JMS on CompuServe (Nov 10, 1996) *POSSIBLE SPOILERS* 2/2

Brent Barrett bbarrett at speedlink.com
Mon Nov 11 01:01:37 EST 1996

 [ Continued from previous section -- BB ]

   ftp://ftp.speedlink.com/pub/bbarrett/cis/
                    - or -
   http://www.speedlink.com/bbarrett/b5/

    Sb: #608596-<<WOLF IS EPIC!!>>
    Sb: #608620-<Wolf>--Morden thoughts
    Sb: #608554-What EHT Mr Garibaldi
    Sb: #608571-<The Hour of theWolf>
    Sb: #608615-#Sheridans Mistake
    Sb: #608631-HotW--The Widening Gyre

   to people and the way the Shadow "Eye" speaks to people is important. ]

 #: 608635 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:29
Sb: #608596-<<WOLF IS EPIC!!>>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I figured that they would both tend to use a patriarchal influence, which
would tie into so many races having that system.

                                                                    jms

   and recently came back with "Z'Ha'Dum" and wanted to say he's back. ]

 #: 608636 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:32
Sb: #608620-<Wolf>--Morden thoughts
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks, and thanks for rediscovering us.

                                                                    jms

   show. ]

 #: 608637 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:33
Sb: #608554-What EHT Mr Garibaldi
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Primarily, more money would let us enhance certain elements, but the
overall direction is what it is.  The money doesn't affect that one way or
another.

    10-Nov-96  15:59:10
Sb: #<The Hour of theWolf>
Fm: MORRIS L. GAVANT, M.D.

Great episode, tension filled and another demonstration that it's the acting
that makes the show despite the great computer graphics.  Opening graphics also
the best yet.

This was a very arc intensive episode.  But, it appears that it's written to
allow newcomers trying out the season premier to sign on for the final two
years without needing much of the earlier history.  Is this the intent? Or, are
we so much into the characters at this point that you just gotta "join in when
you join in" and do your best to catch up?  I'm so into the story now I can't
get out to see it from a new viewers perspective.

It has been tough though.  We've been getting B4 at 1:30 AM on Sunday morning
for the past month.  Now even if I don't stay up to watch I can't fall asleep
until I hear the VCR timer turn the TV on!  Hopefully, as the national ratings
continue to improve we'll get WLMT in Memphis to move the show back to an
earlier time.

Dr. G
Give MEmphis Tennessee

 #: 608638 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:35
Sb: #608571-<The Hour of theWolf>
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      I dunno...I hear frequently from people who've joined the show at much
later points, and after just a couple of eps, are pretty much up to speed.
Certainly the recap is designed to help.

    10-Nov-96  18:03:59
Sb: #Sheridans Mistake
Fm: MICHAEL  ZITAGLIO

Hi Joe,

I guess Sheridan made the wrong decision to go to ZHDM.

Mike

 #: 608639 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:37
Sb: #608615-#Sheridans Mistake
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Maybe he did...maybe he didn't.

    10-Nov-96  19:05:06
Sb: #HotW--The Widening Gyre
Fm: REBECCA ESCHLIMAN

jms -

Things are truly falling apart, and the center is definitely not holding...

After "Z'Ha'Dum," I feel like I'm on an ice floe breaking up.  I don't think we
viewers could ever have guessed how relevant G'Kar's Yeats quote would become.
Everyone involved seems to be becoming unglued, unhinged, unincorporated or
uninvolved.

Cartagia and Morden share a mental ungluing, but offer a sharp contrast in
physical state.

The League is now unincorporated.  Delenn is disencorporating herself from the
longtime Minbari-Vorlon linkage.

Ivanova stars out uninvolved from the force of her "survivor guilt."

Lyta Alexander may become more uninvolved with the DarkVorlon.

G'Kar seems destined to become uninvolved with his role one Babylon 5.

And at the same time, there seems to be a counter-development. Uninvolvement or
ungluing of current affiliations seems dictating by individual determinations
of responsibility:

    The League members are taking immediate responsibility for their
homeworlds.

    Ivanova is taking responsibility for the Army of Light (such as remains).

    Lyta is taking responsibility for locating the Sheridan-that-might-be
(although I can't help but think that her part in attracting the notice of the
"Eye" is running counter to her parting instruction from DarKosh -- "Do not
interfere."  My guess is that there will be a price for her to pay.

    G'Kar is taking responsibility for Garibaldi.  From the previews of the
following episode, I wonder how the currently ineffable G'Kar will be affected
by his experience.

    Londo is clearly taking responsibility for the welfare of his people.  And
I found that G'Kar's commentary about Londo at the beginning was singularly
moving -- empathy for the enemy is a remarkable state of mind.  On the whole,
G'Kar as chronicler of these unglued times is a wonderful thing that I will be
sorry to see end (I suppose I want to see the "Book of G'Kar" on the bestseller
list).

The one mythic antecedent that hit me upside the head in this one was the three
queens gathering up Arthur for healing in Avalon -- the three queens were
there; Arthur was there; Avalon seemed to be there.  But everything was turned
around.  Sheridan seems to have wound up in Merlin's cave rather than being
cosseted by the three queens in Avalon.

There were weird parallels established:  Sheridan's descent into the bowels of
B5 for his "moment of perfect beauty" with his current situation, for one.
Morden's eerie flaking-off of his nuclear-treated epidermis with Delenn's
earlier emergence from the chrysalis, for another.

The one frustration I can see coming is that we've become emotionally invested
in ALL the characters, so that when an episode concentrates on G'Kar or Delenn
or whoever -- as much as we want to find out their particular situation, there
will be characters ignored in any given episode for whose fates we have deep
concern ("But what about..."), and whose stories will have to wait for another
episode.

So, thank you for Season 4's mounting agonies, whether the agonies of the
characters or the agonies of the viewers.

-rje-

I can almost feel the rustling-in of some kind of enchantment already.

 #: 608640 S6/Babylon 5: Spoilers
    10-Nov-96  19:27:39
Sb: #608631-HotW--The Widening Gyre
Fm: J. MICHAEL STRACZYNSKI

      Thanks...yeah, it's kind of a hodge-podge of things, which I'm trying to
look at in different ways and reinterpret, putting in other combinations than
what may usually be the case.  It's really dancing on the high wire time.