will now be able
to defend or explain your view rationally.

                                                                       jms

 #: 606123 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    06-Nov-96  21:21:15
Sb: #606052-<<Hour Packed>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

       Thanks....

    06-Nov-96  22:36:51
Sb: #B5 in Newsweek
Fm: MICHAEL GRABOIS

Joe-- You've probably read this already, but do you know if Bruce and Jerry
will still be going to the launch, now that it's been delayed? I'm going to be
there too, in the VIP section.

 #: 606291 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Nov-96  01:21:28
Sb: #606262-B5 in Newsweek
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Heard about it...don't know how the current schedule is with them.

    07-Nov-96  00:35:23
Sb: #602481-#Marcon in Columbus, Ohio
Fm: NICK MURRAY

Joe,

How far in advance did the Marcon folks invite you for this past Marcon?

Nick

 #: 606292 S5/Babylon 5: General
    07-Nov-96  01:21:29
Sb: #606288-Marcon in Columbus, Ohio
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Have no idea anymore.

    06-Nov-96  22:39:46
Sb: #606122-#>>ZHD - Thoughts<<
Fm: SCOTT BAKER

>> As for answers...since I have none to give, I can't shove them down anyone's
throats. [...] I'm a big believer in the power of critical thinking; don't just
have an opinion, have an *informed* opinion, and challenge it yourself, be
rigorous.  Even if you come back to the same opinion later, at least you will
now be able to defend or explain your view rationally. <<

So does thatmean you've formed the opinion that you have no answers, or is the
show part of you trying to find answers?

--Scott

 #: 606293 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    07-Nov-96  01:21:31
Sb: #606265->>ZHD - Thoughts<<
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      It means I have some ideas that work for me, but no Answers that could
work for anyone else.  I have rules and guidelines based on what seems basic
ethical behavior...but I'm constantly working to revise them, and question if
they work as well as they might.

      But it all comes down to what was said in Lost Horizon: "Be kind to one
another."